Your Favorite Era? Pre-Crisis? Post-Crisis? Post-Zero Hour? New 52? Rebirth?

Pre and post Crisis. I started reading right in the middle of Crisis. I became obsessed with the history of the characters that died or were erased, while still keeping up with the then current events for the next decade.

1 Like

I guess if forced to choose, I’d say post Zero Hour. I thought DC was doing a lot of great work before the New 52 reboot though I understand their sales weren’t reflecting that. I’m also enjoying what I’ve seen of Rebirth though I’ve mostly stuck with Bat Books and Wonder Woman.

Post-Crisis was a step in the right direction generally speaking but was a bit of an awkward transition. Some books were rough and there was too much of that overly verbose, “Let’s explain everything we are doing in great detail,” crap characteristic of older comics. I enjoy the early 90 books for their simple charm and growth in some ways, but it was extremely trendy getting into crisis events for all their characters to keep things, “Interesting.” It was overly gimmicky. Through the mid-nineties forward, they seemed to focus more on good story telling. My only complaint is that they kind of fell in love with the dark and gritty tone for too many of their stories in the 200s, but otherwise, it’s good stuff.

New 52 can go burn in a fire. It had good stories, but those stories were generally in spite of the reboot not because of it.

1 Like

Should pre and post Zero Hour really be considered different eras? I know it was a bit of a reboot, but it was an extremely soft reboot just slightly restructuring some stuff, right? If you count that as a dividing point, shouldn’t you also consider Infinite Crisis a dividing point since I think that also tweaked a few things. I see everything from COIE to Flashpoint as a single long story with just the usual comic book retcons tweaking things.

2 Likes

I’d say New 52 because that’s when I finally got into comics. But I like a lot of the other stuff too.

1 Like

52 for me it’s when I started diving in the hardest

1 Like

If you’re going to quibble over pre/post Zero Hour, you probably should have added Golden Age, Silver Age and Bronze Age for us old timers. :slight_smile: (My answer is Pre-Crisis).

1 Like

Pre-Crisis. Specifically, the Bronze Age. But I do like the stories from other eras, too, including today’s. But there’s just something special about the Bronze Age.

2 Likes

DC from about 1993-2000 is my favorite era in all of comics. Mark Waid’s Flash is my favorite run on any book ever, Batman had some of his best stories ever, and especially his supporting cast, like Tim, Cass, and Steph had some great stuff.

3 Likes

Post crisis is definitely first choice, but post-zero hour is a very close second.

1 Like

Post Crisis and Post Zero Hour as I grew up with and read them the most. I love all eras though including current stuff

Why are we allowing DC to make a supergirl movie (set in the 70s, wtf? ) when you can’t get Superman right

1 Like

Mostly Rebirth, I feel like it’s the best elements of the New 52 and Post-Crisis/-Zero Hour combined into an ideal version of the DC Universe.

1 Like

Rebirth is when I really started reading monthly.

2 Likes

@Batwing52 what elements from the New52 might you be referring to? Maybe characters that I don’t generally care about (Hawkman, the Atom, and so on) might be better with Rebirth, but there are some characters (that I do care about) that seem to maintain their post-Flashpoint reinventions, which I felt were horribly detrimental.

I’m really digging Rebirth but the new 52 has a special place for me. I had gotten rid of all my comics (didn’t have a lot so it’s not like it was a big deal) and a lot of my comic book related stuff when I joined the navy (recruiter said it would be best since I was going to end up on a boat). Once I got through my first duty station I heard about the new 52, and started pulling comics again. It was then that I found and really started to read great stories again. I started with just Batman and Justice League, then found out that Scott Snyder was writing Swamp Thing, then was told to pick up Animal Man. That lead to Aquaman, Flash and Green Lantern. And like most i just kept reading. So if it wasn’t for the New 52 jumping on point I probably wouldn’t have gotten back into comics. So thanks DC!

I have a special fondness for the Bronze Age, the 1970’s. It was the era when all the kids who grew up reading comics starting writing and drawing comics. My least favorite is definitely the early '90’s, the Extreme Era, all flash, no plot.

I was absolutely jazzed by the whole 52 roll out of 52 different Comics absolutely spent way too much money on that , but when I started all this back in 1964 65 I have fond memories of going door-to-door where I lived and trading and borrowing comics and a lot of the comics I would trade for were stuff like fat Adventure Legion of superhero or Superboy Giants things like that.

1 Like

My favorite is Pre-Crisis. There are so many characters that we lost. I had hoped that the new 52 would be open to exploration, but what I found was writers and artists that appeared to say”if MY version won’t be the definitive Earth One version then I don’t want to write it.” This is such a loss. We had 52 realities to explore.

1 Like

Definetly pre-crisis because it got so needlessly complicated afterwards.

1 Like

I enjoy all the eras although I am buying almost everything Rebirth now

1 Like