Who’s Your Favorite Character You’d Consider to Be “Obscure”?

If you’re talking underrated atom, obscure would probably be Starro even though he’s not a hero.

2 Likes

Such a hard question since so many characters have gotten attention in the Justice League, JL Unlimited, JL Action and Batman: Brave and the Bold cartoons and all of the Arrowverse shows. I’ve always loved the Earth Two heroes, so I’m going to say Power Girl, since she is usually passed up for Supergirl, even though she’s got the more developed personality.

On second thought, to really pull from the obscure corner of the DCU , I’m going to go with Pantha. She had potential for a lot of stories, but basically got lost when the New Titans was cancelled.

3 Likes

The first character that comes to mind is Jack Knight. Starman I know he’s not the most obscure character to most comic fans, but he’s such complex and interesting characters. He easily deserves to be as popular as any members of the main justice league team, including Batman. If you haven’t read Starman(1994) I’d highly recommend it.

3 Likes

A lot of great, obscure characters have been named so far, but if I had to pick a favorite, it would be Harold Allnut. I don’t know what it is with that guy, but I just can’t get enough of him. The fact that I got used to seeing him around the cave in Knightfall made his death in Hush all the more impactful when I first read those stories back to back in their respective TPB’s.

4 Likes

Red Tornado for me most likely, though he has appeared in brave in the bold or young justice. Also maybe Constantine

2 Likes

The Brain, General Immortus, and Madame Rouge.

2 Likes

Mento.

3 Likes

But there’s all those commercials. The fresh maker!

3 Likes

To throw another on the list, I feel like Blackfire is pretty obscure and underused. If she got used more she’d be incredibly popular I feel!

5 Likes

Wow. Memory lane . . . Amazing how many obscure characters in the DC Universe. If not already previously mentioned my favorite obscure characters are
Kamandi (have all of his appearances collected since DC/Jack Kirby came up with their take on Planet of the Apes)
Giovanni Zatara (favorite story ‘about him’ Zatanna’s Search)
and Me
Space Marine Commander Marty Travis (from the pages of Mystery in Space)

6 Likes

I saw the McFarlane is launching an Azrael White Knight figure. Definitely on my pre-order list.

3 Likes

I always forget to mention Tiger Shark on these type of threads. Idk why but I love when he appears in a story. I think it’s great when other people talk for him in the 3rd person. Whatever that makes it? 3rd person omniscient? That’s the only category of 3rd person I I can think of & don’t wanna Google lol.

3 Likes

Great mr. fixit character. Responsible for plenty of those wonderful toys.

2 Likes

I love komand’r ,she’s actually got a decent amount out there if u look, but I take your point. She’s not a character most would consider popular, unless u know her.

2 Likes

Have u ever been into Helix? Or just the newer version of Mr. Bones? I love Helix.

2 Likes

@capo-mage,

I’m an Infinity, Inc. fan, so I definitely have a soft spot for Helix. Despite the team’s overall wackiness, the characters made for an interesting misfit family. Helix must have been popular with readers, because they appeared in several issues. In case you’re not aware, Roy Thomas had plans for a Helix series, which would have served as a replacement for the just-concluded Infinity, Inc. book. Thomas mentioned the Helix series in the letters column for Infinity Inc. #53 (the series’ final issue).

Obviously, the Helix series must have fallen into “development hell,” but I was looking forward to it.

6 Likes

I didn’t know that. Awesome to meet a fellow Helix/infinity inc 84’ fan. Or just infinity inc. I guess. Thanks for the info. Sorry for the delay. I was playing the Mafia game & my notices got buried. Just digging em out now. I love that Mr. Bones used to rhyme like Etrigan.

3 Likes

I would’ve really liked to have read a helix series, it could’ve been interesting to see the journeys of all the characters. Mr Bones’ arch was the one I was most interested in, obvi, but the others should’ve gotten some love too…

1 Like

I love a good redemption story, so Mr bones’ journey to leadership of the DEO was cool. In the post-new 52 continuity, he seems like the natural choice to replace the Wall as director of task force x, or take a leadership role in Checkmate, etc…

1 Like

Animal Man just popped up in the last issue of Justice League Dark, #20.

4 Likes