The Superman Thread

That dude! He was… here.

4 Likes

Also, that was, like, two years ago. :exploding_head:

4 Likes

Please excuse my fuzzy memory regarding DJ as BA. I remember rumors of this back in 2006-2008. (Turns out 2007 per the site I just found) Johnson has been championing this role forever. I think this is a passion project for him, which is great for us, the fans.

Here is what I found on the interwebs.

Johnson first expressed interest in playing Black Adam in 2007, when New Line Cinema was developing a Shazam! movie with Peter Segal directing. The project was eventually shelved, but the desire to see Johnson play the antihero persisted.
https://www.cbr.com/black-adam-over-a-decade-reason/

Now, to get back on Superman. I am soo happy to see a conversation about Triangle Era Superman. One of my favorite stories is Death of Clark Kent. It was sort of cheesy and I can see people not digging it but I really liked it.

5 Likes

3D conversions suck. Its a fact.

The rare exceptions are those where at least a year or longer was spent on the conversion.

That’s why Titanic’s 3D iteration is solid, and a textbook good conversion.

Native is where its at in 3D. Either film in 3D, or stick to 2D.

I’m tapping out for now, kids. Have fun!

tugs on his “I liked The Death of Clark Kent” t-shirt as he gets up to fly off

4 Likes

I remember liking it. I liked Superman stuff consistently from 91-01.

3 Likes

You’re right and I stand corrected. It does seem like a movie I am really going to like, so not against it by any means. Maybe it’s because I have Middle Eastern roots myself, and I’ve always seen the cultures, accents and locales severely misrepresented in our movies, but that’s a topic for another day.

3 Likes

I always start the Triangle Era reading binge and then get sidetracked. I have read all of the Superman stuff from the year 2000 thanks to a trade paperback collection I have…I miss the days of getting those for $0.10 on Amazon and paying $5 for shipping. Sure, shipping didn’t cost that much in reality but I got a nice collection of books that way because I was able to tell myself the prices were crazy low.

4 Likes

You are right and I agree with you there. I was just surprised my fuzzy memory was actually right for once. (My twenties are kind of fuzzy as it is…) But yeah, I am hoping for a good movie.

4 Likes

I miss these days too.

I always thought Triangle Era went out with class. Action 775, toward the end, is still one of my favorite single issues ever.

4 Likes

How you guys remember years and issue numbers is fascinating.

Though I know 775 is special. That’s “What’s So Funny…”, right?

4 Likes

You know, now that I think about. Batman sort of copied the Triangle Era in the 90s but instead had everything labeled as an event. No Man’s Land and Knightfall come to mind. The basic idea of reading all of the Batman comics and miscellaneous off-shoots for one story could be seen in the monthly Superman titles. I know events aren’t new and this concept has been around since at least the 80s but Superman was doing it as business as usual.

3 Likes

That’s the one.

Me and @D4RK5TARZ have talked about the memory thing. Mine is getting worse. His is still pretty sharp. I couldn’t remember pomegranate while holding one earlier, so there’s that. :joy:

3 Likes

I used to be a HUGE Deadhead. Got into Grateful Dead via my dad. Anyway, at one point in time, I was able to rattle off concert dates, dates that certain songs were played, concert highlights, etc. I still have a few books called Deadbase lying around that literally give stats as if Grateful Dead and their songs were a baseball team. It has the number of times songs played, what the most common songs were that came before and after, if a song was a set opener, set closer, encore. I would just devour those books and listen to bootleg concerts. I can’t do that now, at least not like I was able to. But yeah, I remember weird stuff which oddly helps in my job.

3 Likes

I’m a fan. I’ve got the old TPB of that story. My enjoyment of the Triangle Era doesn’t really decline until Carlin leaves the editor chair after Trial of Superman (silly but such fun action). I wish a couple other of those fairly big post-Death and Return storylines had been collected. Dead Again and Battle for/Fall of Metropolis were fun too.

Maybe maybe maybe we’ll someday get omnis or HCs that collect stuff after Exile that isn’t Death and Return.

5 Likes

I have that same TPB, it sits proudly next to death, world without, and return TPBs!

5 Likes

I chalk it up to having an excellent memory and having had a very meager social life in years past.

At some point in my youth, I decided to become borderline anal-retentive in my pop culture knowledge in my free time, since it certainly wasn’t spent hanging out with friends, kickin’ it at keggers, etc.

I find that in retrospect, becoming a nerd with a thick, knowledge-soaked mental sponge was the better course of action, in comparison to having an active social life that would have kept me away from my pop culture loves.

'Sides, I’ve always been a “the fewer, the better” kind of guy when it comes to friends. Quality over quantity is The Way. :slight_smile:

Dead Again is deserving of a collection, especially this year, seeing as how its the 30th anny of The Death of Superman and anything pertaining to it (even tangentially) should be in the spotlight.

4 Likes

Action Comics #1043 was the Superbook this week, so what’d we think?

My highlights:

:superman: The opening scene, wherein Superman is thinking of Lois and Jon, but prioritizing the mission in front of him.

“Remember your wife and son…do what it takes to see them again.”

:superman: The backstory of Olgrun.

:superman: The beginning of the Myth of Mongul backup.

I’ve enjoyed the backups of the last year and change in Action (Midnighter especially), so having one about the chief antagonist of the Warworld Saga is nice.

3 Likes

Just finished reading the Dead Again arc for the first time ever. Absolutely loved the premise of the story. Brilliant, and believable. Unfortunately, I think it left much to be desired. Clark out of control and deranged was just a leap too far. I think this would have been much better handled as a longer, background arc. Clark slowly doubting who he is, as well as everyone else. His friendships and relationships cracking (and this would have been a great time to have brought back Union Jeb who would have tried to take advantage of Lois’ doubts)…the ending could have been the same. But it would really have highlighted Clark’s fragility. He has always been a lonely guy. Different. He doesn’t have a ton of real friends, so if the ones he has started doubting, it would open up a lot of insecurities and psychological scars that would show that the Man of Steel has a soft vulnerable heart…but that is just me. Hope I am not raining on anyone’s parade. I know I just read a while ago here someone saying this arc was a favorite. And it did have its moments. Thoughts? Am I being a Queen that just wants more Drama???

4 Likes

I haven’t read this yet, so will sit the discussion out and hopefully be entertained by what folks have to say :slightly_smiling_face:.

3 Likes

Here is a scene from Dead Again. Highlights Clark’s craziness…about to turn poor Inspector Maggie Sawyer into pulp…this was probably the most gripping scene of the story for me.
I am surprised that the writers never bothered to write in Maggie as a closer friend to Clark. They are literally together in just about every episode that happens in Metropolis. I think she would make a great friend/confident to Superman (much like Diana is).
He definitely owes her a small box of kryptonite in case this ever happens again. Don’t trust Bruce, Superman, trust Maggie…

4 Likes