What DC Comics Digitized This Week

There was a sale on DREADSTAR stuff from COMIXOLOGY. Starlin really did some beautiful back then

3 Likes

Thanks, Mammomax, for the tireless efforts here, to document whatā€™s happening in the digitizing efforts. I canā€™t BELIEVE how long it took them to finish JLA: Incarnations!

So many decisions are so baffling. I wish I could figure out some kind of pattern or some kind of strategy in all this progress. It would be a lot easier to take getting three issues of Stalker, but we still canā€™t read a continuous post-Crisis Superman, we have hardly any Golden Age books. I would LOVE to hear from the team responsible how these choices are made!

7 Likes

I assume the golden age books are probably the hardest (aka most expensive) to digitize. I am thankful whenever we get a new golden age book

3 Likes

You are in luck!!! There is a Q&A with the archivist tomorrow! (1/27)

3 Likes

Yeah, I understand that. But there are many volumes of Golden Age Archives out there and several other Golden Age reprints.

What happened to the files they used to publish the two volumes worth of Golden Age Green Lantern Archives, for example? Or even the Green Lantern stories that ran in the more recent ā€œ75 Yearsā€ and ā€œ80 Yearsā€ celebration hardcovers?

And the Golden Age Wonder Woman issues are even sadder. The Golden Age Omnibuses reprint at least up through Wonder Woman #34, but the series here at DCU offers only through #15. Iā€™d have hoped to at least get readers here current to the still very recent collections.

Iā€™m going to take comfort at least that there are other fans here who are as interested in all this stuff as I am. Iā€™m so glad to be here, and Iā€™m so glad you are too!

3 Likes

Wow! Great timing on my part to come back to these forums! I would never have known otherwise. Thanks for the tip!

4 Likes

Similarly, I wonder about the contents of the canceled ā€œDetective Comics Before Batmanā€ omnibus. Clearly at least some work had been put into restoring the material since DC solicited a slipcase hardcover set! Itā€™s too bad the archivistsā€™ work seems unlikely ever to see the light of day at this point.

4 Likes

Batman (1940-2011) #202
Catwoman (1993-2001) #24
Hardware (1993-1997) #2
Icon (1993-1997) #2
Static (1993-1997) #2
Super Friends (1976-1981) #36

4 Likes

Iā€™m not seeing Catwoman.

3 Likes
5 Likes

Looks like another book that had the same thing happen as Super Friends #2.

4 Likes

I remember in the press releases seeing them say ā€œ5 books a weekā€ would be added as archival books. Hope they are not now holding back stuff that is being digitized from DCUI, that would suck.

3 Likes

Did they really say ā€˜5 books a weekā€™?
If you could find the source, Iā€™d appreciate it.

4 Likes

I found itā€¦

DCUI Press Release

Starting Thursday subscribers will also have earlier access to new digital first comics including those from DCā€™s digital archive with five new backlist titles released a week.

So it looks like the archives have been cut back to only five a week.

What worries me is that any overflow, like Catwoman, for example, may get left behind.
Which will leave more holes.

3 Likes

Donā€™t forget that these amazing peeps are all probably working from home so may not be ideal right now. We should be back to more issues restored once the world is restored.

2 Likes

Butā€¦ if theyā€™re digitizing six comics like they did this week, why are they limiting the additions to DCUI to just five of them?

If the digitizing is done, why not add it, too?

4 Likes

yea I donā€™t think ā€œcovid limitationsā€ explains the lack of new vintage archivesā€¦ as covered ad nauseam in previous posts, thereā€™s plenty of already digitized TPBs that technically could be added to this service with a few swipes of a mouseā€¦

4 Likes

What worries me is if it becomes the standard going forward that DCUI only gets five select books from each weekā€™s digitized archive books that are sent to Comixology.

This week we missed out on Catwoman #24.
Next week it could be another. Or if they did start digitizing eight to ten books again, and we only got five of them, should we take it that those books being held back may never be put on DCUI?

Will the '93 Catwoman series forever be missing #24?
Much like how Super Friends is missing #2?

3 Likes

They definitely need to clarify on that. I mean I get they might have had to negotiate a new deal, but while we are not entitled to have an identical list as comixology, if it will just randomly have issues missing in otherwise complete runs, that is going to lead to problems.

EDITED: I meant to say ā€œwhile we are not entitledā€. Donā€™t want to sound like I am crying we are entitled to the same stuff. That is the exact opposite of what I meant. LOL. Just meant while we are not entitled leaving us out of the last issue to complete a run doesnā€™t seem like the best compromiseā€¦ if that is what is happening.

4 Likes

Its an Arion the immortal #6 situarion. Give it a few weeks.

2 Likes