The Superman Thread

Of course he’s going to say Black Adam would take Superman.

I mean, Mark Hamill would say Luke could kick Han’s ass, even though he knows Han would drop Luke like a sack of dirt in a fist to fist, no Force powers, rumble.

Johnson is an excellent self-promoter. If it gets asses in the seats, he’ll likely say Teth could kick Santa Claus’s ass, too. :grin:

4 Likes

:joy:

4 Likes

In all honesty, DJ is right that BA could take Superman, but only to an extent.

We all know BA is fueled by magic and Superman doesn’t exactly like magic, so BA does have a slight advantage over him.

In the end, they’ll shake hands, one will say “Let’s go save the day!”, while the other says a Power Rangers-style “Right!” and then off they go to whomp some ass, as only The Ultimate Badass and Black Adam can.

4 Likes

Yeah. Kingdom Come. I imagine it like that, except BA substitutes Shazam.

Supes and his magic.

4 Likes

ponders if DJ has read Kingdom Come

I wonder if he’s seen Superman/Shazam!: The Return of Black Adam, too.

4 Likes

Few thoughts:

• I like Dwayne Johnson. My family & I have enjoyed most of his movies so far. I think the idea of making him the face, or a face of DC is a good one. As much as we’d all like to ■■■■■ & moan about story, characterization, etc, charisma goes a long way in creating a successful movie franchise, and Johnson has a lot of that.
  • The hierarchy of power in the DC Universe is about to… yeah, uhuh. How about announce a Superman movie and make a new tagline “The beacon of hope in the DC Universe still shines bright”. And lead up to the eventual showdown/teamup.
  • Marvel movies are formulaic? Perhaps. Uber successful? Yes. Bright, fun, and hopeful? Most of the time. Cemented Marvel characters into world pop culture? Yes. Gave a boost to their comic sales? Perhaps (look at Moon Knight’s recent success. Coincidinq?). If they’re so formulaic is the world wrong for handing billions over to Disney? Depends on how cynical you are. Far as I’m concerned, if DC can find their own magic recipe for a big screen franchise, I’m all for it. Right now, they are far from it. They may have had it if Justice League was released as intended by its creative team, and WB followed the original plan to branch out to other directors and solo movies from there, but that’s water under the bridge now.
  • I’ve said this elsewhere but for my money, MoS, BvS (the ultimate edition) and ZSJL were brilliant. I recognize their flaws, but they were just terrific movies that DC hasn’t been able to match on the big screen since.
  • This is a Superman thread, so I need to bring this full circle. As much as I put the Christopher Reeve / Richard Donner movies on a pedestal, I honestly think their greatness and historical significance can sometimes be a hinderance to new movies about the Man of Steel. From a fan standpoint, if that was the epitome of Superman movies, why make new ones at all? Creators either try to ape them (Superman Returns) or pivot into a drastically different direction (Snyder), with mixed results in both cases. When we as Superman fans are able to keep an open mind to the possibilities of what Superman stories can be, and creators find a balance between what was and what can be, success can be found. Case in point: Superman & Lois. Take that approach to the big screen, WB.
4 Likes

With regards to your thoughts on Superman movies…

I can’t say much, but if you were able to read some Superman…things (can’t say more) that I submitted to a certain movie studio in the past, you’d likely be grinning ear to ear as goosebumps of geeky joy ripple through, again and again, while you exhaust yourself from all of the “YES!” fistpumping and cheering you would absolutely be doing.

Point being, there are creatives who want Superman movies that have their own identity, don’t ape what came before and are tremendously reverential of the source material while also making for audience-pleasing movies.

They just haven’t heard “Let’s do it.” from the right people. Yet. :wink:

3 Likes

Let’s hope that a certain new executive team have the right vision. Maybe they’ll stumble on your “things” in the archive and see the potential in them, in which case I volunteer to be part of your PR team :wink:.

3 Likes

I see your points. They’re all valid. My only argument would be about the formulaic Marvel movies.

They are bright, and fun. They have cemented the characters as pop icons.

They are, nevertheless, assembly line at this point. It’s also almost impossible to jump on board for new viewers. So much content. This will, as the westerns of the 50’s and 60’s, ultimately lead to fatigue. Or, I fear.

My concern with them being so “same” is because of their popularity. If people grow tired of them, which is being suggested by the front-endedness of the box office (hardcore fans are showing up and Doc Strange 2 dropped almost 70% it’s second Friday), or they can’t attract new viewers, then it’ll trickle down. People will very likely lose interest in “comic movies” featuring lesser known characters. I don’t want to see that guilty by association viewing happen.

Really don’t want for see that happen. Especially with how I’m rooting for MoS2.

4 Likes

When the head honcho of Discovery feels (and this is on public record, I’m told) that DC is WB’s greatest asset and that Superman should be a key on-screen priority of said asset, I have hope.

BTW, I too love MOS and ZSJL. Just love 'em!

4 Likes

Me too! MoS is really, really good.

4 Likes

It is!

I know you’ve seen the 4K transfer, right? Right? :nerd_face:

3 Likes

I did. About two years ago just before my eyes went kaput.

3 Likes

Not to get too OT, but Aquaman’s 4K transfer is :kissing: :pinched_fingers:t2: as well.

'Kay, back to Superman chit-chat.

3 Likes

I’d like to see them use Cavill again before he ages out of the role.

4 Likes

This is a very very good point that I haven’t given much though to. If it happens, well ■■■■, it happens. The world will keep going round & round as I get older and hold on to my “old stuff”. Funny I mention that. I just started watching the George Reeves show, something that is waaaay before my time and of which I’ve only caught an episode here & there.

I have hope that Superman will find his footing in pop culture again somehow. The current comics are very good and the show is very good. It seems there are always people who “care” whether its creatives or fans. Never say never.

4 Likes

Don’t get me started.

Sooooo ■■■■■■■ shortsighted of DC not to go all in on the man.

5 Likes

Same. I really like Cavill, as he’s my second-favorite LA movie Superman after Reeve.

However, if they were to recast and have a new actor play that iteration of Superman, I wouldn’t be against that, either.

Especially if its an actor who is an ardent Superman geek and wants to commit at least a decade to the role (while doing other gigs between Superman and other DC movies, natch).

5 Likes

Agreed, but direct your frustration toward Warner Brothers Pictures, rather than DC themselves, as DC typically has little to nothing to do with the movies, or other outside media (there are exceptions, yes, but they’re rare).

4 Likes

Where??!! Did you have to buy it. I watched the hell out of it as a kid.

4 Likes