The Obscurity of DC Club and the Justice League Book Club presents: METAMORPHO MADNESS!

Hello @ObscurityofDCClub, @JusticeLeagueBookClub, and everyone else in our community! Welcome to the first ever Obscurity of DC/Justice League Book Club crossover!

For the next month, we’ll be focusing on none other than…

METAMORPHO!

Age Suggestion: 12+

Number of Issues: 9

What to read:

Character description taken from dc.fandom.com: Metamorpho is an elemental superhero with the power to shape-shift his body into various forms, using the elements contained within the human body. He also possesses the power of virtual invulnerability in his inert state. Originally known as the archaeologist Rex Mason, exposure to the Orb of Ra in Egypt changed him into one of the mythical Metamorphae. Although Metamorpho’s powers allow him to fight against evil, they are also a curse in that he is trapped in this hideous form, unable even to die. He is primarily one of the Outsiders, but has also been a member of the Justice League of America, Doom Patrol, Justice League Europe, the Seven Soldiers of Victory and The Terrifics. Metamorpho was created by Bob Haney and Ramona Fradon. His first appearance was in The Brave and the Bold #57.

Now that that’s over with, here are some discussion questions:

1. Of the stories we’ve read, which is your favorite version of Metamorpho? Why?
  2. What did you like most Metamorpho (as a character)? What did you like the least? Explain.
  3. Why do you think the Orb of Ra constantly loses power?
  4. Why do you think Java hates Metamorpho?
  5. Metamorpho has obviously been changed significantly. How do you think he adapts to these changes?

Do you have an interest in exploring the unknown? Do you like discussing comics? Do you like pineapple on pizza? If so, The Obscurity of DC Club is the club for you! Join HERE if you’re interested!

Are you a fan of the Justice League? Do you enjoy comics? Why does the Justice League of America have the same abbreviation as the Justice League of Antarctica? Then the Justice League Book Club is the club for you! Click HERE to join!

6 Likes

As was said in Superman II, “This is going to be good!”

:superman_hv_4: :dc: :justice_league_book_club:

3 Likes

Just finished all the Legends of Tomorrow issues. Going to read the others in a bit.

2 Likes
  1. I really liked Legends of Tomorrow’s version best. Rex’s rivalry with Java and Stagg was better in it IMO. Also, in Legends of Tomorrow, we learn more about Rex than any of the other stories. Oh and we got to see his internal conflict, which I really enjoyed!
  2. My favorite thing about Metamorpho is the fact that he doesn’t want to be Metamorpho. Despite wanting to be normal, he still helps those who need him. The only thing I didn’t like about Metamorpho is how clueless he can be about his powers, especially in the JLA comic and the DC Presents comic. It doesn’t make sense that he wouldn’t know too much about the Periodic Table of Elements, if he’s literally the Element Man. Also, he’s an explorer, and, as far as I know, most explorers do a lot of research about what they’re trying to explore.
  3. I don’t think the Orb of Ra was losing power. I think it was giving it’s power to the main source so that Rex could use his powers to protect people.
  4. In DC Comics Presents, it says Java’s just jealous, but that doesn’t make sense since Sapphire and Rex don’t get together until after saving Daewon. I think Stagg just influenced Java a lot. He probably lied or blamed bad things on Rex, so Java would grow to resent him.
  5. I think he only adapts to the changes because he has Sapphire to help him. Sapphire teaches him how to keep his humanity and how to better his powers.
2 Likes

Be sure to check out the Metamorpho Madness Marathon that @Vroom and I have set up for tonight at 5pm PST/8pm EST.

3 Likes

Be sure to check out Metamorpho Madness Marathon Pt 2 that @Vroom and I have set up for this Sunday at 5pm PST/8pm EST.

3 Likes

Oooh, sounds like fun! May I attend? :wink:

3 Likes

what would happen if i said no lmfao

3 Likes

I’d cry and kick a pebble down the road…

So can I attend?

“Your name’s in the copy, Chief.”

Alright! I’mma bring some candy! :grin:

3 Likes
4 Likes

I love that tune.

:notes: “Met-a-mor-pho! Met-a-mor-pho!” :notes:

2 Likes

Right?! It’s so catchy!!!

2 Likes

'Tis!

BTW, The Music of DC Comics : Volume 2 (and its predecessor from 2010) are absolutely wonderful.

Back to Rex, I’m curious what that song was written for.

Was it something DC’s advertising department cooked-up in the '60s, so as to help get Metamorpho into the reading public’s brain?

Was it meant for an outside media project that never materialized?

Regardless, its a fun tune and is now smooshed into my mental sponge for at least the next few hours. :smile:

2 Likes

Didn’t know he could make copies of himself

Team up ld like to see more of

2 Likes

Yeah that was a surprise for me too! I really liked it though!

2 Likes