The Superman Thread

I like the black background S, but I’m a sucker for the primary colors. I kind of liked how they explained it on the CW’s “Crisis on Infinite Earths”, where the black symbolized Clark’s loss and the darker times he had been through, only for the yellow to come back at the very end when hope was restored (or something along those lines).

3 Likes

thats why I like the black for Conner, cause it not only has the same reason that Clark used it for, but also because it shows his dark side (lex)

2 Likes

It looks like just for those covers.

I have the Dailies volumes and they are all black and white, but the shield background is not colored black.

In the Sundays, which are in color, it is all red and yellow (and sometimes white).

The 1942 novel also has the familiar red and yellow.

4 Likes

This is even more interesting and odd. I understand the difference in the cartoons but the covers having the variant is an odd choice. Perhaps they wanted the covers to mirror the animation of the time?

2 Likes

The books containing the newsstrips date to 1998 and I believe that’s when the cover art was made. Originally made by Kitchen Sink Press, then DC collected those editions together.

4 Likes

I love how during the Triangle Era that Lex Luthor keeps looking better and better. First he was fat and toady, then made a clone body with so much red hair that he looked like an Irish wolfman, then that clone body wasted away until he rejuvenated it to look like this:

Look at how those red eyebrows pop! If he keeps this up, he may finally get Lois to swoon…

4 Likes

Still wading through the Triangle Era. So glad that I am…there is a ton of Superman lore!! It was pretty solid up until the break-up, make-up and wedding. I don’t think this was handled well.
The break-up was pretty spot-on. Lois did have some valid concerns, and their relationship was put through the blender (Lori Lemaris returning into Clark’s life, and Clark not being truthful about their past…Clark being kidnapped and taken away to space for weeks, Superman refusing to kill the Joker in order to save Lois’ life, and them not even able to spend an hour together before Clark having to whisk away to stop another calamity).
So Lois calls it off, breaks up, has a very nice kiss with the Alpha Centurion (can’t fault her for that), and then becomes over-seas correspondent and moves away because Clark won’t leave her alone…not blaming Clark, but he does over do it to the point of pushing her away (all of us can probably relate).
So all of that is fine until the make-up.
They cut Lois out completely, even through The Final Night arc…what was she doing during that time? No one knows… We finally see her in the first issue after Final Night where she travels to Bhutan and has a mystic discovery…

wait…what?? You were afraid of losing your independence, so you were a big jerk and ran away…and Clark is a great guy?? Ready to get married now??? Yes, Lois, you were kind of a jerk, but you broke it off for valid, complicated issues…and now its boiled down to this two-dimensional reason?
Then she returns and is kind of mean to Clark:

Maybe its supposed to be banter??? It just doesn’t play well, though…At this point, Lois should have had to work a little to repair their relationship…don’t get me wrong…they belong together…but she took a wrecking ball to their relationship (not blaming…just what happened)…it would have been nice to see a little effort on her part…Clark comes off like a love-sick school boy, which would have been fine if she was the dominate one in the relationship…and that would be interesting, but she is not. They are pretty balanced.
Sorry, I just had to vent. It was a missed opportunity for them to really explore their relationship, watch them heal the hurts, and have them come out stronger than ever…
I think starting my Superman readings at Rebirth, and seeing how Lois and Clark were written there, kind of broke me…

3 Likes

And now for the rest of the story.

Originally the wedding was supposed to take place in Superman #75, but the Lois & Clark tv show came along and Superman was killed off instead. DC would wait until they got married on the tv show to get them married in the comics. DC thought it would be later in season four of the tv series, but the tv series unexpectedly moved it up to episode 3 in October. DC had to rush to the end of the Lois is away storyline and get them married with just a few months notice. This will effect the “Power Struggle” arc after the honeymoon as well.

3 Likes

Thanks…I heard that they held off of the tv show…unfortunately, I think rushing and a sense of false deadlines cost them some iconic storytelling…a good example as any to keep the mediums completely separate…starting the Power Struggle storyline now!! So thanks for the heads up!!

4 Likes

And on a further note…I think someone should definitely make a graphic novel around the adventures of Lois as a foreign correspondent during the…break-up… lol

3 Likes

Any reason for a solo Lois story is always welcome!

4 Likes

She really does need her own comic…would have to be the right writer, though…

3 Likes

I would be more than happy if Rucka returned. His Lois series was a lot of fun.

5 Likes

Friendly heads-up that if you’re reading Power Struggle on DCUI, part 3 of the tale (which is also triangle 1997 #3)…

…isn’t yet available in digital (it has been requested for a digital release, so hopefully we’ll see it here at some point).

Fortunately, its an easy enough book to snag from most back issue bins and/or eBay.

The rest of Power Struggle is on DCUI. Its a mystery why Action #729 was skipped over.

4 Likes

ok…was this supposed to really be a thing…and ended up being a failure and reverting back? They seem pretty serious about it. New costume and everything.

2 Likes
3 Likes

Lol! It sounds like you are currently reading through my least favorite era of Superman. To answer your questions: Yes, that was really supposed to be a thing. Was it a failure? Ehhhhh… tough to say. It got them some publicity at the time and it was probably never meant to last forever.

3 Likes

This actually has roots to the 50s or 60s. Yes, this was definitely something that happened and it was rather popular at the time. I am all about that costume and look but I really hate that title font.

3 Likes

Well…that doesn’t bode well…The Triangle Era has been good so far…but what I have seen of his new powers has been annoying. Maybe it will get better???

3 Likes

The costume is nice…got to say, though, my favorite is still the Black.

3 Likes