The Superman Thread

I’m working my way through triangle era (again). They’re collected pretty darn well here now. It’s so comforting and nostalgic, I find myself nodding off a lot. That’s actually a big compliment coming from me.

4 Likes

I’m really enjoying reading through the Triangle Era. I get hooked in easily, so when I sit down to read one issue in the evening, before I know it I’ve read four. :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

It’s so good, right? I’ve loved Supes since 1983, but this period in the comics really got me hooked for life.

3 Likes

I’ve only really read newer Superman issues, or some of the limited series, so it’s fun having such a long run with continuing stories to read.

5 Likes

Really makes me long for a time when the writers stuck around for a while.

4 Likes

Moving on through the 90’s (I guess you call it the “Triangle Era” ?) Got through the Death of Superman…on to the Reign of the Supermen…I think they should have had Clark stay dead for a little longer than he was (but that’s just me…I love a good soap opera)…but anyways, this was the way to kill off an icon. Really well done and moving (the movies will never have enough build up and development to carry this off well…)…this final scene, though…

gives me goose bumps every time!

I would love it if DC got a whole bunch of their best artists together and did the Death of Superman scenes…maybe under the guise of the tribute book that was made out of Jimmy Olsen’s famous pictures…

7 Likes

The “Triangle Era” gets its nickname from those triangles on the cover of every issue of a Super-book at that time, letting you know the reading order across the different titles for that year.

Death and Return of Superman is one of my favorites because of how it shows how much Superman means to the world and how hard he is to replace. It brings together a lot of storylines that had been running for years. I think that’s what makes it tricky to adapt. This was the 75th issue of Superman, to say nothing of all the issues of Adventures of Superman, Action Comics, and Superman: The Man of Steel. A long-running TV show could probably build enough love for the character to really make the death have its full emotional impact, but that’s a huge ask for a movie or two. (Still, I thought the most recent animated film did a pretty decent job for the amount of time it had, and the musical cue in Batman v Superman hits me right in the feels, though I probably feel more because I automatically carry a ton of love for Big Blue.)

6 Likes

No joke, I still get a little choked-up when I read Superman #75 and see that scene.

It hit 9-year-old me in the heart quite hard when the book came out (and I was a big Batman guy, back then) and it still hits late 30s me in the heart quite hard, too.

Every time I see Superman’s death scene, my inner-voice always says “Superman cannot die!”

Of course, I also say that when I watch BvS and the animated movies Superman dies in.

What can I say? I absolutely love the guy. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I just hope DC does something big for Supes 85th birthday next year!

3 Likes

I am really liking this era of Superman because they do have so many storylines going. I think that is missing today. They seem to have tunnel vision most of the times in getting one arc done before going on to another one. I like this “many hooks in the water” approach they had going.
Unfortunately, I can’t say the same for B v S…I’ve watched it a couple of times and …nothing. Which is unfortunate because I absolutely love Man of Steel movie!! But this is why I love comics. They are vastly superior to the movies and always will be.

6 Likes

All this, except I was 10.

I’m slowly working through Triangle Era again. It’s not easy with my sight. Most days I get in one issue a day. Sometimes two.

I’ll always love Superman the most, and Triangle Era really is a beautiful thing. It takes its time.

SN: I’ve become a fan of many characters (Azrael and Superboy) over the years, but just realized that the characters I really love seem to be from 1987-1997. :thinking:

5 Likes

This doesn’t surprise me. We both grew up in this era and it is often the era we fall back on. It is almost like comfort food.

4 Likes

It’s total comfort food!

4 Likes

It’s not for everyone. I certainly don’t like it as much as MoS.

I agree. Though, DC overlords, I wouldn’t complain if we got a great Superman movie. :wink:

5 Likes

Still in the Triangle Era…Superman is back…but Clark is supposed to be dead??? How are we going to fix that?

What I love about this is both the ridiculous ideas, and the fact that in Clark’s amnesia story there happens to be a hot farmer’s daughter…I guess if you are going to make up stories, you should be all in!!

5 Likes

Maybe I’m jaded, but I think Superman 2 might be the last great one we get. Since the 80’s, Hollywood has become more and more IP/star focused, and less and less story focused.

The reason I say this? Well, instead of selling the story, they’re selling an image. Like, to me, most Marvel movies are the same movie. More or less.

Today I read they want to anchor the DCEU on Dwayne Johnson going forward because he has massive star power, and isn’t controversial. If this is true, not only will there be Black Adam overload, but it’ll mean we’re trapped inside the limitations of that single actor’s range. Essentially they’re about to do with an actor what they’ve been doing with the Batman character in print.

It sends a message that they aren’t confident in the material, so the material doesn’t matter. So the content, I would expect, will suffer as a result.

6 Likes

lol…and in the next issue we get a Lois fantasy played out…

5 Likes

I think there might have been a Silver Age Superman story with that plot. I can’t think of where I would have read that though…

4 Likes

If a focus on DJ (and I don’t blame WB for wanting that) gets us a Superman/Black Adam movie…I won’t complain.

SN: I’ll certainly buy the action figures. :wink:

SN 2: For those reading the series, don’t forget to chime in with your thoughts on the new ish of World’s Finest over in the apropos thread (link’s in my profile if you need).

3 Likes

He’s already on the record saying his Black Adam could take Superman. If he’s a producer, that could mean he might get it his way. :man_facepalming:

3 Likes