NYCC 2019: What's Coming for DC Universe

DC Universe is a little more than a year old and HBO Max is yet to be.

Many years ago, before these two services were even thought about, Warner Brothers knew that they had valuable film and TV assets and wanted revenue from them.

In return the other services wanted and got exclusive long term liscening contracts for these assests including CW and Smallville.

To the degree possible AT&T / Warner Brothers new philosophy is that these assets remain.within AT&T. That essentially means HBO Max.

AT&T recognizes that HBO Max needs a strong simple brand concrpt. It is one of all Warner Brothers films TV and Original.Content as a streaming services.

Adding additional aervices such as the Community forum and the DC Comics Linrary would confuse the Branding Arverisements for HBO Max, complicate tremendously moving the services both internationally and to other platforms ( DC Universe is not yet on PS4 after more than a year of trying ) just to satisfy a tiny percrmtage of people (relative to the millions who will be on HBO Max ) who subscribe to this niche service.

As stated above Marvel Unlimited and Disney Plus are separate apps.

So too.will be HBO Max and DC Universe.

If a member here only has intetest is the whole catalog of DC films plus very expensive Original Content that only HBO Max can provide with its millions of subscribers and twicw as expensive monthly fees they should migrate to HBO Max if they can afford it.

The Community Forum is free to all requiring no.monthly fee. Just a logon account and user name handle so you can post. This includes Watch A Longs and Book Clubs

If you want to access the 24000 issues in.the Library, older live action snd animated TV shows and Originak.Content keep your membership in DC Universe.

3 Likes

Yea because marvel unlimited has all the marvel movies and tv shows people want to watch… oh… wait… it doesn’t. I still get comics the old fashioned way every month about 13. DCU has never been about the comics I could read.

1 Like

@josephkellis24.39502

Whether you stay or leave

I suggest you continue visiting the Watchtower part of the Community Forum to see how DC conent is divided between HBO Max and DC Universe.

In a few months the situation will be much clearer.

I see no way

DC Universe ever gets all the content we all want.

The DC Comic library ever is included in HBO.Max. A video only streaming service is much easier to put on all platform’s as well as internationally

2 Likes

If you look at Disney+ and DCU on just the streaming shows, DCU beats Disney + easily. I know that DIsney is only a couple months old, but they do not have any live action Marvel TV series at all. No Hulk from the early 80’s, No Agents of Shield, No Daredevil, J. Jones, etc, and no original content. When DCU was only a couple months old, we had quite a few TV series and Titans had already started. Disney beats DCU in live action movies, but in my opinion they are less valuable than the TV shows. The TV shows usually have around 22 episodes that take awhile to watch, while movies are 2 hours or so and you are done.

3 Likes

I gotta say, I’m excited for both more Harley Quinn and Stargirl.

I wasn’t sure if I’d like a Harley Quinn animated series, but her character arc and the crew won me over. And knowing we’re getting the rest of the episodes in a few weeks is fantastic.

Stargirl is a show I’m very interested in because I loved the Stars and S.T.R.I.P.E. comic as it was coming out and am curious to see how a live action version would go. Sure, it won’t be Jack passing on the cosmic staff to Courtney but aside from that, everything else looks amazing!

3 Likes

Hey, so, Superman: Red Son - is that going to release on DCU similar to Batman Hush, Justice League vs the Fatal Five, Reign of the Supermen?

I know there’s a “coming and going” post but honestly it’s really cluttered in here and hard to get a concrete answer to this specific question.

It will come here 90 days after the blu ray release.

3 Likes

Thanks @scarie2010.15620

Not release day, but not too far off either

3 Likes

Would love it if it was closer. But I guess it does need to make the rounds on other services first.

They need to make some money off of it so they will produce more movies. It would be nice if they came same day as release but I understand then need to make some money.

2 Likes

Do want to note Disney+ does have Runaways, Agent Carter and Inhumans as far as past live action series. Yeah they don’t have things like the 70’s Spider-Man, Incredible Hulk, Mutant X and Blade which would be akin to the archival shows we get. But they are not without SOME live actions shows either.

3 Likes

True. The service is called Disney+ and not Marvel+, after all. We can’t expect them to live up to the high bar that DCU has set. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

(I often wonder if Disney is embarrassed by some of those older shows, which is why they’ve held them back. Stuff like the 1978 Doctor Strange movie. The 1960’s Amazing Spider-Man animated series. The two Reb Brown Captain America movies. David Hasselhof as Nick Fury. Heck, Marvel’s most successful show of the 1970’s - The Incredible Hulk with Bill Bixby - isn’t even on there. C’mon, Disney, people want to see those Hulk TV movies with Thor and Daredevil! :rofl:)

2 Likes

I think at least some of their older shows Disney does not have the distribution rights. Most of the ones in question were made before Disney bought Marvel (maybe all of them) so unless they just happened to be made by a company now owned by Fox or Disney they might not have that option short of paying licensing fees. And won’t lie, I can’t fault them for not paying licensing for most of those shows and TV movies.

1 Like

Yep @DanTheManOne1, Disney has some of the rights to the older stuff but not all, like the live action Spider Man, the Dr. Strange TV movie from the 1970s. Don’t think the Lou Ferigno Hulk is on it either. Would imagine some of it simply isn’t worth tracking down who owns the rights.

2 Likes

Yea but look at the shows they are about to make (disney plus)… AND we will get more than one at a time. If dcu would simply add cw shows WITHOUT commercials they would be superior. I am a DC guy, I want them to win. But so far I am not impressed. And now we get a table top game… pathetic. And I go to gencon every year lol.

3 Likes

“To win”? It’s not a competition. Also, I’m a little confused by what you said with “more than one at a time”? Could you possibly elaborate?

The CW shows aren’t on here for licensing rights made prior to the service. It’s not like they’re intentionally withholding the shows from the service.

1 Like

So if that is the case with the CW shows, where does that put shows like Powerless and Gotham at? Powerless was a short lived DC comedy on NBC and Gotham was on Fox and cancelled during the merger. I do know Gotham is available on Netflix but I don’t know what the contract entails.

That’s a good point. I think Powerless is still on Tubi (not entirely sure about that) and Fox might still want to hold onto the streaming rights for Gotham. They’ve got Batman live action shows locked down which is why we don’t have the Adam West series on here, but you never know. Time will tell, I guess.

Interesting viewpoint. However I suspect if Fox did want to do streaming for Gotham that would be a lot of red tape now considering that Disney owns Fox and DC does have propriety rights to the show and IP. That’s what makes this situation along with 66 complicated.

2 Likes

Exactly!

I liked Gotham. I think once they introduced Hugo Strange in the second season, the show really picked up. And I gotta say, Jerome was excellent. Also, while the reveal of who Jeremiah was could’ve been a hackneyed cliche, they pulled it off. Watching him go from who he was when we met him to who he became…fantastic.

4 Likes