NYCC 2019: What's Coming for DC Universe

Marvel via disney plus will be releasing their tv shows more than one at a time. So mutliple shows will be airing at the same time. Where as titans, harley, swamp thing, ect, come out one show at a time. So if you are like me and hated doom patrol, there is absolutely nothing new to watch on dcu at that time. I do not understand why dcu would not have the rights to cw shows though, as wb is with both? Adding those to the line up weekly would immediatly make dcu worth every penny. Not talking about comics (although I get 13 every month from dc), but as a dc fan of the shows I wish I had a way to watch all of it through one source. I got dcu in the hopes that this would happen. Again, pennyworth on epix, gotham on fox, krypton on syfy, cw shows, cw seed shows, dc animated movies, dcu movies… what is wrong with wanting a way to be able to watch all of that from one place? Disney plus although still waiting to get all the rights from everything has shown that progress in this direction can and will be made. As for my comment on winning, I as a dc fanboy would like to brag that the company I love and support out performs the marvel fanboy’s services. Btw this dc all star games show is a joke (and as I said before I go to gencon every year). Stop making that show, get rid of the teenage stupidity known as dc daily (which would be an awesome show with some maturity in it), and put that money they are wasting into things the fans want.

1 Like

I guess I can understand some of where you’re coming from but again, Disney Plus and DC Universe are not a one to one correlation. Disney Plus is streaming only. DC Universe is streaming, comics and forums.

Disney Plus will release Falcon and Winter Soldier in August. WandaVision will be in December. We don’t know the dates for What If or Loki. And if The Mandalorian is any indication, the episodes will be released weekly rather than all at once.

Say what you will about DC Universe but at least they didn’t make us wait for original content. Since the service’s launch we’ve had new content every Friday, barring maybe two or three weeks.

As for the CW shows and other content, a lot of the licensing deals were made prior to the creation of DC Universe. Warner Bros has to legally honor those agreements. I would love everything on this service too but this service was never advertised to have every piece of DC media.

Again, I understand where you’re coming from and I too would love to one day have everything on here, but we’re working within the parameters of prior licensing. Those deals help pay for things like DC Universe and so on.

3 Likes

@josephkellis24.39502 I know you don’t like the show, but…

I like it… I think it is okay that we don’t have to like everything on this platform. I wasn’t overly thrilled with Doom Patrol (thought is was too adult for my taste), but I still support them showing it. It can only help open up more doors to more content.

4 Likes

@ashleywilbanks I agree with you 100%. I’m not an rpg player but I watched the first episode. The show is ok in my opinion but that doesn’t mean I want them to stop making it. I will probably keep watching it just to help it possibly get more seasons. He also said he doesn’t really like dc daily witch I rather enjoy the show the way it is.

3 Likes

People will like things and not like other things. I have no problems with that. Its the fact that when it came out, IF you didn’t like it; there was nothing else to watch or look forward to.

I wouldn’t say there’s nothing else to watch. I mean, there’s complete seasons of older live action and animated shows. But I also recognize that some people may not be aware of that or they’re just looking for something new

1 Like

Or some of us fans have watched them all before. My wife and I rewatched lois and clark. But all of the dc animated movies I owned prior and watch all the time.

2 Likes

Totally understand. I’m a big Lois and Clark fan, myself; superboy, too!

They’re very rewatchable!

Look what this comes down to is either being ok with only getting a fraction of all dc media, or like myself and others wanting more content. Honestly I loved the idead of dcu when it came out, I preordered it. But if hbo max would be able to have all of dc (save probably gotham), and then include wb/hbo movies and shows… why would you be so bent against such a thing happening? Also just a reminder the other main complaint was a lack of information from dc for almost 6 months Even after posting in this thread for several weeks, not a single definitive date on almost anything has been given despite the supposed vast resources of this forum. Also dc is basically the grand daddy of comics. As such I know many older fans who have the service but cannot figure out of to use this forum. I do know they have sent a multitude of emails asking the same questions I have (they cc me) with no reply. The best answer I have gotten is “wait a few months” and a new lineup but it had no dates.

1 Like

Wow, that was a response out of left-field

For context, here is the final thought from that article, which, by the way, is an opinion piece:

DC Universe was always a niche, fan-focused service that wasn’t trying for the same market saturation as Disney+ (which hosts Marvel movies and has upcoming shows on its release slate). And it must be said the value isn’t just in original programming, but an immense comics library and back catalogue. It’s too soon to say the service is truly defunct, but its position as a dominant home for DC originals is certainly in doubt.

3 Likes

I’m afraid this article doesn’t really state anything concretely. It seems like the typical “exclusive” which is really an op-ed piece in disguise.

That being said @josephkellis24.39502, I’d like to acknowledge your efforts for looking for said article. A lot of people will just say what they say and don’t look for anything to help with their argument. While we may be on different sides of this issue, again I feel you deserve credit for doing what you did :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

The clickbait article title on Facebook is quite different than the article’s actual title, let alone its content. And just for fun, here’s another article from the same site on the same day promoting DC Universe All Star Games:

3 Likes

Didnt have to look for it. It popped up on facebook because of all my comic book likes. This is the ONLY information those of us who are looking for information are getting.

1 Like

Well, there’s also the News section of the website…

https://www.dcuniverse.com/news

1 Like

In their defense its a poor mans tabletop game that Will Wheaton puts out. Again the level of maturity is laughable to me. You can be a comic fan and not act like you are 12.

Holy gatekeeping, Batman!

Anyway, this whole discussion is getting off topic. We know what’s coming for DC Universe. We even have a discussion of the content coming this month:

Ergo, this line of discussion is defunct and pointless.

Not gonna lie I can’t belive you posted that :rofl:. The lack of information on their is the exact reason this post was made in the first place. It has lots of news on conventions and what not, but zero on whats to come. I have continued to ask for some news of what will happen, but no one is able to give concrete, or heck semi-concrete news.

1 Like

Well this discuss was more of the future of dcu with the introduction of hbo max. Dcu all star games is NOT a show they should be proud of, its cool to kind of see… but there are teenagers putting out gameboard reviews with better production values. First game was from the 80’s and you have to dig deep to find it online. Why not make an episode about the dc deck builders (which I own all of). Or how about the new funkoverse dc game that just came out (I also own). That way you promote a game your viewers can play, and promote your own product. Also so they are digitizing old comics… but if you already own them then it means nothing. Again absolutely no real news for what is to come. If anything your post proved the validity of my point.