Super Spectacular Christmas - Modern Age Superman Club Style!

It's the most wonderful time of the year! Why not celebrate it with the most wonderful hero of all time!

It’s a six-issue digital stocking packed full of Christmas-themed Superman goodness! :hugs:

:superman: Check out our picks and vote in the poll.
:superman: Tell us what you thought of the issue in this thread!
:superman: Know of other great holiday themed Superman comics post-Crisis (1985-now)?

:pear:

The New Adventures of Superboy #39

Summary

When Bash Bashford gets cynical about Christmas, Superboy takes him to an alternate Earth where there is no Christmas! :scream:

Credits
Writer(s) Penciler(s) Inker(s) Cover Artist
Paul Kupperberg, Bob Rozakis, and E. Nelson Bridwell Kurt Schaffenberger and Howard Bender Joe Giella and Kurt Schaffenberger Gil Kane
Have you read it yet?
  • Of course I did!
  • I’m getting there, don’t rush me!
  • Bah-humbug!

0 voters

:dove: :dove:

Christmas with the Super-Heroes #1

Summary

Multiple stories including:

• :batman: in “Wanted: Santa Claus - Dead of Alive!”
  • :00_justice_league3: in “The Man Who Murdered Santa Claus!”
  • :00_teen_titans: in “The TT’s Swingin’ Christmas Carol!”
  • :00_legion: in “Star Light, Star Bright…”
  • :superman: in “Twas the Fright Before Christmas!”
  • :batman: in “The Silent Night of the Batman”
Credits
Paul Levitz, Len Wein, Dennis O’Neil, Bob Haney, Eric Shanower, June Brigman, Mike Friedrich, E. Nelson Bridwell, and Elizabeth Hand Neal Adams, Curt Swan, Dick Dillin, Frank Miller, Nick Cardy, Eric Shanower, andJosé L. García López Ty Templeton, Dick Giordano, Murphy Anderson, Nick Cardy, Eric Shanower, and Steve Mitchell John Byrne
So what did you think?
  • I feel all cheery inside!
  • It’s on my list!
  • I don’t need holiday cheer.

0 voters

:chicken: :chicken: :chicken:

Christmas with the Super-Heroes #2

Summary

Multiple stories including:

• :superman: in “Ex-Machina”
  • :batman: in “And in the Depths”
  • :00_wonder_woman_1982: in “Gifts”
  • “Silent Night”
  • :theflash: and :00_lc_green_lantern: in “Roll Call”
  • Deadman in “Should Auld Acquaintance Be Forgot”
Credits
John Byrne, Alan Brennert, Dave Gibbons, Eric Shanower, Paul Chadwick, William Messner-Loebs Dick Giordano, John Byrne, Eric Shanower, Paul Chadwick, Colleen Doran, Gray Morrow Ty Templeton, Dick Giordano, John Nyberg, Adam Kubert, Eric Shanower, Gray Morrow Stephen DeStefano, Larry Mahlstedt
Did you get to issue 2?
  • Well I couldn’t stop with 1!
  • Let me get back to you when I finish!
  • Krampus doesn’t read comics.

0 voters

:bird: :bird: :bird: :bird:

The Adventures of Superman #487

Summary

Supported by the mysterious “Sons of Liberty,” Pete Ross is elected to Congress. Meanwhile, Jimmy Olsen and Bibbo try to bring a little holiday cheer to the poor children of Metropolis.

Credits
Jerry Ordway Tom Grummett Doug Hazlewood Jerry Ordway, Bill Oakley, and Dennis Janke
Well, what did you think?
  • I’m ready to go caroling!
  • You had me at Jimmy, this is top priority!
  • I only get coal for Christmas and I like it!

0 voters

:ring: :ring: :ring: :ring: :ring:

Superman For All Seasons #4

Summary

Book Four: Winter! The final chapter in the critically acclaimed Superman epic by Jeph Loeb and Tim Sale takes the Man of Steel back to where it all began–his hometown of Smallville–for a reunion with his childhood sweetheart Lana Lang.

Credits
Writer(s) Penciler/Inker/Cover Artist
Jeph Loeb Tim Sale
Are you cold yet?
  • So cold, yet somehow warm and fuzzy!
  • This is a Superman classic! I have to read it!
  • Your heart growing 3x larger is a medical condition.

0 voters

:hatching_chick: :hatching_chick: :hatching_chick: :hatching_chick: :hatching_chick: :hatching_chick:

Superman: Endless Winter Special #1

Summary

“Endless Winter” chapter three! Superman finds himself at the center of an epic battle as the Frost King’s hordes of ice monsters come to life. Is this frozen onslaught too much for the Man of Steel, or can he stop it before it rampages across the chilling wasteland the world is becoming and reaches civilization? The answer to this question comes from an unlikely source close to Clark Kent’s earthly roots!

Credits
Andy Lanning & Ron Marz Phil Hester & Marco Santucci Ande Parks & Marco Santucci Francis Manapul
Does this count as a Christmas story?
  • Of course! Didn’t you read it too?
  • It’s not just about snow? Guess I should check it out!
  • I prefer Endless Summer.

0 voters

We hope you enjoyed these holiday themed comics!
Merry Christmas from the Modern Age Superman Club!

331cbccac97bede2e583544c2c013226

Bonus poll!

Did you get the emojis?
  • I see what you did there!
  • Shouldn’t the rings be gold?
  • One light goes out, they all go out!!!

0 voters

3 Likes

@Jurisdiction you’ve gotta read Superman for all Seasons! :scream:

4 Likes

With a poll I look like a Scrooge!:laughing: I was Scrooge78 last year for a while.

3 Likes

Well looks like you better get reading then! :joy: Don’t worry, we’ll turn you into Cindy-LouWho78 in no time! :rofl:

3 Likes

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

3 Likes

:joy: :joy:

As Seamus McFly said in Back to the Future part III, “That was good!”

2 Likes

M’kay, so my fav reads of this batch were Christmas with the Super-Heroes #s 1 and 2.

When I had them in print, it was a two for $1 deal I snagged at one of my previous comic stores years and years ago. I’d never seen those books before, so I thought “For a buck, why not?” and took them home. They were great, and are books I like to check in with every Christmas. :hugs:

Also, The Adventures of Superman #487 is a perennial Christmas favorite of mine. Not just because its from one of my all-time fav Superman ongoings, but it (like CWTSH) perfectly encapsulates the holiday season with a wonderful :superman:uper flair as well.

Everybody: This was @Bar-El’s first post as Co-Owner of the @ModernAgeSupermanClub, so be sure to give her a big hand in crafting a great Christmas special worthy of The Man of Steel!

:superman_hv_3: :clap:t2:

2 Likes

Aw thanks @Vroom!

I’ve got to say finding Superman holiday stories was more difficult than I had anticipated! Ex-Machina is one I’ve seen on Reddit or something but I didn’t know it was part of a larger holiday special! Great picks @Vroom!

I’m actually not very familiar with Superman comics, having only read the most recommended stories so far. This has been a fun challenge and I’m learning so much about this era in Superman comics! I’m looking forward to what we have in store for you all in 2022!

1 Like

Adventures 487 was superb!

3 Likes

Agreed! And beautifully drawn by Tom Grummett!

3 Likes

One of my favorites!

3 Likes

He’s a new one for me but I was immediately taken by how he draws that cape!

1 Like

I decided to add the covers because they’re so dang cool!

2 Likes

I just realized that Christmas With the Super-Heroes is the first comic I ever bought with my own money. It would’ve been around the time I was six.

2 Likes

Aw! That’s really sweet! Do you still have it? I think my first comic was probably something random from a thrift store or comic shop until I discovered Superman/Batman in our grocery store’s magazine rack with my friend!

2 Likes

@Kon-El-Prime Good to see you in a MASC topic, m’man (and in general)! :hugs:

Likewise. I love his run on Adventures.

My first comics were the entirety of this series, via the Batman cereal’s mail-in promotion of the title in 1990. I still have those comics, along with all of my other childhood DC books.

2 Likes

Sorry I am so slow to respond these days. Wish there was application notifications. My grandpa is dying. My mom is dying. My dog ate my homework.

2 Likes

No prob, Bob. Its always worth the wait. :superman_hv_4:

There are. Do you not have them turned on (I’m guessing that’s the case)?

If you go under Preferences, you’ll find how to set your notifications.

:pleading_face: I’m sorry. Anything we (the community) can do to help in any way?

Well, Smuckers just worked his way out of a box of Beggin’ Strips, didn’t he? :joy:

2 Likes

I didn’t know notifications existed! Thanks, guy!

2 Likes

Yep. Had those on. I need like a chime or vibration on the iPad. I need the poke to remind me to check in when so much is happening.

2 Likes