The Official DC Book Club Returns: Icon & Rocket Season One!

This week’s discussion questions have been posted!

2 Likes

W2

1. How do you feel about the residents of Rocket’s neighborhood refusing to give the media any details on her identity/appearance? Do you think heroes should always, sometimes, or never reveal their true identity?

I think it’s nice they’re looking out for each other. As for which it ultimately depends. I do enjoy the secret ID and it sadly is getting used less and less theses days but I don’t hate them being ope as it does lead to some cool stories.

1. What are your thoughts on the struggle between law enforcement and the actions that Icon & Rocket take to fight crime? Where is the line drawn between standing for justice and hurting people?

It ultimately moves every situation. In the end you can only do what you think is right and hope it works out.

1. What other notable examples can you think of in DC Comics storyline where the citizens of a city/neighborhood are as strongly defensive of their city and heroes as they are on Page 18 (as shown on DCUI)?

Hmm I think there has been time the metropolis or Gotham have stood with bats and Supes. Can remember anything specific. :sweat_smile:

1. What do you think about the sequence that takes place in Pages 19-24? What are the themes you picked up on?

It was beautifully drawn and a great sequence show to very different people and sides in history. Showing the strength in a message as well as sometime good doesn’t win. Also how powerful fear and force can be.

1. At the end of Issue #2, what kind of heroes do you think Icon and Rocket are? How do their motivations and tactics differ from other DC heroes?

They are heroes that save those in need and can fight the villains like any other but they also directly look at the whole picture. The small crime. Global issues. Stuff that effect those that may be overlooked is what they try to do.

Week one

1. I feel like the origin of Icon is built on the very fertile foundation of “what if Superman had landed in _____?” which has been explored in many actual Superman stories set on alternate Earths. Since this comparison is unavoidable, there is a part of me that wishes that Icon wasn’t an immortal who had lived a full life on his home planet, so that we good have a better look at how being brought up as an enslaved person or even just as a black man in modern times would impact a character like Superman. However, Icon works better as a unique character inspired by the Man of Steel than he would as a derivative of him.
  2. I think the recent reboot of the Dakotaverse places a heavy enfaces on corruption and the people’s distrust of the police, which I know isn’t a problem unique to today, but is very much at the forefront of a lot of discussion about race and so feels very relevant.
  3. Calling MLKJ a superhero- just a straight-up superhero- in this world of gods and monsters feels very poignant. I think this speaks to an approach to heroism that we don’t get to see very often in superhero comics where violence isn’t even an unfortunate necessity in super-heroics. This interpretation of her philosophy is slightly undercut by her literal actions in the following issue, but I think the message is a good one nonetheless.
2 Likes