Wonder Woman: Black & Gold | Book Discussion (Spoilers Ahead!)

Nice. That was educational. Idk there was that many spellings? I just knew I kept seeing it without a C which I’d never seen b4?

5 Likes

Hi @bryanrickard777.41055! :wave: Welcome! Agree- that’s definitely a great variant. There’s SO many great ones on this run, actually, I feel spoiled, lol!

Hope you get a chance to check out Issue 1! Come back and let us know what ya thought, if you do! :purple_heart:

6 Likes

:00_wonder_woman_gold: :black_heart: Issue 6: Great end to the series. A little sad it’s already over. I like these anthologies (HQ: B+W+R, for instance). I sometimes wish they’d go on forever—but, alas, they cannot! These were the MVP’s from this book, for me.

The Prophet: Super atmospheric artwork and conversational dialogue… and just a great story about imagination, sanity, jealousy, powerlessness and hope. Then on the last page I see who is responsible for this bucket of awesome: :raised_hands: Liam Sharp! :full_moon_with_face: Hey, Liam Sharp.

Just gonna leave this right here for anyone who hasn’t read it:

Summary

The Brave and the Bold (2018) #1

Fresh Air In Philly: Another unapologetically fun read, that felt like it was over too quickly. Nubia is back, and little exchanges like these among the dynamic fight scenes worked really well. Loved it. (Also reminded me of another Nubia appearance in the series, that also put a smile on my face - A Common Motivator from Issue 2. The last panel especially. :laughing: Artemis #HippolytaKNOWS)

Anyway. Whoever you are reading this, I hope you check it out and enjoy the series as much as I did. :black_heart: :00_wonder_woman_gold::purple_heart:

And here’s this!

6 Likes

Liam Sharp talks about his real-life “prophecy” concerning Wonder Woman that inspired this story. I know he’s mentioned it in a few places, but the one I can think of off the top of my head was during the Comic Character Hall of Fame induction:

(I love Brave and the Bold. Speaking of things I wish had continued…)

I wish it could go on forever too…but I guess it wouldn’t be as special if it did. 🥲

Thank you, @Razzzcat, for putting this thread together and sharing my hype for this series! :black_heart: :00_wonder_woman_gold:

6 Likes

As of today, my favorite issue in this series has been added to DCUI:

Within a few months, the whole series will be added to the DCUI library! If you happen to be catching up with it and want to post your thoughts, please do so here! :black_heart: :00_wonder_woman_gold:

7 Likes

:point_up_2:Yes, please.:point_up_2:

Also, here’s this - starting next week! :raised_hands: :purple_heart:

7 Likes

Took me long enough, he mutters to himself, almost toxically.

One more book to go. I like that it is a collection of short stories.

6 Likes

It’s never too late to catch up! All the issues aren’t even up on DCUI yet! I’m glad you’re enjoying it. I really like the anthologies also. It’s a nice way to get lots of representations of who Diana is without needing to be following a big story arc.

7 Likes

I know. I wanted to get my grumbling out there.

8 Likes

adds WW: B&G to his DCUI reading list

Still finishing out the initial Infinite Frontier arc of WW, but afterward?

Its Black and Gold time! :boom: :wondersquadron1:

5 Likes

I had forgotten that this discussion started when this series was hard copy and before it hit the library. I liked coming across this panel. Something I need to remind myself of as well.

8 Likes

Definitely something we can all identify with, as well as periodically remind ourselves of, as well.

6 Likes

I love this panel. Everything about it - the dialogue, the artwork, that image of Diana addressing a young girl in a Wonder Woman costume. Just so, so good. :black_heart: :00_wonder_woman_gold:

8 Likes

Just saw we are getting fancy hardcover of this series in August. This is going to be a necessary addition to my shelf. :star_struck: :black_heart: :00_wonder_woman_gold:

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/wonder-woman-black-gold-mariko-tamaki/1141059852?ean=9781779516589

7 Likes

I will start watching this book on Amazon. They usually have lower prices than list price by date of release.

5 Likes

This is one thing I won’t order from Amazon because of the way they package books. I guarantee mine will come with crunched corners at the very least. Getting it in person from a book store of possible.

6 Likes

Took more than my sweet time getting to this series but wow it was worth waiting for. I absolutely loved the entire collection. Not a bad story in the bunch. I like the almost “Elseworlds” feel to this where the writers can really play with writing really good stories and not worry about “Is it canon?” Very excited to see less-beloved versions of Diana (absolutely delighted to see my Mod Diana with two stories! Along with a Golden and Silver age nod or two).

I like how everyone could write up to the side of Diana they like best. We had from her totally warrior side (almost Red Sonja Barbarian-ish) to her most empathetic, and I love all of them. To anyone who thinks that some of these sides aren’t the “Real” Diana, it really comes down to the fact that everyone is a bit messy in their personality and I think this kind of multi-dimensional approach makes her more real, at least to me. And if you have read every version of her, like any character who has been written for so many decades by so many writers, they are not very consistent anyway so you might as well enjoy the ride!

Anyway, I will be getting this in hardcover because it was so gorgeous and the stories were so powerful. Being able to write a short tale sans continuity means they can really pack an emotional punch, and they sure did.

If like @Angel212 you want to skip out on Amazon, might I forward @TravisMorgan’s suggestion:

I just got the second Perez omnibus from them. Cast your economic vote where you may!

Gorgeous:

Etta has a middle name?!?!?!?!?!?

I love how done Diana is with Circe right now. So much emotion for so few lines of art:

8 Likes

Pretty sure thats a nod to Morrisons Earth One series where he for reasons unknown, changed Ettas name to Beth

7 Likes

Well, it looks like I need to check that out. I was wondering where that came from out of nowhere.

5 Likes

I’m so glad you got a chance to catch up with it! It very quickly shot up in my rankings of favorite Wonder Woman stuff I’ve read. :star_struck:

Ooh, thanks for this link! Have you been happy with the packaging of the books you’ve received from them? That’s my main beef with Amazon…they toss a book in an overly large box with no packing material and it comes all bashed up. (Sometimes paperbacks come in a little bubble mailer - I ordered Superman Smashes the Klan from there and it came in one of those with the cover torn in half. :roll_eyes:)

5 Likes