OFFICE HOURS: Ask DC Universe Your Questions Every (UPDATED) TUESDAY Night!

(Sorry for all these late posts, my phone died while we were watching TV…)

Somewhere between Dark Shadows and Stephen King, it apparently became acceptable that “you can make any crazy supernatural thing you want real, so long as you set it in Maine.” I first noticed it when I was a kid and a very short-lived sitcom appeared called “Struck by Lightning,” which had a guy inherit an old mansion up here only to find that he was descended from Victor Frankenstein and the caretaker was the original monster… played by Jack Elam. Throw in OUAT, Haven (admittedly based on King’s work), and the ghosts that Nancy Drew is facing on the CW and it starts to form a trend…

And so far as celebrity contacts go, I know the person who photographed Brandon Routh and Courtney Ford’s wedding. And if we’re counting paid-for contacts, I met Weird Al in a post-concert one-on-one.

6 Likes

Fall Guys is a blast. Wish I had more time to play. The last of us 2 was great. Definitely emotionally exhausting (at least for me).

4 Likes

I emailed the rewards email last week and didn’t get a reply. I got two replies from the support two weeks ago confirming they got my email but haven’t heard anything since. Haven’t tried the bottom unless that’s the same as support

4 Likes

Yep, they were Gold Key. They did some anthologies a while back that are no longer in print and judging from eBay, the are serous $$.

4 Likes

:rofl::rofl::rofl: cuz it’s true. Although it might be argued that it was more a general New England thing, when you throw H.P. Lovecraft into the historical mix.

4 Likes

@Applejack thank you. Sure you’re tired of that question. You have the patience of a saint! Here’s hoping we’re all still around here to benefit from your awesomeness! :crossed_fingers:t2:

4 Likes

LOL, honestly I feel asleep just a few minutes into the Office Hours stuff… So here is what is making me sleepy currently… Maddie Wilbanks. She is a toy poodle with lots of energy and puppy teeth.

9 Likes

First, I’m really sorry I missed last night’s festivities and couldn’t welcome back our fearless (and rested) leader! I hope the vacay was okay!

I do need to stress how amazing Dark Shadows is, @Applejack! Please give it a try. :purple_heart: The original, not the revival. Yes it’s daily soap, yes, it’s over 1200 episodes, yes it’s super old and of dubious quality. BUT IT IS SO GOOD!

It is on Tubi but also Amazon Prime, if you have it. Knox’s link is actually to start the Barnabas era, with Episode 210, but you absolutely need to start at the beginning with Episode 1: Watch Dark Shadows: The Beginning - Free TV Shows | Tubi

Now, Tubi has ads but it’s free. Everyone can enjoy the magic and love that is Dark Shadows. But if you do have Prime, it’s also there ad-free. The episode count might scare you, but the episodes fly by quickly. If you’re curious, watch the first 20 episodes, which amounts to just two days in in-show time. By this time you should be fully invested in the curious case of the foundling Victoria Winters, the dashing Burke Devlin, and the weird Collins family, and the rest of the loons! No vampires (yet!) but so so beautifully spooky, creepy, and fun!

Honestly, if you give it time, and can forgive the roughness of the videotaped one-take live-play format with flubs and all, this could surely become one of your favorite shows of all time. It is mine :blush:

Not to spoil too much, but also don’t think of it as an old daytime soap. Think of it as a genre-mashing artifact out of time, generously bestowed upon us by the Goddess as a respite from the Covid. I mean, in what other soap do you have vampires, werewolves, ghosts, time travel, alternate timelines, and so much more!

A side note of trivia, but I believe it’s one of the few soaps that has all of its episodes preserved, even though at the time they all assumed it would only be seen once. There is one episode that is missing but has most of the original audio still.

Also, even though it went on for four years and 1200+ episodes, in show time it just covered about a year and three months: Timeline | The Dark Shadows Wiki | Fandom And still it was epic and grandiose and I love it so much and I hope everyone watches it! EVERYONE!!!

7 Likes

Thanks for responding! And no problem on the delay, it’s my fault for asking the day after the next Office Hours :stuck_out_tongue: Also, thank you for keeping the big screen options in mind over there!

4 Likes

Kind Captain! I hope these discussions could also have a little wiggle room for DCSHG comics? Maybe?

7 Likes

@Applejack
THIS!!! @Mae put it much more eloquent than I could. It is freaking awesome. While it was of the format of a serialized daily soap, it transcends the soap opera format. Never been something like it before or after.

If you are at all into the “paranormal” (vampires, werewolves, ghosts, time travel, alternate timelines, etc) you owe it to yourself to watch it.

Last time I watched it was from the The Complete OrIginal Series DVD collection. (One of my most prized possessions)

6 Likes

Not at all, and thank you :slight_smile: I’m very grateful for it.

Yes, I downloaded the update in late August, and it’s been like that ever since. Is no one else experiencing this problem on mobile devices??? @everyone

3 Likes

According to Boardwalk Empire, you’d be very wrong! :joy:

4 Likes

@Applejack- Right?! This track is just. sooo. good. And it just matches Barb’s energy level perfectly. Luv it!

5 Likes

Oh and since I missed last night’s OH and didn’t share my customary tush-moving selection, I’m dropping this here for our intrepid @Applejack and fabulous @Razzzcat and all the rest of you wonderful peeps!

6 Likes

I LOVE her!!!

4 Likes

IRL, I mean. To people not connected.

Was he on that show? I haven’t seen it, but isn’t it about the Atlantic Boardwalk? Weird that Capone would be in it. Guess he flew in?

4 Likes

Thanks. We do too. She is starting to “mostly” sleep through the night now…

5 Likes

@Mae, one drawback of “Dark Shadows” is that it doesn’t answer the question it kind of started with concerning Victoria Winters

@Applejack, did you know about the ability of some people to get HBOMAX through their regular HBO depending on provider? If so, would getting HBO for that work with giftcards?

4 Likes

Now would be the perfect time to add a l live stream here. I understand moving the on demand and originals. However, I see huge potential in the live stream. Commercial revenue on shows already owned. Something special to set the app apart from others. I don’t see HBO Max running a live stream. Being that it would have commercials, it would not cut into HBO Max subscription because of the lack of ads there. Do I need to come over there and throw my weight around to get this going? Seriously though, I’d love a chance to discuss with someone in charge because I would love to explain what a missed opportunity not doing the live stream is…

2 Likes