The Superman Thread

Another McGuinness panel…fire!! From Maxima with Love…

5 Likes

I remember this exchange…it always leaves me like…wtf!!! Lois comes by just to tell Lex that she has memories of him having sex with not her/her…(courtesy of the Parasite)…I mean, why…? Seems like a pretty dangerous way to embarrass him, nor can she actually prove anything. And it almost comes across as a “wink, wink”. I’m pretty sure she doesn’t tell Clark…Still, a fun scene…

4 Likes

I am reading The Tick Omnibus Vol. 1: Sunday Through Wednesday and it looks like a certain mild-mannered reporter is in The Tick universe!

5 Likes

Not sure how I felt about this arc…it had some funny moments, but overall I wasn’t enthused. Which is a shame, because I heard some people really like it. Of course, I am not a big Joker fan, so that might have colored my perspective…thoughts?

4 Likes

IDK how many of you get the MeTV channel (its over the air and can also be watched online, I believe), but this past Monday, they had a Superman-related episode on their Toon In with Me series.

I recorded the episode, and so far I’ve seen Stupor Duck, which is easily one of the best Superman spoofs from Looney Tunes (I kinda like the Bugs one more, however).

IDK what else is in the episode yet, as I’ve only seen Stupor Duck so far, but they promoted The Arctic Giant from the Fleischer shorts as being in the mix, along with Superman-related Popeye and Pink Panther shorts.

New to retail Superman content this week:

B cover by Ian Churchill

Pride Month/C cover by Derek Charm

4 Likes

Overrated. It’s certainly not bad and has its moments. It’s. mostly, unremarkable, though. If I’m being honest, the only reason it makes so many Superman “must read” lists is because Batman and The Joker are very popular and Emperor Joker allowed the Superman books to tell a Batman/Joker story.

4 Likes

That’s an interesting take…I think you’re right!

3 Likes

Agree to disagree.

I think it makes a lot of lists because it shows Joker in a way that we hadn’t seen before, wherein he was able to hold his own against Superman, someone he’s tried to stand against but had always failed to, previously.

I will admit a bit of bias though, because Emperor Joker features issues of Superman from Loeb and McGuinness’s run, which is one of my favorites from my all-time favorite volume of Superman.

It also features issues of The Adventures of Superman, which is one of my all-time favorite ongoings, Superman or otherwise.

What can I say? Its a Triangle Era (my fav era of modern Superman) story featuring two of my favorite ongoing series. I’m easy to please, in that regard.

3 Likes

Read the new Action Comics last night. It’s been a very cinematic experience so far, and this latest issue is no different. Favorite moments:

- Clark sharing the Krypyonian puzzle with the Warzoon kids.

- The battle for Enchantress.

- Mongul ripping apart Mother

- Nat making contact with Earth. Didn’t see that coming.

There’s great re-read value in this. So many moving parts that connect together.

I love the main cover, and it got my hopes up that Supes was somehow gonna get his old blue suit back (or a variant of it), but that doesn’t happen in the issue.

3 Likes

Ooh, looking forward to that.

Action #1044 is the only new book I’m picking up this week, so I’m going to make my read of it nice and sloooow.

2 Likes

I am loving Action Comics…I can’t wait for this to come out in trade so I can read them all together at once…I keep forgetting all the little things after waiting a month…and the art is incredible.

4 Likes

Hey, like I said, I don’t think it’s a bad story. You put Loeb and McGuinness on anything and it’s probably not going to be bad. Probably. I even remember reading some of this stuff when it came out and it was fun.

But, to me, a “must read” has to be a story that is about something. It’s the kind of story that has a bit more going on beneath the surface. Like, take the Death of Superman. It’s a story of Superman getting killed, yeah. However, it’s also a statement about Superman as a symbol in the midst of a changing culture.

What I would ask (and, yes, I am asking since I don’t remember it perfectly) is what is Emperor Joker really about? Outside of just being a story where the Joker can take on Superman, what is it about? I never came away with the impression that there was enough there to make it an instant classic.

4 Likes

There’s another moment involving Lightray… a big one that I also didn’t see coming. Good read :slightly_smiling_face:.

3 Likes

Agreed. That’s why its still the most impactful DC story (no matter the medium) of the last 30 years.

Joker getting Mxy’s powers and finally being a foe worthy of Superman.

I think calling Emperor Joker a classic is overinflating it.

For me, its just a fun story. I don’t need every tale to have something going on under the surface. If all something is is just fun, then that works.

The stories with multiple layers and meanings are great, but the ones that are simple have value, too.

4 Likes

Well, that’s got me heading to Yon Comic Shoppe much earlier than I was anticipating.

I’ll tell my guy “moro sent me!”, to which he’ll say “No idea who that is, but thanks for coming in early.” :grin:

3 Likes

Same, except I’m not going back to previous issues out of sheer confusion, like it is with some other books. I go back to take it all in.

This whole thing, starting with Warworld Rising, needs an omnibus treatment, or at least deluxe editions.

2 Likes

Sure! No doubt about that. However, that is exactly why I called it overrated because, as fun as it is, I’m not sure it’s a “must read.”

4 Likes

You know what Triangle Era tale is a must-read for me?

Superman Blue. :sunglasses: :smirk:

4 Likes

:laughing: You are very unique in that regard.

4 Likes

I’m a very unique guy in general, so it works for me. :grin:

4 Likes