Wonder Woman: Black & Gold | Book Discussion (Spoilers Ahead!)

This is one thing I won’t order from Amazon because of the way they package books. I guarantee mine will come with crunched corners at the very least. Getting it in person from a book store of possible.

7 Likes

Took more than my sweet time getting to this series but wow it was worth waiting for. I absolutely loved the entire collection. Not a bad story in the bunch. I like the almost “Elseworlds” feel to this where the writers can really play with writing really good stories and not worry about “Is it canon?” Very excited to see less-beloved versions of Diana (absolutely delighted to see my Mod Diana with two stories! Along with a Golden and Silver age nod or two).

I like how everyone could write up to the side of Diana they like best. We had from her totally warrior side (almost Red Sonja Barbarian-ish) to her most empathetic, and I love all of them. To anyone who thinks that some of these sides aren’t the “Real” Diana, it really comes down to the fact that everyone is a bit messy in their personality and I think this kind of multi-dimensional approach makes her more real, at least to me. And if you have read every version of her, like any character who has been written for so many decades by so many writers, they are not very consistent anyway so you might as well enjoy the ride!

Anyway, I will be getting this in hardcover because it was so gorgeous and the stories were so powerful. Being able to write a short tale sans continuity means they can really pack an emotional punch, and they sure did.

If like @Angel212 you want to skip out on Amazon, might I forward @TravisMorgan’s suggestion:

I just got the second Perez omnibus from them. Cast your economic vote where you may!

Gorgeous:

Etta has a middle name?!?!?!?!?!?

I love how done Diana is with Circe right now. So much emotion for so few lines of art:

10 Likes

Pretty sure thats a nod to Morrisons Earth One series where he for reasons unknown, changed Ettas name to Beth

8 Likes

Well, it looks like I need to check that out. I was wondering where that came from out of nowhere.

6 Likes

I’m so glad you got a chance to catch up with it! It very quickly shot up in my rankings of favorite Wonder Woman stuff I’ve read. :star_struck:

Ooh, thanks for this link! Have you been happy with the packaging of the books you’ve received from them? That’s my main beef with Amazon…they toss a book in an overly large box with no packing material and it comes all bashed up. (Sometimes paperbacks come in a little bubble mailer - I ordered Superman Smashes the Klan from there and it came in one of those with the cover torn in half. :roll_eyes:)

6 Likes

My Wonder Woman omnibus came with foam packing around it so it was very well packed.

Torn cover = major ugghhhh moment.

5 Likes

Good to know! I will have to keep an eye on the site, then. It looks like they don’t do preorders…

5 Likes

I just started this. The only other I’ve read is Harley’s anthology, which I loved, but I can say now that I think they should do more of these (one for :00_black_canary: Black Canary would be nice). They’re really fun interpretations and it doesn’t matter if you know all the lore or not. You can still enjoy the character.

10 Likes

This is what I love about the anthologies too! I’m glad you’re enjoying it. And I’d love to read a Black Canary one. :star_struck:

8 Likes

@Angel212 @Ultrasonic
It’s like the pressure is off to remember every little detail and you can just enjoy the core of the characters. :purple_heart:

:full_moon_with_face: They should call it Black & Blue. I wouldn’t miss an issue. Please please please, DC!! :pray:

10 Likes

50% off through next week. All DC titles 45% off. Over $50 shipping is free.

Not sure when I became Mr. Advertisement, but here we are. :grinning:

6 Likes

This is an awesome deal! For whatever reason, even though I’ve had the book on my wishlist since you shared the site before, yesterday it kept saying “product not found” or something like that. Barnes & Noble was “temporarily out of stock online” also…so I panicked and ordered it from Target. They have always packaged their books with care, I got free shipping, and it arrived next day which was an awesome surprise.

This might be the most beautiful volume I own now. It’s stunning and arrived in perfect condition.

And yes, for those who were wondering (like me), all the variant covers are collected in the back. :blush:

8 Likes

:star_struck: :purple_heart:

It’s fantastic!

7 Likes

Understandable. It’s a must-have item, and FOMO is real!

5 Likes

:laughing: This place does kinda have a way of turning us all into enablers. :shopping: It’s okay, @SteveTrevor2.0. :purple_heart: My copy came last week too. I was just gonna go post it.

:eyes: I couldn’t wait either @Angel212.

11 Likes

OMG that is exactly what we are!!! :laughing:

Just helping each other to get our fix!

7 Likes

@SteveTrevor2.0 :rofl: Exactly. :purple_heart: I don’t mind tho.

8 Likes

I immediately thought of those Funko Pops I didn’t own a year ago when I read this. :eyes: :sweat_smile:

9 Likes

(Digging up another old thread :face_in_clouds:@Razzzcat Sorry I’m tattling again :rofl:)

Bought this series and Harley’s recently. This might not be saying much, because I haven’t read many comics, but I really, really enjoyed these. Read them at an alarming speed, probably because Wonder Woman is a perfect subject for it (Harley too), but also because an anthology series can be simple and self-contained. Each story is new, so the reader has to let go and move on to embrace the next. Enjoyed every story so much that I can’t even say I have a favorite. :heavy_heart_exclamation: Both the narrative and the artwork in every issue was fun and intriguing. I hope she gets another run, like Harley. :wonderwoman: I’m sayin’ 5 out of 5.

10 Likes

Well, I’ve read a lot of comics and I totally agree with you. This was a really good series. I liked it so much I had to buy the hardcover.

I will have to check out the Harley series. I tend to focus on WW comics so I am missing out on a lot of good stuff.

6 Likes