Official DC Book Club Holiday Edition: The Batman Adventures Holiday Special

The year is almost over, which means we’re very much deep into the holiday season. What better way to celebrate than to check out a holiday special? :eyes: :santa:

Starting TODAY through to next year, join us for one of the best holiday specials that DC has to offer with THE BATMAN ADVENTURES: HOLIDAY SPECIAL. This one-shot special features 5 yuletide short stories straight from the writers of the much loved The Batman Adventures TV show. Whether you like thrills, laughs or heartwarming moments, there’s bound to be a story for you!

The Batman Adventures: Holiday Special is free to read for all DCUI registered users ! Join us for this two-week book club discussion thread, as we get into the holiday spirit with some incredible short tales!

The Batman Adventures: Holiday Special Week 1 Discussion Questions
  1. What are you favorite holiday memories as a child?

2. What’s your take on the silly approach to storytelling in the Gotham universe?

3. If you were Batman, how would you celebrate the holidays?

4. What do you think is the main takeaway from the “White Christmas” storyline?

5. In the final pages of this issue, we see Jim Gordon and Batman have some coffee together. What do you think this symbolizes?

6. BONUS QUESTION: If you celebrate, what do you hope to open on Christmas morning?

The Batman Adventures: Holiday Special Week 2 Discussion Questions

As always, the Official DC Book Club comes with some awesome digital perks! Grab your Official DC Book Club book marks and wallpapers below!

Desktop Wallpapers

Mobile Wallpapers

Digital Bookmarks
8 Likes

Hey @Jitsu,
I’m so thrill to see Batman Adventures Holiday Special as part of the book club! :smiling_face_with_tear:
That really meant alot, anyway I’m ready to answer your questions…

1. That’s a hard one, probably wake up in the morning when I was little, to see Santa came leaving toys in a stocking, and opening presents, probably getting Transformers toys for Christmas in the 80s has to be my favorite.

2. Love it. Sometimes a series in a comic or shows need a good humor. When you watch like Star Trek series or Smallville, Sometimes a show need a good humor episode to lighten up the mood. Same with Comic series like JSA.

3. Try to watch It’s A Wonderful Life without having the Joker taking over the airwaves!

4. 27 years ago I lost a friend before Christmas, when I was 10 my Great Grandmother passaway 11 days before Christmas, I would say treasure the memories you have with people in your life, you never know what the future holds.

5. Love it, it shows Batman & Commissioner Gordon have a great friendship, they went through alot of up and down over the years, and hoping each year will be a good one for them.

6. I’m really happy what I have and feel bless, and DC related merchandise would be awesome. Any Legos would even be great as well!

And there you have it! :grinning: Have a great week!

5 Likes

Awesome™:+1:. Haven’t read this before but all for some BTAS holidays.

4 Likes

Week 1

1. Opening up trade paperbacks from my dad and falling asleep reading them in his big, squashy armchair.
  2. While I love a comic/movie/etc. that thoughtfully explores darker themes, I think any work (especially if it’s superhero related) that only takes itself super seriously kinda… sucks? There’s a lot of caveats I should probably be adding to that statement, but I’m not going to.
  3. I’d try to spend Christmas day in stately Wayne manner surrounded by my found family and enjoying Alfred’s wonderful cooking. I wouldn’t ignore the Bat-signal, if it shone, but Dec 25 would be a no patrol day.
  4. I think there’s a good lesson in stopping to consider other people’s motives. Batman could have just knocked Fries into the new year. Instead he asks him why he did it, and they’re able to end it peacefully.
  5. I think that this is Bruce’s way of humanizing himself in Gordon’s eyes. They lead very different lives and accomplish their shared goal in very different ways, but at the end of the day (year) they both grab a cup of coffee, something people drink to keep themselves going.
  6. I’m hoping that my dad was able to get his hands on a copy of the Shazam!: The Monster Society of Evil special edition collection.
3 Likes

Just going to tuck these onto the ODCBC mantle…

adds this month’s reading to his Favorites list

I’ll be back with my thoughts on the above and the DQs, but the above decor was a must to set the mood by.

2 Likes
  1. All of my favorite holiday memories involve visiting and spending time with family. I’m very grateful to have been able to do that.
  2. I like it! I tend to like reading more fun and “enjoyable” stories over super dark and gritty ones lately, so this was definitely my kind of comic.
  3. I think doing charity work and spending time with kids would be the best thing for Batman to do, unless the kids would be too scared to see him. :stuck_out_tongue:
  4. I liked “White Christmas” a lot. While I do often enjoy villains that are just pure evil, I think it’s more interesting to read when they’re humanized and given more depth like Mr. Freeze is in this story. And I really like seeing Batman show compassion and empathy for one of his villains.
  5. I think it just shows that they’re good partners, make a good team, and enjoy each others’ company, to a certain extent. Given that it’s New Year’s Eve, you could also take it that they don’t have anything more important to do.
  6. There’s not a whole lot I really want. I always like getting books and games, though. :slight_smile:
3 Likes

W1

• What are you favorite holiday memories as a child?

As a kid my brothers and I always went to our grandmas with our family for the holidays. It was always fun. Don’t do it much anymore as they moved to Florida a few years ago but was always a fun tradition at the time.

• What’s your take on the silly approach to storytelling in the Gotham universe?

It’s always fun. I feel many forget how silly and fun and goofy Gotham can be while still getting some great fun stories and character moments.

• If you were Batman, how would you celebrate the holidays?

With the batfamily. Making sure they all have a great day as we try to get everyone together for just one day at least with the crime fighting we’re doing. And maybe give Alfred the day off​:sweat_smile:.

• What do you think is the main takeaway from the “White Christmas” storyline?

Loss is always hard but the memories last forever and maybe a friend or acquaintance can make things better.

• In the final pages of this issue, we see Jim Gordon and Batman have some coffee together. What do you think this symbolizes?

Survival. To friends and crime fighters made it through another year and take the chance to breath and celebrate.

• BONUS QUESTION: If you celebrate, what do you hope to open on Christmas morning?

Not sure. Either way I know I’ll enjoy it.

3 Likes

Hey @Jitsu, I’ve made this Countdown gif for the New Year from The Batman Adventures Holiday Special, hope you like it, I try to make it go slow as possible. :grinning:
20221227_055854

4 Likes