Superboy (Conner Kent/Kon-El) Appreciation Thread

Y’all are lifesavers. Thank you! :pray:

Can’t wait to get my Kon on later!

3 Likes

Yes, I’d definitely like to see him move forward.

Here’s a question, though: if he moves forward under a new ID, what should it be? What’s Conner’s Nightwing-esque evolution?

3 Likes

You mean your K-on

HA!

3 Likes

:corn: :cheese:

2 Likes

You like putting cheese on popcorn? That’s a combo I’ve never heard before…

1 Like

I actually used to dip popcorn into nacho cheese as a teen. We had a cheese dispenser in the cafeteria. That tasty stuff like the used to have in movie theaters.

1 Like

Wonder if Kon ever tried that? He seems like he would try any food combos thrown his way.

1 Like

It’s actually a sad truth. My adoptive family was from Deep South. I’ve eaten… things I’m not sure I can list based on community guidelines.

2 Likes

lmfao!

1 Like

Tom Grummett is absolutely the man and STILL the Kon-El art champion of the world.

Yes, he’s been around so long he once had a corded phone.

5 Likes

Well you start with stuff thst should change like drawing him and dressing him either to young or to punk, as you can see his orignal look wasn’t “punk”,but you don’t just put a tshirt on him and thsts it either. You take from both and make it a more age appropriate, and “cool” not punk look.
You also don’t have him stuck only using one side of his powerset. Yes it’s cool to have kryptonian powers, but he has TTK, which can stay TTK or grow into what we seek during sins of youth or titans of tomorrow storylines when he was older, or Smallville season 11 and the new 52 when he is younger.
Why have lex as a DNA donor if he isnt ever used with Kon?
For names, maybe kon-el as a public name, or I’ve heard Scion, and there are more I can think up

4 Likes

And a massive rear projection tv.

1 Like

I had a TV just like that years ago too lol

2 Likes

Remember how stretched out and terrible the image looked? Man!

1 Like

Yep, but just like TVs have changed and only gotten better, our favorite comic characters need to do the same. What ways wpuld be good for Conner to change or improve moving forward in your, and everyone else’s opinions?

2 Likes

Don’t forget to vote!

1 Like

I mean, he’s currently limited to appearing in Action Comics. Expanding on the character would first mean seeing him in more. Maybe give him a miniseries. Maybe put him on a team with an ongoing title. They definitely need to explore his intelligence seeing as how he essentially has Lex’s brainpower.

2 Likes

I wont lie I have been hyping up the name supernova since i saw a tumblr post on it awhile ago it just sticks with me idk
especially now since hes going space to be a Superman for either a different planet or just space i think it fits

4 Likes

I love Kon!<3 I’ll admit I haven’t read a ton of his first solo run, and I’m probably weird as far as fans go since his post-resurrection stuff before the new52 hit is really my favorite. I just love that period of growth for him, seeing him become more grounded and comfortable with himself and starting to cultivate family and community in Smallville after repeatedly being used when he was new to the world and being pretty untethered for a while… I’m the rare person who actually prefers his t-shirt costume haha, Francis Manapul’s art of him in Adventure Comics 2009 was immaculate.

Anyway, I agree with @supercupcakez about Supernova as a name! I’d be okay with something else, but that’s one of the only suggestions I’ve seen for him that I actually like lol. I would love to see him get a new costume, too… the punk look doesn’t make any sense for him, and it makes me sad that so many artists now draw him even smaller and scrawnier than he was when he had the leather jacket in the 90s… He’s a clone of Superman, and it’s not like Lex Luthor is a small guy either! So a new costume that actually makes sense (I’m fine if they want him to keep the jacket, but I’d prefer that he ditch the spikes and put a new outfit under it; let the man move on with his life!), appropriate stature, and a new name would all be great! And seeing him develop his TTK more would be so cool, I love that power of his and I think he could be kind of amazingly terrifying (in a good way) if they let him actually use it again. I want a training montage!

I’m also really excited for what they do with him in the miniseries, I’m kind of hoping that we’ll get to see him grapple a bit with the grief of having lost an entire world? I admit I haven’t read every recent appearance of his, but I don’t feel like that’s been addressed much? Like, to emerge into a new world where you never existed and see that everyone you love is still doing just dandy, and in some cases even better than they were before? Ouch… I think that would be way more interesting than just a “who am I” arc when his 2010 solo was kind of all about him figuring that out. Imo him using the space road trip as an excuse to get some space (ha) from having to act like everything is normal for these new versions of everyone he loved and eventually coming to terms with moving on in this new world would be really gratifying to see, and him going back to earth at the end of it more ready to carve out his own space and establish himself as an important part of this world, too… I would love that!

2 Likes

The round Robin mini series will help with getting him back on track, and steering him in the right direction for sure.

And for the luthor brains, that should be a given, even if they have never used it or explored it, which is dumb. On the Titans show he has epigentic memory and has all lex and Clark’s memories,and I love thst new spin on him (even though the new 52 superboy did it 1st),thry need to bring this into the comics

3 Likes