NYCC 2019: What's Coming for DC Universe

I just read that AT&T is on the verge of deciding to put the comic book wing of DC Comics out of business if this new 5G initiative fails. I think that’s remarkably short-sighted, but I wouldn’t expect anything more from corporate drones interested only in money.

My question is how that would affect the DC Universe service. Would there just not be any new comics, but the existing (and hopefully expanding) list of digitized comics already written would be maintained?

1 Like

Source?

1 Like

I read it here. Maybe it’s not true (I hope it’s not true).

2 Likes

Yea…cosmic book news is akin to We Got This Covered. They’re also known for clickbait articles. Unless this has also been reported by reliable outlets, I’d treat this as a rumor.

4 Likes

Yep. I found that out the hard way.

2 Likes

We’re going to Ethan Van Sciver for insight on the comic book industry? Seriously?

5 Likes

I learned that harsh lesson years ago when they had an “exclusive” that Bryan Cranston was cast as Lex Luthor in Dawn of Justice.

3 Likes

Very good to know. Thank you for helping me sleep better at night! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Well, you know, Rob Liefeld said DC was going under months ago, and he’s always been a bastion of solid sense and knowledge.

4 Likes

I don’t know whether you meant that sarcastically or not.

1 Like

I have a hard time believing that they would up and shut down DC Comics. That would not make a lot of sense. I mean I don’t exactly have a business degree so maybe I am missing something. But this sounds like when ATT bought it someone came up with the worst possible scenario and people ran with it and caused pannic because internet.

Again maybe I am missing something, but that seems real hard to believe they would just up and shut it down. Hell if they put it up for sale someone would buy it so can’t see why they would just shut it down completely even if they didn’t want it.

3 Likes

Scary, isn’t it?

3 Likes

Yeah, if anyone understands comics, it’s Rob Lie…

…Stan Lee. That’s who I meant. Stan Lee.

3 Likes

I love Stan Lee even more now.

True story: I met Rob Liefeld once at a restaurant where I was waiting tables. He was kind enough to draw me a 30-second Badrock sketch.

I still wouldn’t trust him or Van Sciver to know the future of comics.

2 Likes

Oh, I met Van Sciver once, too. He wasn’t as nice. Not rude, just not nice, either. Maybe he was tired. Or could smell my politics.

3 Likes

What does that mean?

1 Like

It means that EVS leans to the right on the political spectrum and makes sure that everyone knows it. His opinions about the current state of the comics industry are inseparable from his political opinions thanks to his former affiliation with a certain extremist crackpot “fandom” movement that will go unnamed.

6 Likes

Getting the thread back on topic: if DC Comics ever did shut down (not happening, but if), I wonder if that would actually increase subscriptions to this app.

I mean, the rumor says the comics would shut down, but AT&T isn’t going to sell off the characters themselves.

2 Likes

Coming back into the chat. WB/Hbo “streamlining” down is great and all. I also understand that as far as new content dcu at the moment is out performing disney plus. However; disney plus is just getting started. With disney plus you have all of star wars new shows, all of disney new shows, and all of marvel new shows; all under one banner… new AND old. But what of dcu? Well all of original cw super hero shows (no smallville) are on the cw seed, but you have to watch commercials. Epix has pennyworth, FOX has gotham, and cw has all of its shows. Then to watch everything else wb/hbo you have to go to hbo max. Disney plus you get all in one, dc/hbo/wb try like 15 different ways you have to watch. Also like I said before all this “information” being put out there on this topic is nowhere near readily available enough. Myself a 35 year old struggled to sift through this app to learn first how to use it, and then to look up posts. And to prove how many people agree with me, simply look how many people have posted on this thread! We NEED dcu to merge with hbo max. It’s not fair to the loyal fans to make them pay for multiple subs when the competition does it with one (which I might add I got free for a year with verizon).

I’m looking at Marvel Unlimited and Disney+ right now, and I see no option to bundle them together. Ergo, the competition isn’t doing it with one. Unless they make the comics and the adaptations available together, they’re not even trying to do the same thing as DC Universe.

4 Likes