[Superman Fan Club] Y1 Reading 21 April 17 2021 Ladies Night Out!

[Superman Fan Club] and Supes Fans at large, welcome to another rationing of the rare rare rare digitized Silver and Bronze Age tales of Superman featuring Lois and Jimmy and a host of special guest stars including Batgirl!

Featuring: Action #333 (1966), Adventure Comics #278 (released 11/1960) DC Comics Presents #19 (1980), SUPERMAN’S PAL, JIMMY OLSEN (1954-) #133, SUPERMAN’S GIRL FRIEND LOIS LANE (1958-1973) #9

Feel free to pick and choose what you like from the selection below this time around, or indulge by reading all five the next two weeks!!!

To join the [Superman Fan Club] (and enjoy the chic benefits of membership), click here: Click Here to Join the Superman Fan Club

To stop by the Superman Fan Club Lounge Area , click here: Club Lounge Room Entrance

And be sure keep an eye out for our every other week Listen A Longs of the classic 1940’s Superman Radio Show adventures (in the Watchalong aisle).

ACTION COMICS (1938-) #333 (released February 1966) Action 333 Click Here “SUPERMAN’S SUPER-BOO-BOOS!” Lex Luthor devises an evil scheme that will leave Superman looking foolish and dangerous in the eyes of the American people!

Adventure Comics #278 (released 11/1960) DC UNIVERSE INFINITE Supergirl flies to Superboy’s time to see if she can protect her identity and prove to Superman she’s ready to be revealed to the world. Wow, just…wow. Supergirl, how about we have you sit it out in the Phantom Zone for maybe 1,000 years to reflect on using time travel for wildly selfish stuff if you pull a stunt like this again, hmmm young lady??? Tsk. Again, TTSSK!

If you want to read the other stories in this issue, dig in for those as well!

DC Comics Presents #19 (released 3/80) DC Comics Presents 19 Click Here Superman and Batgirl, the Team-Up You’ve Been Demanding (it says so right on the cover)!
Could this have been the secret origin of the Court of Owls?

SUPERMAN’S PAL, JIMMY OLSEN (1954-) #133 (released October 1955) Jimmy Olsen 133 Click to View Yup, time to jump aboard the very first issue of the Jack Kirby DC 70’s Crazy Train! You’ve never ever seen anything like this stuff before or since!! The very beginning of what would be the New Gods saga!

Oh, no Kirby here that we know of, maybe in the next panel over though lol…

SUPERMAN’S GIRL FRIEND LOIS LANE (1958-1973) #9 (released April 1959) Lois Lane #9 Click Here! “THE MOST HATED GIRL IN METROPOLIS.” When a story that Lois had written and subsequently discarded is found by the Daily Planet copyboy and published, everyone believes Lois has deliberately revealed Superman’s secret identity.

About time I say, after all the times Golden and Silver Age Lois has been so very wicked towards Clark and Superman as a reporter , here here!!!

Also, Crooners last month with Jimmy, crooners appear again here for Lois Lane this month (actually 4 and a half years had rolled by between the Jimmy issue of last month’s reading and this Lois issue #9).

Please consider sampling some or all of these classic Silver and Bronze Age wares, and let us know your thoughts! Feel free always to post favorite panels / scenes etc from these exciting, entertaining and imaginative tales.

Up Up and Away!!!

5 Likes

Man I really need to catch up on this club. :sob:

I will say that I did read the first issue of Jimmy Olsen here because after the sad cancelling of the New Gods movie I was reminded that I really needed to fix that blind spot and finally read that Jack Kirby New Gods saga. It’s definitely a fun start, with a vibe that while still rather zany and over the top like other Silver Age-y fare, it has a harder, action focused edge to it that makes it stick out even more than Superman’s books at the time.

3 Likes

I’m pretty sure Jack Kirby’s brain was on fire at that time, both as a writer and an artist.

It’s like I feel like every two pages is a new innovation.

3 Likes

So, watching the Bucks game and reading comics that I’d give a look at Lois. Silly fun as always but the art really caught my attention. In the first story it looks like DC had someone come in after the story was done and redo all the faces.

Or is it just me

1 Like

Hard to say for sure, but they did redo Jack Kirby’s faces when he first came over in the early 70s.

1 Like

I’m still trying to wrap my mind around those giant pockets on her dress… and Jimmy’s purple hair before it was the style.

1 Like

I did notice the pockets

1 Like

My cargo pants obviously need an upgrade

1 Like

That reworked faces really went nuts in the Pat Boone story.

Also that looks like a Mac computer on that key chain

1 Like

Yeah I admit the faces look especially unique.

I actually have a piece of original comic book artwork that shows what they do to edit faces etc. When I get a chance later I’ll take some photos and post it. It’s a little startling what they can do before they apply the final inks and color.

2 Likes

Cool. My guess here is that they didn’t like the way Pat turned out, so they had another artist rework every face in the book.

In some of the panels I will post soon I had this one picked out as well. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

I think “like” is an understatement Clark. :joy:

2 Likes

Well hello there Superman Fan Club. :wave: :sunglasses:

Reading through all the fun reading this week sure did feel like this… :cloud: :superman_hv_3:

Superboy’s scheme’s to also get kids to not be adopted, but only himself… :man_facepalming:

Other Action Comics #333 Thoughts

Nice to also see Lex use the phone a “friend” option. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Speaking of faces… :clark_hv_5:

This was also an interesting effect of Red Kryptonite, as all effects of Red Kryptonite seem to have on our Super family. :joy: :00_supergirl: :superman:

Also… Good boy Krypto! :ttns_gif_krypto:

Other Adventure Comics #278 Thoughts

Nice to also see Supergirl get some quality bonding time with Ma and Pa. :older_woman: :older_man:

Time to grab the salt. :salt: :ghost:

I’m also not sure I get the comparison either Batgirl. :00_batgirl: :sweat_smile:

It will also be a sad day in the future Clark when Morgan Edge takes over The Daily Planet. :fearful:

Other Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen #133 Thoughts

Also, excellent tactics! :grin: :+1:

This was also a cool way seeing Superman use his heat vision like this. :fire:

Wish I also had one of these. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

And nice to know when this was introduced as I wondered about Habitat while reading through the Death of Superman story line. :thinking: :open_mouth:

Poor Lois and her story on Clark being Superman coming back to haunt her again. :pensive:

I was also reading this book and the second part to its story not too long before diving into this week’s reading which was fun reading about previous adventures that also included dinosaurs. :clark_hv_4:

Other Superman's Girlfriend Lois Lane #9 Thoughts

I believe you Lois! :cry:

Interesting seeing Superman did this once before and it worked. :thinking:

And Superman twirling him around to remember who he was… Brilliant! :joy:

Egg-cellent use of your vison Superman! :rofl:

Uh oh Jimmy. Perry is going to tell you now you need two dozen hands. :sweat_smile:

I also thought there was something about those lyrics, and wouldn’t mind figuring out the sort of Pat Boone tune that could carry it. :musical_score: :sunglasses: :+1:

1 Like

Admittedly the more recent dinosaurs with Superman and his son storyline was a little more rational then some of these fun tales from the 50s and early 60s, lol.

I’m still trying to figure out that bracelet …I suppose we should do a web search for the Pat Boone fan bracelet …they had a Bible and what looks like a TV, and some shoes… wow just wow.

1 Like

And Superman deliberately using amnesiacs oh boy oh boy

1 Like

Ah, it just occurred to me that maybe in that particular book a page could have been left out showing Lois and Clark traveling through a time barrier. :thinking:

Or maybe it was just having read Supergirl traveling through a time barrier as well that made me think of it… So in conclusion for these mysteries… One partially solved! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: :superman_hv_4:

Or at least how I’d explain it to make sense. :joy:

We like the way you think @ajm08g

You are now the official first trainee for the club!!!

Jimmy Olsen has always led a life like no other, the Adventures of Superman radio show (wait til you hear what he’s up to next month there), his own comic book series of the 1950s, 1960s and even into the 70s…like exhibit A here:

1 Like

What kind of orphanage are we running here anyway? A couple show up, maybe adopt a kid, maybe not, what the heck they’ll just take who’s every available. Superboy here is down right rotten little turd. Destroying those orphans chance at a happy family. But, then again this is an orphanage where kids have private rooms and can afford jewels and doll collections. I really thought Superboy was going to turn out to be from the Phantom Zone himself.
Poor Supes, he’s been driven mad by Lex.

1 Like

Yeah that’s one hard-hitting Action Comic cover to cover.

Maybe the moral of the imaginary Supergirl story is, " hey kids, if you were born the middle child instead of the last you would have been evil tooooo!

1 Like