The Superman Thread

It’s cool! There are very few people with more controversial Superman opinions than me. :laughing:

4 Likes

I would enjoy a good debate with you, Superman or otherwise, for you are quite the sharp mind.

3 Likes

Right back at you, sir! Cheers!

5 Likes

For me, Emperor Joker was a rare bright spot in what is my least favorite era of Superman comics ever. (Loeb/ Kelly/ DeMatteis/ Casey/ Schultz from 2000-2003)

5 Likes

Aww. That’s too bad. Action Comics 775 is my favorite single comic issue ever.

4 Likes

I agree. I really dislike the way Loeb writes Superman and…

Very controversial opinion here
Seriously, this is a really unpopular opinion

The way Ed McGuinness draws Superman.

3 Likes

This issue and the place it holds in the hearts of most Superman fans has always kind of troubled me. On one hand, I’ve always found The Elite interesting, and, surface level, the story is a criticism of the graphic violence in comics at the time and reaffirms that Superman doesn’t kill (which is good). On the other hand, there’s a deeper subtext here that almost comes out and says that Superman also shouldn’t be an active agent of change for society (that also continues a theme of the Triangle Era as a whole). Say what you want about The Elite (The Authority) but that’s part of what they were trying to be. I’m not too crazy about that.

I liked the recent Superman and The Authority series much better in that regard.

1 Like

This is not that unpopular. McGuinness has a very stylized, cartoonish art style that naturally doesn’t sit well with many. You’re not the first person I see say something like this. I like his work, especially in the Batman/Superman series, but I don’t count him among my favorite Superman artists.

4 Likes

I can’t relate to that assessment. It isn’t my takeaway. :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

I like him more with time.

3 Likes

Same. I think reading the Batman Superman series and seeing that there’s more to his art than exaggerated physiques (facial expressions, great action shots) really made me warm up to it.

4 Likes

Some of my favorite artists style really just fits a certain type of book or story. There are some artists who do great action scenes, but when they do quieter scenes of people sitting around and talking you can just see it’s really not their strength. Andrea Sorrentino is a big example of that, for me. I really really loved his work on I, Vampire, but something like Superman might look a bit strange with that style. Or not, actually, I can see it being really cool for a Phantom Zone story.

4 Likes

My thoughts on the season finale of Superman & Lois. I got too excited :joy::

I think this is officially my favorite live action take on Supes.

2 Likes

Also… seeing Superman soar in today’s episode made me realize how much I miss seeing that. I love Warworld Saga, but I’m ready to see Clark get all his powers back again.

3 Likes

He always does.

3 Likes

Superman/Batman. :wink:

3 Likes

:00_superman1: :0_superman1:

3 Likes

I love McGuinness’ art, as its one of the things that made me such a huge fan of Superman/Batman (the official title of the book, look at the fine print at the end of each print issue or in the trades) to begin with, being that series is where I discovered him.

Comics are a form of cartooning and effectively still-motion cartoons, so saying someone’s art is “too cartoony” in a medium that, again, is a form of cartooning is like saying a cartoon is “too animated”.

Just my two cents. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I remember seeing this. My brain has just defaulted to DC alway putting Batman before anybody :slightly_smiling_face:.

This is a good point. I may have been guilty of saying some cartoons look too cartoony :joy:. At the end of the day, I think it’s a matter of personal taste/preference. On one end of the spectrum you have artists like Alex Ross, who basically does realistic looking paintings for comic panels, and on the other end you have artists like Riley Rossmo who make hyper stylized “cartoonish” art. There is a certain “sweet spot” for me though, and it does veer towards a less “cartoony” look :slightly_smiling_face:. Don’t know if that makes sense.

Edit: Forgot to say that I appreciate that entire spectrum I mentioned above. I enjoy the work of both artists I gave as examples.

3 Likes

Are you implying that Batman somehow gets preferential treatment over other characters? I highly doubt that’s true, mon frere. :wink:

When I see people call Superman/Batman “Batman/Superman”, it reminds me of Back to the Future Part II when '55 Biff and '15 Biff have a minor tiff over how to properly say “Make like a tree and leave.” :grin:

There is a series called “Batman/Superman” (two volumes, in fact), but its not the one that Ed McGuinness worked on.

Absolutely agree.

I love all forms of comic art, whether its hyper-realism like Alex Ross, or something fun and cartoony like Ed McGuinness. They all have their place within the wonderful medium that is comic books.

You hit the bullseye, Chief. :dart: :+1:t2:

4 Likes