OFFICE HOURS: Ask DC Universe Your Questions Every (UPDATED) TUESDAY Night!

Will we one day see 4K live-action movies on the service?

Given that DCU currently has 4K UHD live action and animated TV shows, along with animated direct to video content (and is the only platform to feature most of that content in 4K), the lack of live-action movies in the format is a slightly noticeable omission in our video catalog. 4K is more and more the industry standard in many ways, and our live-action movie catalog would be all the better for showcasing films available in the format.

I’m certain the entirety of the 4K DC live-action catalog is being reserved for HBO Max, however it would be Ultra-spiffy and of a High Dynamic Range to be able to catch at least some of that 4K greatness on DCU as well.

Thank you.

Signed,

A home video nerd. :film_strip: :nerd_face:

2 Likes

Sorry to change the subject dear Lady AJ , But this won’t keep. Plus, I didn’t want to be another late entry like last week. So embarrassing.

Anyway, I beg your forgiveness, as this is directed at one of your staffers. A man I have lorded time and again, for his selfless and detailed dedication to his craft. One Joshua Lapin-Bertone . Yet now, because of a recent article on the after-hour hangouts of the DCU , it was my sad duty to discover, he is a " mere mortal," after all.

I could be wrong about this (it wouldn’t be the first time), and yet everything points to an error in his piece. As well written as it always is, an obvious omission from his listings, stands out. Unless of course, Neil Gaiman’s Lucifer is no longer considered part of the DCU . Since I kinda’ doubt that, I figure I’m on safe ground here. Those of us who’ve followed Lucy ’s exploits over Mike Carey ’s 75 issue run, as well as 3 seasons of live action on FOX , before going over to Netflix , are (he stops to take a breath), well acquainted with LUX!

LUX , ahhh, the stories it would tell, if it could talk. One of them being, how it feels to be overlooked for considerably lesser establishments !. You hit us with Noonan’s Bar (run by a demon , for cryin’ out loud!) And yet you by-passed, the Devil ’s own. Tsk, tsk, for shame.

Wait a minute, I know. You deliberately left it out, didn’t you? Saving it as part of a stand alone piece on Lucifer , that’s in the works. Am I right? Am I right?

Reading this was a roller coaster on my heart. I was like “Oh man, did I make a continuity error.” Glad you liked the article, minnus the omission, Wright. You’re correct…I am a mere mortal, or at least that’s what my friends keep on reminding me. Constantly…on like an hourly basis. Sometimes they wake me up in the middle of the night to tell me. But I need the reminders or I’d go off the rails…

Anyway…

Whenever there’s a piece like this decisions have to be made regarding regarding what gets spotlighted and what doesn’t. Sometimes it comes down to things like “is there enough material on here to link out” and “how long do I want this piece to do…deadline is approaching.” In those cases I make a decision over what I’ll include. Occasionally the editor or associate editor will shoot me a message to say “Hey what about X” but for the most part I’m given freedom.
To take you behind the scenes, sometimes it means hard decisions. When I did the Superman/Lois shipper list for Valentine’s Day there were some GREAT Bronze Age stories I wanted to include, but they weren’t on the service and it broke my heart not to include them.

When something like that happens, someone’s favorite is going to be left out, and sadly the Lux didn’t make the cut. I’d love to lie to you and say “it was too demonic to include on the pub crawl for the safety of others” but the truth is, it came down to space and the amount of stuff that could be linked out…and time.

I mean this in all sincerity (despite the fun I had earlier in this response) but I’m sorry for not including your favorite locale. Perhaps there’s another way I could show some Lucifer love on the news section.

5 Likes

And now a question for Applejack…

“How can you read this? There’s no pictures”

3 Likes

Hi Applejack! Hope all is going well at DCU, and hopefully you get some work at home time. What do you think the chances are of us getting some extra movies or other content in the wake of the virus keeping many of us home? Thanks as always!

2 Likes

Are there plans afoot for a binge watch edition of DC All-Stars: The breakfast league. It is short enough and the style of show that would really lend itself to a binge watch edition.

I’d I’ll put in that HQ animated has been such a success that a binge watch edition long before season 3 (if that happens) is also really needed. Puhleeeeez!!!

3 Likes

(This was re: the Victor & Nora GN by the folks who did Catwoman’s)… I’ll be honest, the ending of the Free Comic Book Day preview for the Catwoman book turned me off from ever buying it.

1 Like

Ugh, I feel stupid now. :woman_facepalming:

BxrN3

Remember last week? Simpler times…

4 Likes

Working from home both sucks and blows, am I right, Applejack? That said, PJs 24/7 is a plus!

2 Likes

Oh and a quick little tune from Mae’s Massive Music Machine. We’re all gonna be alright, folks, like Caitlyn says, just need to stay home as much as possible and practice increased hygiene!

1 Like

What’s also suck is being sick 2 days before your Birthday and hoping not to get the virus, I haven’t been myself today, that’s why I didn’t post today. :face_with_thermometer::sneezing_face::mask:

1 Like

Sorry to hear that, @Reaganfan78! Hope you get better soon and it’s nothing serious! Get lots of rest and liquids!

2 Likes

Thankyou.

2 Likes

Hey, everybody :wave: Welcome to a very special COVID-19 edition of Office Hours. I’m going to take some time to review the questions already asked before I start; usually I just shoot from the hip, but given the changing circumstances I want to make sure I’m tracking the natural conversation correctly. Gimme 5 minutes :slight_smile:

5 Likes

That’s horrible, @Reaganfan78. Please keep us updated as much as possible.

2 Likes

Thankyou, hopefully tonight I’ll be able to try to get a goodnight sleep.

3 Likes

What are your favorite DC-related podcasts? Mine are Supergirl Radio and the Legends of Tomorrow Podcast; they’re a great mix of info and humor.

1 Like

“This question raises some questions about the one who asked it. Two stars.”

4 Likes

Back! Hi, again.

If you’re joining/lurking for the first time, hi! I hope you’re doing okay. Office Hours is a tiny sliver of the digital space within a digital space that seeks to answer any question you might have*, answered by someone placed squarely in the middle of the management chain.

rolls up sleeves

Let’s get started, shall we?

*About DC Universe, but I guess I can try other types of answers, too.

2 Likes

A very excellent question, @wrightline1.42741. While I’m sure Mr. Bader is proud of his work and just happy to have held the mantle, there is some mystery around why one person would be placed on an altar and another left to the shadows.

I think the remarkable artistic feats that B:TAS accomplished yanked it to the forefront often, and continues to do so. I do not mean to denigrate the artwork of BB&B, but you cannot deny that B:TAS changed animation.

That being said, we would happily support any effort to give Bader his due :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Does there have to be a morning after?

2 Likes