What Are You Currently Reading?

Birds of Prey: Murder and Mystery

4 Likes

Anything Red Hood

5 Likes

Just reread Identity Crisis for the first time since it was originally published, and my opinion of it really hasn’t changed. On one hand it’s a fascinating look at the personal lives of the DC heroes that feels very intimate and real. It doesn’t just focus on the big names and shows a real love for the DCU on Meltzer’s part. And it sets up so many things that will play out over the next several years of DC stories. But the inciting incident for the whole thing is needlessly brutal, and the reveal on the killer and their motivation is just plain bad. Very well written, beautifully drawn, but it falls apart in the end.

That led me to Brad Meltzer’s other significant contribute to DC Comics, the Green Arrow arc “The Archer’s Quest.” This came right after Kevin Smith’s relaunch of the series with a resurrected Oliver Queen (Connor Hawke had been Green Arrow for a few years prior) and before Judd Winick’s long tenure on the series. I remembered it being a great story, and it really holds up all these years later. Highly recommended.

5 Likes

I love identity crisis, but I’am biased towards Zatanna, & it’s one of her most prominent roles. Without it, the tension between Batman & Z wouldn’t make sense in issues to follow. I like Meltzers conspiracy books better than his DC work tho. I miss his tv show on History channel about conspiracy theories.

4 Likes

Welcome to the community! Nice choice too. :+1:

4 Likes

I’m still reading Kirby’s Jimmy Olsen. I’ve only gotten about 3 issues in- does Jack Kirby grow on you? His art is incredible but the writing is a bit bombastic for my tastes (and I say that as a guy that loves old time radio and Dick Tracy strips).

3 Likes

I am currently working my way through Red Hood and the Outlaws.

4 Likes

How do you feel it falls apart? In a world full of super powers and super insanity, it seems like love is just as big a motivator as any.

3 Likes

I’ve just started reading/rereading all of the New 52 books. I’ve created lists by the week of a month every book was released.

I can’t for the life of me understand why I didn’t read All Star Western when it was originally published. Jonah Hex in Gotham? Yes, please.

3 Likes

I don’t know how to hide spoiler text, so I’ll just say the identity of the killer and their motivation didn’t strike me as believable then and didn’t work any better for me now. After six great issues, the conclusion falls flat for me.

3 Likes

Two ‘*’ on both sides for spoiler blur and I’m try to read Backlash, Static, and Aquaman at a reasonable pace.

4 Likes

Bingeing several titles that started after Crisis on Infinite Earths and currently on those that came out in 1996, particularly Action, Superman, Batman, Detective, Flash, and Wonder Woman.
It’s a long process, but trying to read the major stories and titles to bring me up to today.
Any favorites?

3 Likes

I just finished the Stephanie Brown Batgirl run. It was so good, I wish it didn’t have to end!

Also on the last chapter of Wonder Woman/Conan… I’ll probably pick up Green Arrow where I was reading it next.

5 Likes

I have been reading all of the new issues on here and on Marvel each week. I am reading Deadpool from the beginning on Marvel since I hadn’t read the first 8 issues.

3 Likes

Just finished Doomsday clock again!! It’s so good! I was wondering if any of you think Dr. Manhattan’s visions will come true because the “Secret Crisis” sounds amazing! Ive missed talking with the community since the Infinite took over, but with all the redirecting it does to get here i usually give up before it loads! Hahahha! Anybody direct me to something new to read?! Rock n Roll!!
STATION!!!

3 Likes

Is the Marvel service worth getting?! I’ve been batting around the idea of getting it! I feel dirty just asking about it on here!! Hahahha

3 Likes

I love Stephanie! So glad to see her back! It’s a toss up tween her and Cass! I admit to relating to steph a bit more though! I mean, who wouldn’t wanna knock their ol man down a peg!:wink::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

6 Likes

I like it. If you pay for the whole year at once it is cheaper.

2 Likes

Recently, I have been binging Action Comics (1938-2011), I really enjoy reading classic golden and silver age Superman stories, and this website has a lot to offer in those categories.

3 Likes

Also, I have recently purchased The Deadman Omnibus, T.H.U.N.D.E.R. Agents Archives vol.4, DC Archive Editions: Superman vol.3, DC Archive Editions: Superman the Action Comics Archives vol.5, and DC Archive Editions: The Hawkman vol.2, so I have a lot of stuff that I am looking forward to reading.

3 Likes