The Official DC Book Club Returns: Icon & Rocket Season One!

The Official DC Community Book Club is back! Join this Black History Month celebration as we read Icon & Rocket Season One!

Starting on February 13 this Official DC Community Book Club celebration of Black History Month, as we read Icon & Rocket Season One #1-#2! As Arnus lives his days as a human man on an unfamiliar planet named Earth, he is confronted by a young woman who convinces him to use his incredible gifts to become a protector of good. This eventually leads to the creation of one of the greatest hero duos in DC history: Icon and Rocket!

Remember, Icon & Rocket Season One #1-#2 are both free-to-read for all registered DCUI users! Head over to DCUI to dive in, and come back to this thread from February 13 to February 24 for weekly discussion questions!

Icon & Rocket Season One #1 Discussion Questions
  1. What are your thoughts on Icon’s origin story? How do you feel it compares to other DC heroes?

2. Do you see connections between the Darkotaverse and our real-world experiences? If so, what are those connections?

3. What are your thoughts on how Rocket approaches crime-fighting? What do you think is her primary motivation?

4. How do you feel about the dynamic amongst Static, Hotstreak, and the other students at their school? Do these interactions and confrontations feel grounded to you?

5. What are Holocaust’s motivations? Do you think they are justified in a realistic setting?

Icon & Rocket Season One #2 Discussion Questions
  1. How do you feel about the residents of Rocket’s neighborhood refusing to give the media any details on her identity/appearance? Do you think heroes should always, sometimes, or never reveal their true identity?

2. What are your thoughts on the struggle between law enforcement and the actions that Icon & Rocket take to fight crime? Where is the line drawn between standing for justice and hurting people?

3. What other notable examples can you think of in DC Comics storyline where the citizens of a city/neighborhood are as strongly defensive of their city and heroes as they are on Page 18 (as shown on DCUI)?

4. What do you think about the sequence that takes place in Pages 19-24? What are the themes you picked up on?

5. At the end of Issue #2, what kind of heroes do you think Icon and Rocket are? How do their motivations and tactics differ from other DC heroes?

As always, the Official DC Community Book Club comes with some awesome digital perks! Grab your Official DC Book Club book marks and wallpapers below!

Desktop Wallpapers
Mobile Wallpapers
Bookmarks

See you all on February 13 for the start of the Official DC Community Icon & Rocket Book Club!

11 Likes

Looking forward to this one! And curious to see everyone’s takes on the reboot.

3 Likes

Awesome™:+1: really enjoyed reading this. Looking forward to do so again.

4 Likes

I’m absolutely stoked. Love this run and can’t wait for the sequel and the crossover between Hardware.

5 Likes

I am in!

I read this and thought, “February 13th…I have a couple of weeks before this starts” and then realized it was Monday!

Let’s do this! Will be fun to revisit these books with y’all.

3 Likes

Awesome! Glad you’re as excited as I am :smiley:

3 Likes

Hah, it snuck up on me too! See ya next week for the discussions :open_book:

4 Likes

Hey everyone,
New to the whole thing, but I am super pumped to talk comics with people and now I have a reason to read Icon and rocket season 1, I’ve been meaning to get around to it for a while.

7 Likes

Hey welcome @pac-man2112! Happy you’re here, and lookin forward to seeing you around. If you have any questions, dont hesitate to let me or the mods know!

3 Likes

Super excited to see book club getting back underway. I know we only actually skipped one month, but this is my favorite part of the DC community experience :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Happy to hear it! I love the book club as well because it allows me to experience different comics than I might usually read and the discussions are always fun :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m super excited too!

2 Likes

The first batch of discussion questions are now live!

5 Likes

I didn’t receive an email notif regarding this. Can anyone tell me what books were featured last? I just assumed the Book Club was no more.

2 Likes

Icon has a interesting origin. He is a immigrant, more so than even Martian Manhunter and Superman who are refugees. What we know of his past, he lived as a alien for a significant portion of his life before becoming to earth and living as a black man in the 1800s. I have always wanted MM to have the kind of life Icon had but so far DC comics left that part of his life void.

The Darkotaverse more so than even DC comics has always focused on race and people who are minorities in them and I like the way, even in 2023, Darkotaverse still feel relevant with protesters caught in the crossfire instead of gang violence becoming bang babies. That’s more relevant.

Rocket has always been a different kind of hero. Usually the kind of hero who was ambitious for her own good. She brings a lot of bravado to her and wants to make the world a better place with Icon. Even if she really doesn’t think to far a head of the consequences. She the one who motivated Icon to become a hero. Her approach to crime-fighting reminds me of Tim “Jace” Fox.

Honestly Static being a student with her seems convenient. Don’t hate it, but found they come from the same school kinda funny. There conversations are great though.

Not sure if Holocaust has any deeper motivation than being a thug and the self-proclaimed king of the bang-babies. Nor sure if it’s realistic but Holocaust has always been fascinating.

2 Likes

So sorry to hear you didn’t get an email about it!

We took January off, but the last Book Club we ran was in December–we read The Batman Adventures Holiday Special.

We’ll be running the Book Club every month this year, so keep an eye out!

2 Likes

Thank you! I figured it was that, but just wanted to make sure.

3 Likes

W1

• What are your thoughts on Icon’s origin story? How do you feel it compares to other DC heroes?

It’s interesting. A lot of similarities to many alien heroes but differences as well with his long life span and his choice to appear as a child to his what looks like earth parents.

• Do you see connections between the Darkotaverse and our real-world experiences? If so, what are those connections?

Yeah. Definitely how it takes a look at the many injustices many face today and use there stories to bring light to those issues that sadly don’t get to be told as often as they should.

• What are your thoughts on how Rocket approaches crime-fighting? What do you think is her primary motivation?

She wants to fix everything. She throws that weight on her shoulders and is ready to take it all on at once. It great for her and helps a lot but can sometimes lead to making things worse or not the best solutions. But overall it inspires many and help keep the things other heroes may overlook right there in front of them.

• How do you feel about the dynamic amongst Static, Hotstreak, and the other students at their school? Do these interactions and confrontations feel grounded to you?

They feel good. Like your standard super hero kid and villain bully thing. Makes the world feel more connected.

• What are Holocaust’s motivations? Do you think they are justified in a realistic setting?

I’m not sure what they are. I think in the end power. Power to fight for the bang bang babies but keep the reliant on him. I think it can be like that. Those with power trying to influence those young and misguided to believe in something that they just think gives them more power.

2 Likes

Did I read the wrong issues? I didn’t see Static, Hotstreak, or Holocaust in Icon and Rocket: Season one #s 1 or 2

3 Likes

Good call out! We accidentally pulled some pages from the wrong books (later in the run). Apologies for that–questions 4 and 5 don’t connect to Issues #1-#2.

2 Likes