The Superman Thread

They’re all really good books. I’m looking forward to Dark Crisis too, Superman has a big role in that! Well, the Superman that’s the Son of Kal-El. :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

So…I am going to the way, way back and reading through the 90’s Superman! But, you know…there are certain characters that DC writers love to hate…Today’s Sue Dibny Award goes to Lucy Lane !!! So far, she has been blinded, shot and now being assaulted by her doctor…a vampire!! I am sure more is to come…

5 Likes

Same here. Can’t wait for that one to come out.

4 Likes

I’ve read those issues recently…ish. You’re right; didn’t really stop to think how much crap they put her through.

I’m going through the same Triangle era stuffs, though at a glacial pace. I’m just past Death & Return. I love the energy so far.

4 Likes

Sounds like you are ahead of me! I am surprised at how well these hold up. I love that they have several back stories going on at once. Also, that they have the long arc slowly building behind the scenes as the short arc things are happening. It is a nice “soap opera” style that I wish DC would get back to.

5 Likes

What I like the most about this era: its complete lack of pretentiousness. Sometimes writers try pretty hard to show how much they know or understand Superman. I don’t get that with the 90s stuff. It’s just pure Superman fun, full of energy and excitement. Not saying it lacks insight, because it doesn’t. It was just a team of writers and artists working together and not trying to outdo anyone or to overindulge in one creator’s tendencies. Must have been fun to follow Superman comics at the time for those that did.

P.S. Wasn’t trying to knock writers who do show their understanding of Superman. We got some masterpieces from such works, like All Star Superman and Superman For All Seasons.

5 Likes

Well, this is a pleasant surprise. Perry White is getting his own comic!

8 Likes

I’m excited about this! Honestly I’d like a lot of focus just on him deciding what to print. “Do we feature Superman fighting an alien on the moon, LuthorCorp trying to buy Wayne Industries, the Joker breaking out again, or last night’s city council meeting?”

4 Likes

Just took the time to actually read the article. It’s a one shot, with a 7-page story by Fraction and Lieber, and a few reprint stories. Looks like they’ll be back for another volume of Jimmy Olsen after that. I got a bit overexcited thinking we’re getting a Perry White ongoing, but this is still welcome news. Their Jimmy Olsen comic was great.

4 Likes

I just read it too. I really like Matt Fraction, and having more Jimmy Olsen comics is always a great thing.
I also think one shots like this are a good way to show that there’s interest in a character. I would assume if it sells well enough, that would hopefully lead to more stories.

4 Likes

:crossed_fingers:

I just want that team to do Bibbo. What a perfect fit that would be.

5 Likes

I really really liked the recent Bibbo backup stories. I would absolutely buy anything featuring him.

4 Likes

I am beyond excited for this. As much as I wanted more Jimmy Olsen from Fraction and Lieber, I did not expect it to happen. Maybe we’ll get a little more Perry White time in vol. 2.

4 Likes

I hope they can get Rucka back for another Lois series as well.

5 Likes

Which is why the Triangle Era is my favorite period of modern Superman. Its the textbook way of doing Superman in a modern setting.

Happy Birthday, @Green.Lantern! Have a :superman:uper-special day! :00_lc_green_lantern: :partying_face:

5 Likes

Thank you! :slight_smile: I definitely plan to have one. :00_superman1:

4 Likes

Happy Birthday!

4 Likes

Thank you! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

You should skip work today. Nobody will know!

As a gift, and because of the topic we’re in, I give you the best darn 5 minutes of celluloid ever! Happy birthday!!

5 Likes

Thank you! A little known secret is that the Sciencells were initially made for people who skipped work, so I’d better not. :stuck_out_tongue:
That’s definitely a fun gift. :slight_smile:

4 Likes