What Are You Currently Reading?

Kinda all over the place right now. Started curse of the white knight before I went back and started white knight. As usual a lot of old Wildstorm, DMZ, and punishing myself with new 52 Stormwatch.

6 Likes

Today is an extremely exciting new comics day for me! Black Adam starts, Fables continues, The Flash is awesome, and Perry White gets a new short story and one shot remix!

8 Likes

Read some of Kesel’s Batman and Superman - World’s Finest.
Kesel is a really good writer and makes some astute observations about the contrast between the two characters.

7 Likes

I finished Welcome to Tranquility last week. Gail Simone is very talented writing and the art of Paul Pelletier is great when you can get it. This book is funny and slightly ridiculous, but with a lot of action and character development.

9 Likes

I’ve been reading Delano’s run on Hellblazer and just started the Blue Beetle (Jaime Reyes) 2006 run. So far both have been great; Jaime and Constantine are definetly becoming two of my favorite characters!

6 Likes

Delano’s Hellblazer is good. One of the few (and possibly only) mainstream comics from the 80s that tackled Thatcherism while most other comics of the era dealt mainly with politics in relation to the Cold War.

5 Likes

So far new 52 Stormwatch isn’t bad as I expected it to be, but Midnighter’s costume is never going to win me over. I hated it in Grifter and I hate it here.

5 Likes

While Tom Mandrake does great work in the Firestorm series, Richard Rayner draws my fav version of the fire elemental redesign,

6 Likes

All of my unread notifications, going back to April. Oops.

5 Likes

Bailed on Stormwatch, couldn’t look at Midnighter anymore, plus he did Jenny wrong. Too much fighting in that book

Batman/Superman and The Authority was good as long as Midnighter kept poking Batman, then I noticed they were the only 2 people talking and clean cut Manchester Black just don’t look right.

4 Likes

Read Grant/Breyfogle’s Mud Pack arc in Detective Comics.
The way Alan Grant writes the character Looker reminds me a bit of his work on Judge Anderson.

6 Likes

I read The Immortal Hulk Vol. 10 which was the finale, but there are 2 more tie in’s to get through. And I’m currently reading Blade: Blood and Chaos

On the DC Front my most recent reads are all New 52, swamp thing, action comics, Batgirl, the Flash, Vibe and Batman up to issue 2 of each

6 Likes

I was able to track down scans of the 1989 Batman Newspaper strip by Max Allan Collins and Marshall Rogers. It takes some elements of the Batman '89 movie and builds on them but also ignores others. Vicki doesn’t know Batman is Bruce Wayne, the Joker fell into water (ala Strange Apparitions) and of course, Batman is wearing his comic book attire rather than the black suit of the Burton-verse. It was good. I especially liked getting to see Marshall Rogers draw Catwoman (even if her costume has some weird choices). Would love to see it get a real reprint.

Still working on finding the rest of the strip, but glad I was able to read the Marshall Rogers stuff, as he is one of, if not my favorite, Batman artists.

9 Likes

On DCUI, I’ve recently picked up where I left off on The Flash ('87-'09). I’m not obsessed with the Messner-Loebs era, but I want to read everything with Wally as the Flash.

The ongoing DC series I’m reading are Rogues, which is phenomenal, and The Flash, which I’m behind on, but enjoying.

Most recently, though it isn’t DC, I’ve been binging Hawkeye by Matt Fraction and David Aja. Hot take: it’s really good.

6 Likes

RWBY/JL

Fun crossover and great art. Really Ike how they adapted the characters and there powers to fit the universe and there designs were pretty cool. Felt a little fast but overall a nice story that had the shows spirt and energy. (Maybe a bit crazy with the flirting though​:sweat_smile:). Exited for the movie next year.

7 Likes

Read a bit of one of my fav comics ever: 5 Years Later Legion of Super-Heroes
I love how bold and experimental is. There are not any comics quite like it.

9 Likes

Harley Quinn: The Eat Bang Kill Tour

10 Likes

I did some research and learned The New 52 come in waves, I’m starting on wave one, and trying to read every title here on DCUI. I’m up to at least issue 2 on about 20 titles so far. Only :thinking:a lot to go​:joy:

6 Likes

I have to admit, I’m intrigued by Zdarsky’s premise of a Batman who’s starting to slip. I think I’m going to go pick up Batman #125 when I go get the latest issue of Rogues this weekend.

7 Likes

Batgirls
Batman: The Knight
Catwoman: Lonely City
Poison Ivy (2022)
World’s Finest (2022)
Titans United

7 Likes