The Superman Thread

It does.

Very interested to see where PKJ goes with Superman after this. I wonder if his earthly Superman adventures will capture the hearts of those that haven’t quite warmed up to his Warworld exploits.

3 Likes

So much for the secret identity, right?

Have to say, was nice to see a more badass Jon in this issue, fighting that senator beastomobob.

Feels like slowly but surely, Jon’s personality is coming into focus.

3 Likes

Wondering that as well…and how long will Clark be “dead”…

3 Likes

My guess? Not very long. Early solicits show a Clark/Jon crossover right after Warworld Saga ends. Will be interesting to see how they make it all line up.

2 Likes

I wonder if that will be before or after dark crisis?

4 Likes

Likely before, since Clark bit the dust in Justice League #75 (not a spoiler :wink:).

4 Likes

Finally got through the Blue and Red Superman saga…can’t say it was my favorite…

I just couldn’t get excited about his new powers, as cool as they were. The only potentially interesting part was cut cold by the Comics Authority…

I am not sure that (Rebirth, Bendis, Rucka) Lois would have kicked them to the couch…and as spicy as that sounds…it would turn to ash pretty quickly, with some good writing, as she realizes that her Clark is gone, and that she doesn’t really like either version of Clark that has only part of his overall personality…relationship Crisis!!!
Anyways…the redeeming aspects of this run revolve around Jimmy Olsen’s wild run from Intergang, and the adventures of Scorn and Ashbury…
Does anyone like this run? Thoughts???
Taking a break to read Superman/Shazam First Thunder next…

7 Likes

I haven’t read this but it is on my list of things to read.

I have been reading the digital comic Adventures of Superman and have been enjoying it. I like the concept of a different creative team for each 1-3 chapter story. I do think it is funny that no one is acknowledging Wonder Woman and Superman being together.

1 Like

I think that’s a pretty good way to sum up that era. If memory serves, Mark Waid got to write at least one issue of the Jimmy/Intergang stuff which is pretty cool. Personally, I’d recommend reading Superman (Vol. 1) #162 for “The Amazing Story of Superman-Red and Superman-Blue!” It inspired some of what you just read and is (imho) one of the greatest Superman stories ever told. Unfortunately, it is not digitized on DCUI yet, but, if you can find it, it’s worth it.

2 Likes

Can someone explain to me the new 52 Superman. I’m trying to remember what happened but he went away and was replaced by the current Superman (who is not from “our” earth?), is that correct? Also, they changed the costume back just cuz?

2 Likes

Thanks…I will read that…hoping this gets better in the 2000’s…

2 Likes

If memory serves me right:

In Flashpoint, due to Barry’s time travel shenanigans, the DC Universe was rebooted into the New 52. A comic event called Convergence brought back Superman & Lois Lane from before Flashpoint. At the end of New 52, we ended up with a world with 2 versions Superman. Pre-Flashpoint Supes, Lois, and their son Jon (who I believe was conceived during Convergence) found themselves living in a world where New 52 Clark was the Superman. Pre-Flashpoint Supes operated in secrecy for a while, until New 52 Clark died, and pre-Flashpoint Supes took his place in the beginning of the Rebirth era. Finally, there was “Superman Reborn”. In that story, through Myxyzptlk shenanigans, it was revealed that pre-Flashpoint and New 52 Supes (their essence or souls I guess) were essentially two halves (blue & red energy), that merged to become “whole”.

Each of these stages had a look:

New 52

Pre-Flashpoint Superman (before New 52 Supes died)

Rebirth Superman (pre-Flashpoint Superman after New 52 Superman died)

Superman Reborn the two merged:

Superman Reborn

Superman’s classic suit came back when Jon & Lois went on a space trip with Jor-El. He gave Lois his then current suit to protect her and went back to his classic threads while they were away,

5 Likes

I read this out of pure intrigue a couple years ago. Didn’t love it. Didn’t hate it. Would probably appreciate it more if I read it now, just because I’m generally more appreciative of different takes on Superman than I used to be. The one thing that I still remember is the obligatory thought bubble: “because my powers have changed and are now electromagnetic, I have to handle this one differently and use my electric what have you to…” Man that got repetitive.

3 Likes

lol…boy did it!!! They said it at least two or three times an issue!! lol…and I can tell you as I work through the 90’s…one character I never want to see again is Cyborg Superman…he keeps coming back and back and back…ugh…

3 Likes

And she looked great in it!!

4 Likes

Thanks. It’s crazy how confusing it is but it actually makes sense now!

3 Likes

Was this in Action or post Tomasi Superman?

2 Likes

Right at the Bendis takeover…

3 Likes

I was a teenager when this came out. I was experiencing changes myself. I don’t know if I’d care for it as much if there wasn’t the nostalgia.

4 Likes

See Superman (2018-) #7

4 Likes