Titans- why is Dick the only bad guy in the room?- SPOILERS!

No I was thinking about it… if that’s not it… then I think he did it because he felt like he deserved to be in jail. And punching cops is the quickest way to jail. Either that or it’s the spirit of Jericho messing with ppl???

4 Likes

Yeah this was my least favorite of Season 2 and at least Grayson is owning up to his sins of the other OG Titans keep running.
Rest of my thoughts in review: https://youtu.be/Eoz0tXtzAlc

1 Like

The other Titans, especially Dawn, had asked Dick to back off and leave Jericho alone, abandon the plan of having Jericho lead them to Deathstroke. He refused and that ultimately led to Jericho’s death. I think that’s where all the hurt is coming from. Parts of rest of the episode show those other characters starting to realize they’re no better than Dick.

I wish they would show us/remind them something good accomplished by the first Titans team. Right now, I have no real reason to disbelieve Hank that they just bring the suck with them wherever they go.

1 Like

I remain incredibly concerned about Connor.

Dick can take care of himself, even in jail, and abandoned.

Connor needs a family, for real!

The Karaoke scene has its roots in the Karaoke scene from Doom Patrol S1. However, in this case, you look at the song/lyrics and you realize that it’s an affectation. It what/who Hank & Dawn want to think they are, but, they truly aren’t.

Grayson really isn’t going to be hurt physically. Sure you can break his bones, but, it is his guilt, his emotional pain that is really the way to hurt Grayson. Deathstroke understands this.

Also, the OG team is showing they are as wrong as Deathstroke. They are blaming Grayson for his lies and breach of trust, but the are transferring all their guilt about their own involvement onto Grayson. Donna and Dawn in particular. Donna was the first to come on board with continuing to use Jericho & Dawn was the one who told Grayson “be Batman”, even though she didn’t really understand what that means. Rachel has had issues with Grayson lying to her carrying over from S1. Although , Rachel calling OT Donna in the car and then abandoning Donna seemed appropriate. (With the Easter egg, that Raven has more control over her powers than she wants to admit. Which in itself is her form of guilt.)

3 Likes

Good analysis. I agree with most of what you said here.

The karaoke scene killed my suspension of disbelief for a second, but it tells us a bit where the sister is coming from. Here are two “heroes” she blames for her loved one’s death having a good ol’ time out on the town while she’s still in so much pain.

2 Likes

I just thought the karaoke scene was showing them trying to live a normal life. It didn’t work out too well for them obviously.

1 Like

Dude right!?!

I cannot understand Donna’s logic at all this season. She’s shifted into this angry merciless warrior. Which suits her but also feels off compared to how she was acting in Season 1 in her first appearance.
I can however relate to Jason.
He’s the only one who should rationally be pissed at Dick since he was the ONLY one who suffered from Dicks lies.
Like Dawn Hank Donna were all totally okay with manipulating a teenage boy for their personal revenge. But Dick going their to try to help makes him the bad guy? So wrong imo.

Still a fan of the show. Still waiting to see any semblance of actual Superheroing.

3 Likes

Is season 2 like a hard reboot? Because alot of things that happen just don’t make sense. It was already established that Hank doesn’t trust dick. But yet he shocked at what he does everytime. Also what’s up with hating on dick. They’ve hated him since they came in the tower.

1 Like

Yes! That’s what they discussed on DC Daily as well. How Slade blames everyone but himself

1 Like

Well, everyone else is blaming Dick for their actions. Why not Slade, too?

1 Like

I don’t really watch DC Daily, but yeah.

IMO, because they are all scared witless of Slade. None of them have ever gotten past the fact that Slade keeps beating them. At least Grayson is confronting his demons. The rest of them either need to get over it or get some therapy.

2 Likes

I think it’s about responsibility. Everyone already knows that Slade did what he did. The heroes have a responsibility to protect and save. Seems like the Titans tread an area of gray by going after Jericho. It is implied that that was Dick’s decision. I am a huge Dick Grayson fan and I feel everyone is acting holier than thou as well but I feel that is the point. They were all culpable, Dick maybe a little more because he went to the church and got involved. It’s just the responsibility heroes have to take for any collateral damage. That’s the thing Ellis’ sister was introduced for I imagine. Dawn and Hank seemed content blaming Dick, leaving and singing at karaoke and stuff but they were forced to come to grips that they also have some sort of accountability for some events which Hank took responsibility for, but Dawn hasn’t. That’s the realisation they are having in my opinion. And they are all hitting rock bottom.

3 Likes

I really hope this ends the Hank/Dawn relationship. Dawn especially seems so codependent.

2 Likes

Codependent and very sanctimonious. I really liked how Superboy is essentially a child and doesn’t know how to tell right from wrong. Plus, how Gar has an “Operation save the Titans”. He seems to be the heart of the team. I like how Titans isn’t formulaic that it has just one bad guy and just one main villain at the time and it isn’t “convenient” for the good guys. Everything will have to be earned and I am a patient person. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Right? At first it was made to seem like Hank couldn’t survive without Dawn(he probably still can’t), but now it’s looking like Dawn’s the one with a problem. Hank wanted to retire from hero life, but Dawn carried on with it behind his back. Right now, it looks like she simply feels the need to be the most sanctimonious person in the room and is just now having to face the realization that she’s just as damaged and morally fallible as everyone else.

3 Likes

If not more than the others. I really like the actress who is playing her, but her character needs to really get the psychological “shotgun to the face” about her culpability and responsibilities in all of this mess.

1 Like

i agree, i expected them to come to an understanding instead they all just sort of bolted out. The reaction is especially weird coming from donna since she at first seemed angry that they where gonna stop using jericho to get to slade. Guess that is one of the things i dislike about this series, somewhat inconsistent in certain aspects. Still remember in season one when dick defended kory by saying she was not a killer despite the fact that… well you know haha.

2 Likes

i totally agree and was saying the same thing as i watched. Like seriously they had choices too, yet it always Dick’s fault. Maybe if Donna didnt run off, Gareth wouldnt have followed her and wouldn’t have gotten shot. So whos fault is it really?