Shazam! Fury of the Gods: Official Discussion Thread (SPOILERS)

Yeah, it is indeed a very long way away from making a profit, which I don’t think it will.

1 Like

I was against the idea of “Big, but with superpowers” as the operative core concept for the movie back in 2007 when John August was announced as the writer and basically said that that was what their approach was going to be for the character. I disagreed and felt it was a mistake to go that route back then.

Alas…

3 Likes

It has no chance of making that much. Now it is just fighting to at least be smaller bomb than Green Lantern.

1 Like

I am finally going to see the movie this week. I feel so behind.

6 Likes

Variety reports it comes to HBO Max on May 23rd.

1 Like

Well, it’ll be just MAX now

2 Likes

Just checked Rotten Tomatoes. Critics are down to 49. Audiences are at 86.

On metacritc it has a 47 from critics and a 5.4 from audiences.

1 Like

I thought this movie was great! To me it was almost as good as the first one. I saw it in the theater, and it was definitely worth it! The, “Taste the rainbow mo-” was so awkward yet funny at the same time! The guy sitting behind me started snoring five minutes into the movie(and kept going the whole time) was pretty annoying though.

5 Likes

Sorry about my brother.

4 Likes

That’s awesome (minus the snoozer)! I’m glad you enjoyed it!

Darla was definitely laying down some pretty great lines :laughing:

4 Likes

I thought it was fun.

4 Likes

I absolutely enjoyed the movie, and the first as well. All the actors and actresses did a fantastic job.

The Wonder Woman cameo was fun, and the family aspect of the entire movie was nice as well.

I hope the entire cast gets to come back , for two more movies of SHAZAM, that would be rad.

5 Likes

By general rule of thumb this is what it has kept so far

Dom- 28,802,140

China- 1,500,000

International- 27,760,000

Total of 58,062,140. Most likely that does even match the Marketing budget.

2 Likes

It is available for buying on Vudu, and will be available to rent on May 23rd.

3 Likes

As an aside, apparently the movie is one of the more popular pirated movies ATM. I’m still unclear, given that DISCO has given up on the prioritizing streaming revenue above all strategy of the previous regime, why they didn’t license any of the recent non-HBO/non-HBO Max exclusive movies like Super Pets, Black Adam or Fury of the Gods in markets where Max is not a thing that is readily available, even if it was just for say a month or three months of licensed legal watching. I mean, for goddess sake, apparently there are still places in Europe where you cannot legally get HBO Max, much less places where DC content is in high demand, like Latin America and parts of Asia that do not yet have, legally, access to HBO Max, and HBO only via cable.

Can you give a source for this?

Everybody but Netflix is doing that.

Just checked on it at Wal-Mart. After opening it is given the prime spot over Creed and Ant-Man 3. Creed 3 is not selling well. Shazam and Ant-Man are nearly sold out.

Watched this in the theater when it came out and thought it was just ok.

Watched it again yesterday when it debuted on MAX and thought it was good. Funny moments, good heart and some good action sequences. One thing DC always gets right are the costumes and the special effects and this movie is no exception. It looks fantastic.

Tons of easter eggs for us to pour over as well. I think I’m going to go get the Blu-Ray to add it to my collection.

3 Likes

I kind of wish I saw this in theaters to just pad the box office numbers, but I had a lot going on this month so I never made it. I watched it on Max last night and really liked it!

Just to get the negatives out of the way, this film had problems. In fact, I think it had similar problems to Wonder Woman 1984: 1) There was a whole lot going on. 2) Even still, it leaned far too much on its predecessor to carry the plot points that it wasn’t taking enough time to properly develop. The main conflict with the Daughters of Atlas, in particular, could’ve been much better fleshed out. Considering they cast Helen Mirren and Lucy Liu in those parts, they really should have done more with it. Billy’s character arc was there, but leaned on ground that had already been well-covered in the first film. A lot was swallowed up in how busy the film was and with all the characters. It feels like DC hasn’t really learned from its past sequels in this regard.

All that being said, I kind of didn’t care about any of the above. I still had a lot of fun with this movie. I like the characters and the world they built in the first film enough that I was willing to just go on this whacky trip with them and take it as it was. I laughed, I enjoyed the action sequences, and I loved the more sophisticated touches that popped up here and there (like the plasma globe that exploded in his room foreshadowing the final battle in the baseball stadium). I also got a Gal Gadot Wonder Woman cameo. This was just a fun movie. I don’t think it quite deserves the reputation its Rotten Tomatoes score and Box Office numbers will give it.

6 Likes

I thought it was well-executed, and the major problems were ALL foreseeable at the outline stage:

1. Billy Batson and Shazam are totally different personalities
  2. the kids were underdogs you were rooting for in the first film, and in no way underdogs this time out
  3. adding a dragon does not change #2
  4. people don’t want to see a whole family of supermen any more than they want to see Lois and Jimmy with super-powers in their Superman movies

But Zack Levi is a funny guy and spending a couple hours with this character is always going to be a pretty good time. And they amped up the special effects impressively between Shazam one and Shazam two.

2 Likes