Who’s Your Favorite Character You’d Consider to Be “Obscure”?

Matter-Eater Lad.!
ZZLSH-Matter-Eater-Lad|375x499

2 Likes

Ding ding ding ding! Correct!

2 Likes

Lol

1 Like

Checkmate

3 Likes

Zeta

2 Likes

If we’re talking obscure to the general public, then I’d go with the Spectre (though he might be a little less obscure now thanks to the Crisis crossover).

If we’re talking obscure to even the average comic fan, I’d say Zauriel. I absolutely loved Grant Morrison’s JLA run, and having a literal angel on the team was definitely a highlight of it.

I’ve also just noticed that both of my answers are heavenly beings so I guess I’m into the whole theology of the DC Universe.

3 Likes

I love The Spectre, especially the Fleisher / Aparo stuff.

3 Likes

Phantom Lady

2 Likes

My favorite more obscure male character is probably Magog from Kingdom Come by Mark Waid/Alex Ross. The Justice Society of America take on him by Geoff Johns/Dale Eaglesham makes the character even cooler! And my favorite female obscure character is probably Bulleteer from Seven Soldiers of Victory!! She’s REALLY cool!

Long Live the Legion!! :grin:

Stanley and his Monster

1 Like

I love Azrael! Wish he had a nice statue or nice figure out there!

1 Like

Raven works in my mind. If I ask someone about Raven they’re going to think of the Teen Titans cartoon and not necessarily the comic version. Seems good to me!

1 Like

One obscure character I find super fascinating is dr Karl Helfern from Batman zero year. Like a scientist trying to prevent injury by instant bone growth is super cool. And then the way he is just turned into a monster by Batman is just awesome. I also think kg beast is a little obscure and deserves more attention.

3 Likes

“The greatest hero you’ve never heard of” Booster Gold or maybe Ambush Bug

3 Likes

How about the Green Team
Speed Saunders

My favorite obscure character is Enigma, The Riddler’s daughter. I distinctly remember the first time that I saw her in Tiny Titans. There was just something about the little girl wearing a tutu and holding a question mark shaped cane that stuck out to me as a kid. Needless to say, she got me into The Riddler as a villain, who then got me obsessed with many of Batman’s other rogues. I keep hoping that one day they’ll bring her back (and treat her better than she was in Teen Titans and Batman).

Other minor characters that I love include Query and Echo (The Riddler’s former henchwomen), Alice Pleasance (The Mad Hatter’s crush from BTAS), Screamthief (a character from the Justice League cartoon tie-in comics who feeds off people’s fears to gain powers and a friend of Martian Manhunter), Becky Albright (a law student who proved to Scarecrow that one can survive emotional abuse without becoming a super villain), the Music Meister (mostly because he’s voiced by Neal Patrick Harris), Dr. Joan Leland (a psychiatrist from BTAS), and Mad Mod (especially the Teen Titans cartoon version).

(Does Jericho count as obscure? Because I’d definitely include him.)

I could probably list a whole lot more if I gave it some extra thought. My love for obscure characters is matched only by my burning desire for writers to remember that they exist.

2 Likes

Thank you for that suggestion. Just finished the series and it was a great read!

2 Likes

Gnort.
Mister E.

5 Likes

So many great choices! I think, since I haven’t seen them listed yet, I’m gonna go with air wave, gangbuster, crimson avenger and Mr bones. There’s also a whole group of mutated humans who had 2 thumbs on ea hand and controlled a magical force they called prana, that superman helped go to a secret land to be free from persecution that I’d love to see something done with(I know that’s not a character, but even so…)in some format, be it in print, on a series, etc…

2 Likes