🦅 Peacemaker S1 Discussion Thread 🦅

Did anyone else love-hate this? :joy: :joy:

5 Likes

I didn’t even notice that :laughing:

5 Likes

I couldn’t stop staring at it in the background of the classroom :skull:

5 Likes

I thought this was really cool. James Gunn talked on Twitter about the inspiration for the piano scene:

I just noticed from this that Gunn said “parents,” as in plural. We’ve seen a lot of Chris’s father, but we really haven’t heard anything about his mom, at least that I can remember. I wonder if that will be something mentioned at some point.

7 Likes

wow the butterfly taking over the body scene was cruel, really sad to see how it ended especially him trying to save/help Sophie. I was really hoping Sophie would get to punch peacemaker’s dad in the face for all his BS
waller had it all planned, not surprising but sad still
so still no idea what is going on with the butterflies

6 Likes

I hadn’t heard this song before but it is beautiful. Perfect underscore for this whole scene.

4 Likes

Loved the latest episode, but one big question.

She had the diary from the beginning. How did it have info about the canning center and the woman they killed in the first episode in it? Doesn’t make any sense to me.

Besides that, I loved everything about this episode. The whole final montage with the butterflies and the father preparing for war was beautiful. It’s really gearing up for the finale, I didn’t realize this was only an 8 episode season.

I hope the father gets what he deserves. And I am pleasantly surprised by the character development for Peacemaker. And I am enjoying Vigilante a lot.

3 Likes

I think she put that info in there. She put it back as Waller’s plan to blame all the random death on him after the mission was done.

4 Likes

It’s also possible that the police just added all the details about the canning center and the political assassination as part of their plot to frame Peacemaker and crew to take them down.

4 Likes

But then what was the point of the dairy in the first place? I’m sure this will be explained more in the next episode or two, but right now it just doesn’t make sense to me.

4 Likes

That could also be true

2 Likes

I think the point was to screw over Peacemaker and get him arrested again after he finished his mission with the Butterflies – if he survived. After all, arresting him would put him back in Belle Reeve and Waller could use him as an asset for her Suicide Squad again.

4 Likes

You know I just had a thought, it is unlikely but for Gunn and this wacky show not impossible.

What if by the end everyone gets infected with Butterflies, and them dancing so weirdly and without emotion in the opening credits was foreshadowing. I hope not, as I love these characters and want more. But for this show I could almost see that being a surprise ending.

7 Likes

This show is a riot.

6 Likes

To all the trolls dissing Gunn on the Harcourt casting stuff it, She’s perfect for this, regardless of her relationship to Gunn.

5 Likes

I had a theory about the butterflies which has probably been blown out of the water at this point, but I’ll post it here for posterity:

I came up with this theory after the first two episodes. We didn’t know much about the butterflies at that point. I suspected they were some kind of alien either masquerading as humans or controlling their bodies. Then there was the strange object that Peacemaker took from Annie Sturphausen’s apartment. That object turned out to be a tiny spaceship. It was the tiny spaceship that made pointed me in the direction of: Mister Mind.

Mister Mind, for those who don’t know, is a classic Shazam villain. He’s an alien who kind of resembles a caterpillar and is known for flying around in a tiny spaceship.
Mister Mind
From All-Star Squadron #53.

Mister Mind also wields the power of mind control, and at least one version of him did this by climbing into a person’s head through their ear canal.
Mister Mind Kingdom Come
From Kingdom Come #3.

Since Mister Mind looks like a caterpillar, it would kind of make sense to call the people he controls “butterflies.” This would be especially chilling if he was using them as a sort of cocoon. Finally, Mister Mind did break out of the Rock of Eternity and was roaming about the earth at the end of the Shazam movie. I was really sure this was what was going on after episode two and was even kicking myself for not making the connection sooner.

However, it seems that this is not to be. It looks like the butterflies are really just an alien race of intelligent, body-burrowing butterflies. To be fair, it probably makes sense to save Mister Mind for the Shazam sequel. Also, Mister Mind is generally referred to as a “worm” and not a caterpillar.

Still, I am disappointed that this is not what’s going on because the connection IS RIGHT THERE. IT’S RIGHT THERE, JAMES! It would’ve given an actual villain showdown to Peacemaker who, as it has been well-established, does not have a coterie of supervillains. Oh well…

Anyway, just throwing this out there to prove I had some thought and evidence behind my failed theory.

3 Likes

I definitely get the connection, but I figure Mr. Mind was already taken by David Sandberg for Fury of the Gods or another Shazam movie, so even if Gunn wanted to use him, the character was probably unavailable

4 Likes

Perhaps the are the evolved members of Mr. Mind’s species?

3 Likes

Maaaaybe…? At this point, I’m resigned to thinking they’re just something new from Mr. Gunn’s noggin.

3 Likes

That would have been cool, and while there are rumored connections between this show and other Shazam-related properties, I kind of doubt it.

I think if we’re going to get any relation to other DC properties, it will probably be The Reach, but I think it’s also likely at this point that they’re just a random alien race created for the show.

4 Likes