Super Spectacular Christmas - Modern Age Superman Club Style!

Now you know, and…

“Yooooo Joe!”

You’re welcome, buddy!

2 Likes

Like what Lana? A bird? A plane?

1 Like

NEW ADVENTURES OF SUPERBOY #39

What if we lived on an Earth where Christmas was just another day? Everyone wearing masks, armed mobs roaming the streets, small towns empty and falling apart and people have quit caring about each other. Maybe they just travelled to 2021?

Solid Dial H for HERO chapter as well

ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN #487

Tom Grummett is awesome, one of my all time favorites.
We’re in the middle of the “Triangle Era” where there is a Superman comic coming out every week and the stories all fit together. The previous week’s Superman #64 may be my favorite Christmas comic. The large supporting cast and “breather” issues in between the big events are hallmarks of the age. Merry Christmas Pete Ross, you’ve just been selected as the new Senator from Kansas.

SUPERMAN FOR ALL SEASONS #4

Just read the entire mini series.

SUPERMAN ENDLESS WINTER SPECIAL #1

A nine part series that would have been better off as four or five.

CHRISTMAS WITH THE SUPER HEROES #1 and #2

Yes Virginia, DC Special #21 from 1979 is the first time Frank Miller ever drew Batman.

This is the first time John Stewart meets the JLA since Hal missed the case due to falling in the tub. A great tale from Len Wein. Red tornado even gets a new costume as a present from Black Canary.

Mumblin’ Mantas? Work on it Garth. Moaning Mackerel isn’t it either. Yes this is a tale only Bob Haney could conceive.

The Legion drawn by the immortal Jose Luis Garcia Lopez. Outstanding!

my comments on the Superman story are in another club this month

This Batman story came out about a week before I was born. It is an absolute classic as drawn by the great Neal Adams.

While issue #1 is all reprints, issue #2 is new stories.

If you like inspirational Superman tales with no violence then this Paul Chadwick opener is for you.

I wish Gray Morrow did a lot more comics, his art is amazing. Interesting tale from the Batcave’s point of view.

Eric Shanower is another great artist I wish we got to see more of. This tale fits perfectly into the George Perez era of Wonder Woman.

That’s about as great an introduction to the world of Enemy Ace as you are going to find. And not a single word was uttered.

Colleen Doran, the artist hit parade continues.

Kara sniff you were missed. But we got you back, big time.

2 Likes

Loving your evaluations @CaptainYesterday! What was your favorite one?

1 Like

Christmas with the Super-Heroes #1

2 Likes

I love those! And a fun way to get a bunch of stories in one book!

1 Like

oh ho! There is a Bronze Age story here, what do you know.

2 Likes

When is the Bronze Age? I feel like I always overlook that one.

1 Like

The Modern Age Superman starts with the crisis on infinite Earths in 1986

2 Likes

Bronze Age is pretty much 1970 to just before crisis early 1986

2 Likes

When are we going to be in anything other than the modern age? Or do we retroactively name past ages? How dis work?

1 Like

There are other schemes to all this, like:

Platinum Age (1897-1937), Golden Age (1938-1947), Atomic Age (1948-1955), Silver Age (1956-1969), Bronze Age (1970-1984), Dark or Copper Age (1985-1991), Extreme Age (1992-1998), Movie Age (1998 – present)

But even then it’s interesting that whatever the current age is, its continued for many many years.

2 Likes

:exploding_head: ok I’ll just stick with the Modern Age lump :joy:

2 Likes