Shazam! Fury of the Gods: Official Discussion Thread (SPOILERS)

Risky for Bruce to say “no one else did” when he’s in a room that is 75% empty

2 Likes

I know Zachary Levi has had issues watching his mouth lately, but the comment sections are now crucifying him for everything he says.

2 Likes

I Hear the New Shazam Movie is Spectacular!
From the Movie Trailers That I Saw, I Think the New Shazam Movie is Great!
I’m Surprised That When I Talk Too People They Don’t Know That There Is A New Shazam Movie Out!

3 Likes

There is a report Asger Angel liked a tweet criticizing Levi’s performance. He liked s retweet saying that. The source tweet was praising Asher’s performance. It is just as likely that is what he was liking.

“The Captain” is much better.
Otherwise, Black Adam said “Shazam” in his film, so why wouldn’t his character be named Shazam too?

Good chance it comes on this Friday.

1 Like

3 weekends in Domestic is at 53,477,985. Still lower than the first film’s opening weekend.

China is at 6,000,000.

International is at 60,400,000.

It gets to keep then 26,738,992.5 dom.

1,500,000 for China

24,160,000 internationally.

That is 52,398,992.5 total.

1 Like

Adam isn’t really trying to have a secret identity, at least not in most of the situations I’ve seen him. Going by the he’s 1000s of years old bit and that he doesn’t like the wizard, I can see him opting for an iteration of his own name.

3 Likes

He wmstarted as Mighty Adam. That is basically his name

1 Like

This meme illustrates my biggest problem with the movie.

2 Likes

So… I did go to the movie theater and watched the first 20 minutes of the movie or so and walked out. Not because I didn’t like it; I had a family emergency that I needed to leave for. Since then, I’ve seen all the negativity towards the movie and its box office haul, but I’ve kept an open mind about it. I bought it on iTunes today and watched it with my daughter. Loved. Every. Moment. It’s action packed, funny, has some great heartfelt moments, and excellent production values. Definitely a better time for me than the first one. The critical reception and box office are too bad, because I think it is truly a much much better movie than they indicate.

8 Likes

Oh man, hope everything’s alright! Sorry to hear you weren’t able to stay — but I’m really glad you enjoyed it!

I also really liked the humor of the second movie. I was laughing at something every few minutes. Plus the actors all did an amazing job, especially Darla. Every time I saw her on screen my heart just soared.

5 Likes

Thank you. It was a couple weeks ago. All sorted out and everyone is ok.

Agree. My daughter & I were laughing frequently. She liked it so much, she just put up the first one. We’re (re)watching it as I type this :slightly_smiling_face:.

5 Likes

Sandberg is discussing deleted scenes and production in great detail on twitter while answering questions.

1 Like

Blu-Ray and DVD release date is May 23rd.

2 Likes

I’m getting real sick of the homophobia regarding Pedro

4 Likes

Same, but I can never get sick of my man Pedro. He has the coolest design after all.

2 Likes

Same. It drives me nuts.

3 Likes

I noticed it’s been either #1 or #2 on iTunes since it popped up on the service, which is good, but I am disappointed it’s not in theaters. It left my neighborhood Regal last week. I have to hang around tomorrow for a delivery (the vendor takes Saturdays off, but delivers on Sunday if you can imagine it) in the AM but was thinking of catching a movie this weekend and since we saw Honor Amongst Thieves earlier in the week, and I’ll be doing this by myself, I had thought I might see the movie again, I actually missed the second credit stinger in a theater and I wouldn’t mind seeing Jaime’s trailer in a big theater either.

I personally do agree the marketing wasn’t as strong. Dwayne has an ego but he does have a social following so that helped promote the Black Adam family, but no one on this movie had that kind of following and the promotion seemed very light. And the comics were even softer as well. We got those four Justice Society Files - which were spread out in release - for BA but nothing for this, other than the Shadzam Family special but that came out right at the same time, which was pretty useless. They also don’t seem to use HBO Max very much for promotion or their own TV shows, especially the Discovery crap.

Agreed, I was surprised I teared up at two moments towards the end, probably one was not the one that some people expected - although I do also agree with the criticism that some of the beats were very similar to the first film and this was unnecessary and something else was called for.

3 Likes

The film finally made its production budget in box office grosses. It is still possible it will be a worse gross-budget percentage than Green Lantern.