The Dark Underbelly of Comics: Dynamite Entertainment and Being Attacked by Comicsgaters

Why is it always the Green Lantern guys who turn out to be creeps, though?!

3 Likes

That is SO true…

2 Likes

I have never read GL: Rebirth or really any Green Lantern outside of a few issues or tie-ins. Today I put on some music and pulled up GL: Rebirth saw that name on the cover and hard noped it. I might read it in the future but after reading this thread earlier in the day that bad taste was still in my mouth.

4 Likes

The good news is that it is, and that’s why they’re so loud about it. I’ll link to a very not related article that just happens to come to mind whenever people like this come up, without comment…

But the bad news is that there’s a large group (you can see hints of them in this thread) who don’t agree, but are going to ignore the documented damage they cause to abstractly defend their rights, and they probably have friends who don’t bother to correct them when they spout that kind of nonsense. They’re not as bad, but they give them space to breathe, which is almost as bad.

You’ll note that it’s only a special kind of person who can be “cancelled.” You can’t cancel me, because I’m a nobody. Running someone like Gail Simone out of the industry wouldn’t be canceling her, because the people who throw the term around don’t see her as belonging. What they mean is losing an audience they feel entitled to access, and try to confuse it with Twitter trying to get the wrong person fired to cover their own idiocy.

I can’t help but notice that they all angrily work on projects that restore the 1960s vision of white-guy Hal Jordan as the bestest-ever Green Lantern among many working in a hierarchical, sometimes-fascist-adjacent organization, where they’re ordered to do things to “preserve order” without explanation and no room for question. It might not be a coincidence…

5 Likes

Let it rest and go back. Bad people can do great things. GL: Rebirth is among the best things to come out of DC since Rebirth imo.

3 Likes

That’s the kind of sad thing about Ethan Van Sciver – he still is a brilliant artist, and from the sound of it, while he was always more to the right than most folks in the industry, he was friendly and had a good working relationship with the likes of Gail Simone in the past. But something happened to him at some point that just twisted him up to a hateful figure.

6 Likes

Eh. Eddie Berganza was mostly Superman, yeah? See, creeps spread the love.

1 Like

Thank you very much! And I’m so sorry for the recent vitriol you’ve experienced. Not to sound juvenile, but that kind of behavior grosses me out.

5 Likes

And Gerard Jones is probably still a great writer, but…

He was the editor of Blackest Night.

2 Likes
4 Likes

I’ll echo that it’s sad to find Ethan Van Sciver associated with these guys. Still a great artist, but difficult to see his work now and not be reminded I’m supporting a garbage person if I buy a book he works on.

5 Likes

If I look at all the writers and artists of comics that I have only discovered in the last 5 years or so, Mark Russell is easily the brightest star in the sky, and I don’t think I am alone in that assessment. While cutting ties certainly is a disappointment for Russell, I’d argue it is a much bigger blow to Dynamite. It is certainly not the “career suicide” Ethan Van Sciver suggests it is. That notion seems so nonsensical, I can’t tell if he believes it or if he is just trolling.

Hearing about this tough decision that Russell has made is certainly causing me to re-evaluate my own position. In an earlier post in this thread, I was perfectly fine with Dynamite publishing niche comics for the weirdo corner of comics fandom that is Comicsgate, but perhaps that was just a quick-trigger opinion. Perhaps I should have looked into this a little more. Mark Russell certainly has.

5 Likes

This is a genuine question. If you believe that comicsgate is a hate group then how you do you explain the fact that they associate, collaborate, and promote those you claim they hate?

2 Likes

You can “support” women and still be sexist. You can be married to a girl and still be sexist. You can “support” BlackLivesMatter and still be racist. Comicsgate was created out of a goal to harass women (see the article I posted in the initial post), and has an audience that wants comics like Cash Grab which are vile, racist, homophobic, and sexist.

4 Likes

So very sorry to hear that you were subjected to so much vitriol, Nathan. It’s disheartening to see how quickly that many people can go after someone for voicing an opinion they disagree with. Thanks for educating me about this comic, though. I had overheard some people looking for it at my local comic shop and now I know that it definitely isn’t something I’d be interested in reading or buying.

2 Likes

So they are hateful enough to start a group to try to keep certain people out of their hobby but not hateful enough to keep them out of their group, be friendly with them, encourage and promote or work with them. That’s… interesting.

What about all the minorites that are a part of the group? Do you believe they hate themselves?

How do you know this book are the things you say they are if it has not be released? Do you have access to it’s script or unfinished pages?

Also even if these things are true what is difference between what seems to a loose affiliation of people and any other comic book companies? Do you believe these companies are free of people you believe to be immoral? If not why support those companies?

2 Likes

Hopefully this is the wake-up call for Dynamite and they clean up their act a bit.

3 Likes

No matter the situation within the group, they act as internet trolls who harass anyone they deem unworthy. That’s enough to disregard them imo. Also, the multiple pages of Cash Grab on the internet is enough for me to know if is, at the very least, stupid and not funny.

3 Likes

The book seems no worse than something that would be on Adult Swim.

Comicsgate seems to be a group of people just doing their own comics, however there are some bad eggs. What large group of people doesn’t have a few jerks in it?

3 Likes

Bigoted groups are often smart enough to realize that it benefits them to promote any member of the groups they hate if that member holds views that even vaguely align with their own. If you’re a self-professed feminist who thinks that 21st century feminism has gone too far, misogynists will publicly applaud you because they know that you’re a useful tool toward their long-term end goal. Plug in any member of a racial or ethnic minority who seems to “know their place in society” with the corresponding hate group, and the same will often be true. Recently, it’s been especially common for transphobes to exalt the voices of relatively privileged and “reasonable” trans people to drown out the voices of trans activists. It’s a very, very common tactic.

6 Likes