OFFICE HOURS: Ask DC Universe Your Questions Every (UPDATED) TUESDAY Night!

Indeed Captain. What a night of fun and insight as always in Office Hours. Glad you are back! :superman_hv_4:

Now to…

Or…

Till next time everyone! :sunglasses: :+1:

6 Likes

Okay, here’s Applejack’s homework: https://tubitv.com/series/4638/dark_shadows

Dark Shadows streaming!

7 Likes

The only other thing I’ve got is that my neighbor was Lady Antebellum’s mom’s college roommate. :thinking:

5 Likes

Dear @applejack,

I know!

xL&DPx

8 Likes

Sweet!

Al Capone gave my friend’s grandpa a ride home a time or two. (Actually true from what I understand!)

6 Likes

That actually sounds like a pretty fun ride

5 Likes

Oh, and my mother in law knew Dean Cain’s father! Cain wasn’t actually their last name, though.

5 Likes

The closest celebrity thing I have is that I talked a bit with Lou Ferrigno when I was going to a con and realized that I got there an hour before the doors actually opened.

6 Likes

Ha! I saw him, but couldn’t afford to buy a pic.

5 Likes

I kinda imagine he was a guy who was nice and respectful until he really, really wasn’t!

5 Likes

As long as you don’t cross him. :eyes::ok_hand: I wonder if he likes biscuits…

5 Likes

I see you @AlexanderKnox :eyes: :joy:
Capitana, you’ve done excellent work here, as always. Plz enjoy. Have a great night. Take care everyone. :purple_heart:

8 Likes

From the grave, I’m betting zombie biscuits…

5 Likes

Thanks as always, AJ. Truly appreciate it. Glad you had a good vacation, but also glad you’re back. :hugs:

4 Likes

I think any of the vampire series since 1970 draw some influence from Dark Shadows. It’s been off the air for nearly 50 years, sometimes I not sure they know it directly. But it’s kinda like The Adventures of Superman, every Superman series, from Lois & Clark, Smallville, STAS, and the other Superman animated series, and even Supergirl have some ancestoral DNA with the George Reeves series.

7 Likes

The story of Barnabas Collins is really amusing in the sense of he was a “WTF, lets give the kids a vampire for the summer since we are going to be cancelled.” But, there was something special about that character that propelled the series from cancellation to several more years.

It’s like Superman or Batman, we’re they just characters that were so good they impacted and sent shockwaves through the genre? Or maybe they were just in the right place at the right time and their influence just steamrolled. If Superman and/or Batman came out a few years earlier or later, would they have gone by the cultural wayside as so many of their contemporaries did.

Barnabas Collins is much the same.

I know you can’t speak to Barnabas Collins, but as a DC fan, what do you think of how Superman (or Batman or both) impacted?

I will confess my view is pthat both Superman and Batman were just the right combination of character ingredients at the right time.
I feel the same way about Barnabas Collins as well. As a character, right place, right time and something just clicked with what the culture wanted/needed.

6 Likes

Am I the only one who remembers that Sunny originally had a dad in the commercials? Or am I remembering that like I remember Sinbad’s Shazzam movie and Luke missing the throw twice?

3 Likes

@Applejack, any idea when HBOMAX might be available on Roku or should I try it get it from Xfinity and HBO?

3 Likes

Those were Gold Key, were they not? What little digging I’ve done (on Wikipedia FWIW) leads me to believe that Gold Key is now part of NBC Universal by way of Dreamworks. I have wondered that because I occasionally obsess over the idea that DC should work to bring more truly young kids into the habit of reading comics periodicals (sometimes called “floppies,” which I hate because I’m in IT and the word has the air of obsolescence around it), and that one way to do that would be to do something similar to what they’re doing with the Wal-Mart Giants, but use the Looney Tunes and Hanna-Barbara characters “straight,” and maybe the old Gold Key licensed 4-color masters still exist somewhere to be reprinted.

5 Likes

No, I was thinking that there were originally three planned new DC Universe Originals announced: DCYou Unscripted, BizarroTV, and one other. But now I went back at the news from that time and it was, in fact, only those two, plus Season 2 of HQ and an imminent date for Stargirl. (Of course, I don’t think it escaped anyone that, even before COVID, the new shows being planned did not seem to be anywhere near the scale of Titans, Doom Patrol, Swamp Thing or Stargirl.)

4 Likes