The Superman Thread

Well, the Modern Age Superman Club covered the debut of Superman Blue fairly recently, so you could say I do. :wink:

I always have and always will absolutely love the Blue and Red saga, because its pure fun.

No deconstruction of a character, no reboots/retcons, no grim 'n gritty anything, its just pure superhero fun as only comics do best.

For the full effect of the Blue and Red era, you’ll need to read the Superman Red/Superman Blue and Superman Forever one-shots, which aren’t yet available in digital, but are easy enough to get from back issue bins or eBay.

Red/Blue introduces Red, while Forever is where Clark gets his regular suit and powers back.

3 Likes

so…I have finally made it to the end of the 90’s in the Triangle Era…and Superman books have finally picked up again after what I felt was a lull…I never read this storyline before. Had no idea this story so dated the Injustice franchise. Superman has gone over the edge and is trying to solve all the world’s problems, turning even Lois against him…She just wrote an opinion piece calling him Superman Rex (not in a good way). Intriguing storyline…does a great job showing the dangers of this Superman balanced with the good and inspiration he is causing. Excellent work on displaying the moral conundrum caused by Superman “fixing” the world.

4 Likes

Yeah, I’ve always described the Injustice plot as the 1985-86 Squadron Supreme series with more blood…

3 Likes

What’d we think of this new release for this week:

I haven’t read it yet, but I liked what I saw as I flipped through it, especially the reprint content.

3 Likes

Oh shoot… forgot about this. Thanks for the reminder.

I liked the series this spun out of, but don’t remember a lot of the intricate twists in it. There was a lot going on in that book.

2 Likes

“No prob, Bob.”

Likewise. It was a fun read.

I wouldn’t mind a Perry White mini by Fraction. Or if not that, then another volume of Jimmy Olsen.

Of course, I also want more of Rucka’s Lois Lane.

3 Likes

DC would do well to expand their Superman related offerings. There’s also Steel, Supergirl, Superboy, and… Bibbo!

3 Likes

And Marshmallow Pete. :wink:

I’m looking forward to the new Superboy mini. If it sells well, I’m hoping we’ll see a new volume of Kon’s adventures.

Maybe team him up with Jon in a series titled “Superboys”? It could even cross over with Batgirls.

3 Likes

I picked it up, as well as Black Adam, but I have not read it yet.

4 Likes

Black Adam #1 was good.

Perry’s on-deck while I finish Fables #152.

2 Likes

I thought the Perry White was going to be better (more Fraction)…I did enjoy the story with Wild Cat!

3 Likes

Check out the ginchy/groovy final cover for Superman: Space Age #1:

6 Likes

I finally read it! The “For A Thousand Years” story. I have seen it alluded to in several other comics (most notoriously in Lois Lane’s interview with WW), but never actually seen it…till now.
It was unexpectedly good! (despite the cover art:

It really bounced off nicely with the “Mrs. Superman” storyline…Lois teasing Clark about it (if not her then who would he have picked to be Mrs. Superman…its a trap Clark! don’t answer!!) then suddenly:

Diana’s arrival sparks some little seen Lois jealousy…
The rest of the story shows the connection between Clark and Diana…these panels do a great job conveying it:

Many of us have been there…That other person who is close to us…the “could have been” if time and place had been different…but you love someone else, so you just remain close…love in a different way.
While I am no shipper of the WW/Superman romance, I think the best writing has made their relationship like this. A life long friendship that might be more if something happened to Lois, but will never be while she is there, and they are both ok with that…
They spent a Thousand Years together in the fight of their life…Clark never broke…though she “smelled like orchids and fire”, he made it back to Lois…very nice…

6 Likes

This is one of my favorite Superman stories. I believe it was in the trades that covered the year 2000. A lot of stuff happened that year in Superman and most of it was fun. This definitely stood out. I agree with you 100% on how Superman and Wonder Woman’s relationship was handled. It makes me respect Clark just that much more, I mean, she is Wonder Woman and after spending 1000 years with her…

5 Likes

They don’t make ‘em like this anymore. Loved Triangle Era.

6 Likes

Iiiiii… woulda caved…

5 Likes

I am probably biased since The triangle era was during the time I went from casually reading comics to a full on comic fan. But I love the triangle era. So many good stories came from that.

7 Likes

Haven’t read this yet, but I miss stories like this that show the very special relationships between members of the DC Trinity. Yes we’re lucky to usually have a Batman Superman book, but I’d love to see more Clark & Diana, or Bruce & Diana, or better yet bring back the Trinity book.

4 Likes

I’ve read through the 90’s and have made it the 2000’s!!! That was a lot of issues! It starts out with the City of Tomorrow stories. I have actually read these a long time ago, so it will be interesting to go back through them…starts off with the heart breaking story of mean, cheating Lois!!! (not saying anymore about it…you have to read it for yourself!!!)

5 Likes

I am loving the McGuinness artwork in these issues! Giant bodied men, thic women…The cartoonish style usually isn’t my cup of tea. For example, I can’t stand Romita Jr… he has a similar style, but for some reason can’t pull it off like this… I think its McGuinness’ facial expressions and crisp lines…I don’t know, but lovin’ it!

5 Likes