Shazam! Fury of the Gods: Official Discussion Thread (SPOILERS)

I think there are a few reasons.

People are saving limited money for the other movies in the March blood bath at the movies. It is being beaten by PG, PG-13 and R Movies.

For China I think they are protesting not getting Black Adam.

Terrible trailers.

I do not think non-DC Super Fans cared much for the first film.

From my time talking to children about comics I think adults are much more interested in Shazam and there are many movies for them at this time.

4 Likes

This was definitely an interesting read:

Me being me, of course Annabelle was the first thing I noticed!

Also:

During the family meeting, Billy riffs off the idea of Wonder Woman having a secret identity. He describes her working in an office, wearing her hair in a ponytail, and donning glasses.

I actually interpreted this as a slight at Clark Kent too … minus the ponytail. Unless he wants one.

5 Likes

I think that is about Diana Prince, since that is what she looked like in Lydia Carter’s show.

3 Likes

It was!

4 Likes

Okay, I know the whole point of easter eggs is that you typically don’t notice them, but I REALLY DIDN’T NOTICE THIS :sob:

As Shazam fights a giant dragon, he’s cheered on by a citizen who says, “You’re the best, Captain Marvel!” This bystander is portrayed by Michael Gray, the actor who played Billy Batson in the 1974 Shazam television series. He’s even wearing the same outfit his version of Billy used to wear! Gray might have been off the mark by using the name Captain Marvel, but in fairness, that was Shazam’s superhero name for decades.

4 Likes

I caught the Captain Marvel namedrop but not the cameo, that’s awesome!!!

3 Likes

I freaking loved this movie!!! I especially loved the scenes between Billy and his mom.

4 Likes

ME. TOO. :pleading_face:

I teared up a bit when he finally called her Mom. I love how much she cares about him too — it’s what he deserves following the events of the first movie with his birth mother.

4 Likes

More proof to add to the mountain of evidence that I just don’t get people. I loved this movie.

6 Likes

Exactly!

2 Likes

Audiences are very small but seem happy. Critics do not like it. Supposedly the movie is generic, and critics hate that, because they have to see every movie. That would explain this movie not being their cup of tea.

3 Likes

The answer is always this: Stay for the entirety of the credits, regardless of what kind of movie it is and whether its part of a genre known for mid and/or post-credit scenes or not.

You can listen to music from the movie, quietly talk about the flick with whoever you saw it with (or compose your thoughts to yourself silently if you saw the movie on your own).

For those who are familiar with folks in the movie industry, its always fun to watch the credits and see if any names you know worked on the movie in question.

There’s value in staying for the credits, regardless if there’s a forthcoming scene playing amongst them or not.

Sunshine State, Golden State. I was close-enough in most respects. :wink:

3 Likes

Sometimes you have to pee at the end of the movie, and it is never hard finding the details of the post credits scene online (or catching it on youtube when the film comes to home media).

3 Likes

This is true, which is why I’m always amazed at the people who get up and never come back, once the credits begin.

They do know of the Internet and how it can inform them of cool stuff to check out in the credits, I hope.

If you’re in the theater already, then catch it on the big screen, as seeing something theatrically always beats out YouTube.

2 Likes

Tell that to my bladder. I had to pee almost the entire runtime of Black Adam, and I was not risking it.

2 Likes

That’s why you leak a take before the movie, Skip. :wink:

4 Likes

It is nothing compared to having to pee in the middle of a fight.

3 Likes

Not to brag, but when I was a projectionist and screened movies before they opened, I would call up to Projection and ask them to pause the movie for 5 minutes when nature called.

Upon completion of said call, I’d radio to Projection to resume playing the movie.

Working in a movie theater most definitely did have its benefits.

3 Likes

I have not seen the movie yet, but I keep hearing the skittles product placement is abysmal. It makes me want to see this spectacular badness.

2 Likes

It isn’t. Not anywhere remotely close to abysmal.

If Skittles of all things are what some in the wider Internet pastures will piss and moan about with regards to the movie, then the following is true:

:white_check_mark: A. Some people are simply looking for something to complain about, rather than wanting to enjoy the movie and focus on its positives, which are ample.

:white_check_mark: B. Skittles are only in two scenes (both involving Darla) as I remember.

SN: Has anyone mentioned Tawny? Because they were in the movie.

4 Likes