Who’s Your Favorite Character You’d Consider to Be “Obscure”?

Who is your favorite character that you consider to be “obscure”? Characters you think are cool and interesting but the average comic fan wouldn’t know.

For me I think it’s Amethyst, lately I’ve been looking into her character and really digging it!

41 Likes

I really loved the recent Freedom Fighters series. Written by Robert Venditti and penciled by Eddy Barrows. It was one of the coolest looking books of 2019 in my opinion.

21 Likes

Before Arrow, I would have said Wild Dog, nowadays I’m not sure. Do we mean obscure even to comic folk, or to the public at large? To the public, I would think Blue Beetle Ted Kord would fit the bill.

23 Likes

I’d definitely have to go with the Jack Knight version of Starman. Jack is one of my favorite characters, but it’s rare to find the average person who would know who he is.

29 Likes

Me. The Warlord. :grinning: Not a character that is well known unless you were reading comics in the 1970s. Totally obscure to the general public.

26 Likes

Manhunter Paul Kirk. No as well known as other Manhunter versions but he has always been one of my favorites.

16 Likes

Black Orchid, No one uses her, but she is a very interesting character

24 Likes

Great choice!!

8 Likes

Paul Kirk is the Manhunter I know best! I guess I’m just showing my age.

13 Likes

I’d go with Maya
She was a part of JLI and I’ve been waiting for her return to comics (hopefully matured and in control of her powers)

8 Likes

Tala
Nightshade
Scream Queen
Tao Jones
Penny Dreadful
Thorn
Emerald Empress & the Emerald Eye of Ekron (did get in JL vs Fatal 5 tho)…

15 Likes

I’m a huge Freedom Fighters fan. The new stuff is great. I love all of it. Just did all on here. Plus infinity inc. to read Origins of Miss America etc. Phantom Lady is my girl.

15 Likes

I love Amethyst. A lot of people hate Convergence. I love it & she’s great in it. Also, Flashpoint stuff with her is great, Secret Seven.

11 Likes

Hm, I’ve got quite a few, but off the top of my head I’d say Anita Fite (Empress), Greta Hayes (Secret) , Charlie Gage Radcliffe (Misfit), Lilith Clay (Omen), Traya Sutton, Derek James (Sideways) and Ernie Edgars.
Edit: oh, and Amy Winston (Amethyst), although I don’t know know if she can really count her as obscure, what with her new miniseries coming out

Edit Mark 2: Also Garth (Tempest) but I’m not sure if he counts…feels like he’s the kind of character a lot of people know about but not many people actually care about

7 Likes

IK she’s in a tv show right now and everything but, Thunder. I don’t know anyone outside of people who know comics that are familiar with Black Lightning and family. I’m not gonna get into the show, but I got interested in her when I saw her design from the Outsiders comic. When I started learning about her and the family she was the most interesting to me.

13 Likes

Hourman ( Matthew Tyler )

13 Likes

Congo bill! I’ve always loved him, he’s one of the first comics i read as a kid.

11 Likes

Hey Lexcorp! Did you get a chance to read that Damage series? They had a pretty interesting riff on Congo Bill in that comic.

Basically, they established him as the warden of Monster Island, an expert at not only hunting and tracking, but specifically of weird monster types (cryptozoids?). He came off pretty amazing in that series. Be forewarned, though: his Congorilla form isn’t just a golden gorilla, as usual, but a GIANT golden gorilla, ala King Kong or Titano.

9 Likes

Warlord, Kamandi, and the Creeper all come to mind.

Becca from the New Gods. She’s known some now from JL: Gods & Monsters (but she was an obscure pull)

My favorite is the original Top from the Silver Age.

12 Likes

Comic fans (particularly us fans of Justice League International) know the warm hearted Norwegian Frost Princess in the ski-bunny suit. But Outside of comics and a few sporadic cartoon appearances Ice has really fallen through the cracks in popular culture.

25 Likes