The Superman Thread

Thanks for sharing.

Though I haven’t read the story to get full context, I just don’t picture Superman getting unhinged like this. If there’s an imp involved, I’m guessing it’s Mxyzptlk? Supes is usually able to use his wits to outsmart the guy in various clever ways. This seems like a twist to that old dynamic. I may skip ahead to read this since y’all are talking about it.

3 Likes

You got the imp part right…in part…give it a read and let me know what you think…

3 Likes

Really enjoyed the latest issue of Action Comics! PKJ and co continue to knock it out of the park in terms of telling an epic story! Can’t wait for next week’s annual!

4 Likes

I know! I am definitely going to have to go back and read them all again when the story is complete…a month is too long to wait between issues…

4 Likes

I’m on a six month delay, but it’s the best Action has been, imo, since the end of Triangle Era.

4 Likes

Well, I know what my next Triangle Era re-read will be.

begins bookmarking issues of Dead Again

After that? Maybe a re-read of The Death of Clark Kent.

4 Likes

I’m slowly reading all Triangle in order. About to begin Death/Funeral. It’ll take about six months because I’m only able to tackle two or three issues a day. It’s still as good as I remember.

4 Likes

Another fun episode from the Triangle Era guest starring Mr. Miracle against Death Trap (a villain who really should be Mr. Miracle’s nemesis)…but I have a feeling that the writers really only wanted this for the Barda cake…

3 Likes

Still working my way through the Triangle Era. Just got finished with The Death of Clark Kent. It was riveting. Even though you know its going to all work out, it was constant suspense! I will admit, you have to suspend some extra disbelief…there were a lot of “Wait…how did…” thrown to the wind, but overall, I liked it better than Dead Again.
Now, here is why it is important to today’s Superman. Bendis and Company really got this wrong (No, not trashing Bendis. I did like a lot of what he did, but he really screwed the pooch on this one). Clark would never reveal his secret identity. After watching what Conduit does to him, you can see why. BUT IT GOES DEEPER than that. Clark is Clark first. Superman is his secret identity. Not the other way around. I submit for your approval:

I thought this was well articulated, and perhaps the “reason of being” for this whole arc…

Thoughts?

3 Likes

I haven’t read the Bendis run yet but this is one of those things that makes me hesitant to do so. Granted, I have been reading everything from Future State on and still getting used to the idea of no more Clark Kent. As an experiment the secret identity being gone works but I am now wondering if Dark Crisis will return Clark Kent to the world.

3 Likes

:thinking:

Again I haven’t read this yet, but I find your link to Bendis interesting. The title of the story is “Death of Clark Kent”, which is far from what has happened recently in the comics. Revealing his identity and being Clark Kent are not mutually exclusive. In the latest Action Comics, he starts off his journal entry with “I’m Clark Kent”, not “I’m Superman”. In a recent interview with PKJ, he touched a little bit on how cool it was for him to write that: Superman introducing himself simply as Clark, because that’s always how he’s viewed himself. In a way, it’s Clark being himself through and through, without any pretending or lying (the latter part being what triggered him in the first place). If we look at Superman & Lois, however, we see the media circus that follows the Bizarro Kents around, and the turmoil that potentially causes for the family. It made living a normal wholesome life for them rather difficult. The comics haven’t really addressed that yet.

In any case, I love the discussion surrounding this. Like or dislike Bendis, I feel like he at least opened things up for healthy fan debates in a thoughtful manner.

Clark Kent hasn’t left the world, he just merely told the world his biggest secret. I get what you’re saying though, and agree. I think the secret identity is coming back.

4 Likes

You should absolutely read the Bendis run…there is no escaping it…There are actually some really good parts to enjoy. Some of the plot threads he dangled, I wish had been followed up on. Give it a read. You will love it and hate it…but don’t be scared of it.

3 Likes

I was watching the Fleischer cartoons and i noticed a few things:

• A lot of Superman’s leaps look a lot like flying
  • The crest of El has a black background a la Kingdom Come
  • Lois Lane has a pilot’s license
4 Likes

I agree that they have made Clark his main persona…but it still leaves him with the same problems that he discussed in the panel…everything he does now is circumspect…and the hell on earth for everyone associated with him is pretty well played out in the Death of Clark Kent arc…can the writers make it work? Of course…but in the long run, I can’t see how it makes sense while Lois and other loved ones are alive. As @D4RK5TARZ pointed out…the Superman and Lois show did a good job of showing the media circus and life that would be the result of such a reveal. That kind of life goes against everything we know about Clark…I am hoping that they bring back the secret identity. I get Bendis’ frustration that it limits the character of Superman, but in the end it works…

2 Likes

I think that was me countering my own point, unless Darkstars mentioned before & I missed it. Apologies if that’s the case :slightly_smiling_face:.

I think what Bendis was trying to tackle was “Truth” in “Truth, Justice, and the American Way”. He tried to weave it into the story in a way that was implied. Yeah there was the big speech, but he still could have driven the point home a bit more emphatically.

I have zero issues with the secret identity coming back. Like most of us, Clark Kent is a character with many layers to peel. I believe we all filter ourselves to some degree depending on the situation and people we’re dealing with. We may wear different metaphorical hats or masks at work, home, or even in a public place like the grocery story. Clark Kent is that on steroids. He’s the farm boy raised by a kind couple. An investigative reporter in constant search of the truth. An alien with unparalleled powers on a mission to help and do the right thing. Hey may not be of us, but he is one of us. The secret identity to me, highlights all of the above. Yes it has its well documented practical in-story purposes, but I feel it is used best when it emphasizes all the different sides to Clark Kent’s personality.

Sorry. I don’t mean to turn this into a secret identity soap box. I just find that aspect of Superman rather interesting. Some (most?) folks seem to have a definitive view on it. For me, it’s always ripe for discussion :slightly_smiling_face:.

2 Likes

it would be interesting if all heroes were public heroes, but superman, the most powerful hero, had a secret identity

2 Likes

I wouldn’t say I am scared of it but I am limited on time. Granted, I read a few 100 comics per month those are usually dictated by what I buy in Humble Bundle bundles. I tend to gravitate to stuff I have personally purchased. With that said, I do have the Man of Steel hardcover from Bendis on a shelf that I haven’t read yet.

Interesting factoid, this seems to be the standard outside of DC Comics as his shield was depicted as black in the comic strips.

Now if we could get Mr. LeClear to confirm this as the comic books of this era did not seem to feature the black background.

(I have the first volume of the Dailies and when this was mentioned I was somewhat confused by your statement as I have seen this before. Thankfully, I was able to figure it out pretty fast as my copy is on the shelf behind statues because of the weird shape of the book.)

To make this even more interesting, here is the poster of Superman vs The Mole Man.
This doesn’t have a black background. So now the question is what is the origin of the black background? I was able to confirm multiple sources of it along with the Fleischer films, it was definitely a thing. To be honest, I grew up watching a VHS of those animated shorts and never once thought about that black background, it was customary to me. Then I saw it on the Dalies cover and figured it was part of Supe’s history. It indeed is part of his history but not his comic book history according to Google searches or scrolling through DCUI covers.

3 Likes

10 points for remembering the “Truth” argument…I had forgotten about that! This is a debate that I am sure will continue for a long time. I think it boils down to "Is he primarily Clark masquerading as Superman, or is he Superman masquerading as Clark.’ Before I started reading Superman, I thought it was the later…after reading I am firmly convinced that it is the former. Clark is a nice counter point to the Bruce Waynes “I Am Batman” of the world.

2 Likes

recently superman had a flashback on the superman and lois show where he wore thst S shield.

Also the suit Conner Kent is wearing now would be fit that S shield perfectly

4 Likes

In my mind, it’s neither. He’s both. He’s as much the investigative reporter and farm boy as he is the superhero. It’s like having a day job one really likes, and helping out in the soup kitchen when not working. One may have reasons for keeping one separate from the other, and may even have a different aura about themselves in these different settings, but neither would be a masquerade per se.

Of course I will counter myself again… but what about the mumbling clumsy Clark Kent routine in Superman: The Movie, and the Superman: Secret Origin comic? In those interpretations, I almost feel like neither Superman nor the mumbling Clark Kent are his true self, but rather who he is with the very few that know his secret, where he can just be.

There are other interpretations. The Dean Cain version very much aligns with your thoughts. Superman is “what he can do” and Clark Kent is “who he is”.

Your mileage will vary, but at the end of the day I think it depends greatly on who’s writing. I enjoy the different takes, but I kinda like it best when the line is blurred and it’s not so cut & dry (secret identity notwithstanding). Superman & Lois does that, so did the Snyder movies, and so do some modern comics.

4 Likes