Superboy (Conner Kent/Kon-El) Appreciation Thread

In space yeah, with this “punk” look yeah thst works, back on earth it’s not my favorite name for him, but we shall see what they do with him

3 Likes

Yeah the 90s series was my favorite, but I read it in real time back then, and that’s what got me to walk into my LCS every month. I did like geoffs take in him though, and yes I’m a person who actually can wrap the 1st kon with the 2nd Conner into the same character pretty flawlessly.

Supernova goes really well with his punk look, which is not my preferred look for him. I would rather he go full on no cape no tights, and have him wear the black ad red S on a black or blue tshirt with a pair of cargo pants with combat boots, then add the leather jacket, fingerless gloves, and even the glasses to it, best of both worlds, and all his fans will recognize him and feel he is their character.

I hate that they draw him so small, hate it, he is a big kid, he was created to “look” like a exact copy of superman, not lex, so he should be a bigger guy. Clark is 6’3" 230ish, kon should be getting there also.

TTK was his 1sr and only power for his 1st 10 years of life, sins of youth, black zero, titans of tomorrow were all adult versions of him, and they all had TK powers, the fact that they ignore it completely and only let him have the standard kryptonian powerset is pretty much BS to me, and I can’t stand it personally. They should have him out in space over his head and needing to pull his TK out finally, and show him not exaclty doing great with it, but showing that it is immensely powerful still.

It’s crazy how some characters close to him don’t have memories of him, even when they still accept him. That could work for Cassie, she was his 1st time, his love, but say she doesn’t remember, that would kill him a Lil, but leave him open to try to rekindle their love or find a brand new one, maybe with someone who also feels like a outsider and better in space like miss Martian lol

2 Likes

It’s been ages since I read the original series, I remember him being physically 16, or so. I feel like his 5’10’’-ish appearance is fine. Keep in mind, Clark, as a teen, looked pretty “scrawny.” Kon was the first Superboy we had gotten in about ten years, and they based a lot of his design in old Superboy stuff.

1 Like

Well yeah I liked when he came out he was around 14 /15 and was a good kid size then. Now I see him at atleast 18 to 21 now and he should be bigger for sure.

Unless they freeze his aging again duh duh duh lol. Btw it happened 1st in the comics, not in the YJ show, they got the idea from the comics

3 Likes

I have no idea how old he is now, but he’s definitely closer to his beginning age according to the Bendis reintroduction. I’m guessing under 18, but definitely over 14. There’s nothing definitive with a Google search.

2 Likes

Before the 10 pages we have of the man of tomorrow mini and the preview pages from dark crisis YJ, he has been drawn older looking than he was right out of the cloning tube. Now if they want to change it up to make him younger to keep him a super BOY forever or atleast longer I can see that, but definitely older for sure

2 Likes

I always assumed he was about Tim’s age. 16ish.

2 Likes

Is Tim 16 now?

I assumed Conner right before Flashpoint was 17-18,and now I would say 18-19,but DC is gonna be DC, dick and wally moved forward enough for them, no other characters need to do thst anymore

3 Likes

The last time I saw Tim’s age mentioned was back in Red Robin. He was 17. I don’t know if that holds. He’s likely either 16 or 17. I imagine that Kon is the same age because of Tim’s age.

2 Likes

Yeah, I’m pretty sure Tim is 16 right now. I feel like I read a comic semi-recently where he said he was 16.

As for Kon, I’m a big Kon fan! I read Young Justice as a Tim and Bart fan and became a Kon fan along the way. I haven’t read his solo series from that time period yet. But I plan to.

2 Likes

Of the YJ4 it was kon and Cassie the same age, Tim a year younger and Bart a year younger than thst. Who else here has read that?

2 Likes

What is everyone’s opinion on TTK?

3 Likes

odin-fernandez-moreno-fx6

1 Like

I’m a big fan of Kon’s TTK, though its very underused

4 Likes

The Peter David series? I read that, but my memory doesn’t work in such a way to recall how old everyone was in it. I can’t remember specifics on ages except for the mention Tim was 17 back in Red Robin, which was at least ten years ago.

1 Like

Underused is a understatement. DC has basically buried his power, and only 2 reasons I can think of would be the reasons, 1 being thst they think the kryptonian powerset is easier to translate and have ppl understand for Synergy outside the comics or in,and 2 because he looks like a badass using it, and they can’t have him upstage every other Super he is around

3 Likes

Yep, and even when they deaged everyone for the new 52, it has been stated kon was not a part of that, so he should be as old as he was at the end of his series right before Flashpoint, and maybe older depending on how time moves on gem world

2 Likes

Just because he’s a genetic “copy” doesn’t mean he’s going to be 6’3” and 230 lbs like Clark. But he isn’t technically a clone, right? In reality, cloning doesn’t involve two people. That’s not cloning, it’s splicing (molecular cloning). Technically, being of mixed DNA, he’s more of a “child” of Kal and Lex. I like to add science to the fiction, don’t you? It’s fun. According to the FDA “a clone, however, only has one parent and has exactly the same DNA as that parent. But even so, a clone isn’t a perfect copy.”

Real science might make it easier to accept his smaller stature? :man_shrugging: It does for me anyway.

He’s like a giant GMO. I think of it as a tomato plant. Each fruit is genetically identical, but no two are the same.

2 Likes

In the beginning SB was created to be identical to superman, which means they made a human clone (with powers) look like superman. Geoff never retconned that.

Binary meaning from 2 different donors

Hybrid meaning from 2 different species

Clone, meaning just the process the binary hybrid was made in

2 Likes

My memory is very wonky. I was thinking originally they couldn’t get Kryptonian DNA, Project Cadmus made a human as close to one as possible. Cadmus discovered Superman was surrounded by a self-telekinesis aura that gave him some of his powers. They turned this into the tactile telekinesis power Kon uses. It’s been so long since I read Reign of Superman, I was operating under the assumption that he wasn’t a Superman clone until he was retconned by Johns. I’m gonna have to read all this stuff again. Funny how it gets mixed up after thirty years. :laughing:

2 Likes