What Are You Currently Reading?

Been reading more DeMatteis/Giffen/Hughes JLA. The Despero fight might be my fav part of the whole run.

8 Likes

Dark Crisis. I’m still waiting on Issue 7

7 Likes

Milestone in History
Great book. The start felt like those after school education specials which was fun. But the stories themselves were great. A lot of cool history I didn’t even know about.

Superman’s Pal Jimmy Olsen’s Boss Perry White
Really fun. Some classic comic nonsense and a sweet end story that was my favorite with another look a the id reveal to Perry. Fun stuff.

6 Likes

Continuing titles:

Batgirls
Titans United
Gotham City: Year One
World’s Finest (2022)

Diving back into:

The New Teen Titans (Bro Blood’s first appearance)
Doom Patrol- finishing Morrison run and just into Pollack’s

9 Likes

worlds finest
batman
batman vs robin
dark knights of steel
joker the man who stopped laughing

4 Likes

I’m reading the hardcover collection of the Batman Catwoman series from last year. The way it hops between different times and places always takes a while to get used to, so I’m enjoying this read through more than I enjoyed reading the issues as they came out. I really like Tom King’s take on those characters’ relationship.

4 Likes

Does The Batmobile Manual count? LOL Got it for Christmas.

8 Likes

Deathblow (2006-2008). Somehow, I missed that Brian Azzarello had written a Deathblow series during the Worldstorm relaunch. It’s not particularly great, but at 9 issues, I will likely finish it off.

6 Likes

Careful there’s an interesting backup story that runs through all the Worldstorm books that is hard to read in order.

5 Likes

I have just begun to dip my (webbed) toe into the Carl Barks Duck comics. I decided to take a look at them based on the recommendation of the Uncanny Omar from Near Mint Condition (those links go to two of his videos on Barks’ work). They are absolutely as good as advertised. I wish that I had found them as a child, as I know I would have loved them then, but I’ll just have to settle for starting to read them as an adult. They are good for all ages. Also, I have been reading nothing but superhero comics for the last three-and-a-half years, so they make for an excellent change of pace. I definitely needed the palate cleanser.

You don’t need me to sit here and tell you how much of a genius Barks was (everybody in Europe already knows, for one thing). He was one of the inaugural inductees into the Will Eisner Award Hall of Fame alongside Jack Kirby and Eisner himself, so that alone should tell you all you need to know. However, if you haven’t read his work for yourself, and if you’re interested in finding out more, I highly recommend reading this article, which combines a succinct biography with an explanation of exactly what makes his work so great:

If you have the opportunity, I also recommend reading a Barks story back-to-back with a Duck story that was created by one of the other Disney artists that was working at the same time. Doing that really throws into stark relief just how much better Barks’ stories were. The work of the other artists isn’t bad per se, but it shows why he came to be known as the “Good Duck Artist”.

I’m also interested in checking out the Don Rosa stuff, The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck in particular, which won an Eisner award itself.

(For some reason, I only ever seem to use this thread when I’m reading non-DC comics. I’m not exactly sure why that is…)

9 Likes

Insecurity over revealing that you haven’t read a book yet by way of admitting that you’re only reading it now, thereby puncturing your all-knowing veneer? Couldn’t relate

8 Likes

If I were to list all of the DC titles I haven’t read yet, y’all’d run me out of town on a rail…

7 Likes

I’m reading Milestones in History myself and am also really impressed. I love how much I’m learning and was surprised by the fact that I never knew Alexander Dumas was black. Really cool book.

Speaking of really cool, just read the first New Champion of Shazam and had a blast. Wish it was going to run longer than 4 issues and regret that the release is delayed (I suspect due to the art being so painstakingly gorgeous), but am going to enjoy what is released. Also definitely going to keep my eye on Josie Campbell and hope DC has her write more for them in the future.

4 Likes

I am currently reading through Batgirls, Tim Taylor’s Nightwing run, still working through the Rebirth Superman comics, and whatever other random comics catch my eye.

7 Likes

Just getting into Dark Crisis: Dark Army beginning with issue 1 :00_robin: :zap: :diamond_shape_with_a_dot_inside: :smiley: !

8 Likes

Batgirls is soooo good! I am not a huge fan of the art style, but that is a me problem. The story on the other hand is excellent! In fact, I will be reading the first five or 6 issues for the 3rd time in the very near future as I picked up the tpb.

I have been reading Wonder Woman… a lot of Wonder Woman.

10 Likes

I finished recently “Prelude to Knightfall” and now reading “Knightfall: Volume 1”. It is a story I always wanted to read and I finally am due to the GN collection side of things on DCUI. After I get through all 9 volumes of what is comsidered part of this epic, I am not sure where I will go.

6 Likes

So glad you’re enjoying the book! Do you like the two new artists, Neil Googe and Jonathan Case?

6 Likes

I am enjoying their art a bit more. I have to catch up on Batgirls. I am usually a month or 3 behind and I buy the single issues when they come out. Last month, the only single comic I read was Harley: Uncovered. Outside of that I have been reading books off of my shelves that I needed to catch up on.

6 Likes

Well, feel free to chime in our Batgirls thread when you feel like it! I loved the original artist Jorge Corona, but I also love Googe and Case too!

7 Likes