:00_dc_2016: Naomi Season 1 Discussion Thread :00_dc_2016:

I don’t know. I keep going back & forth on this show. Maybe because I want to like it? My main gripe so far, is I don’t find the characters or their dealings believable. By believable, I don’t mean realistic… just… off. Naomi tells her friend she may be an alien with powers and the reaction is “of course you are, babe”… or something of that nature? This is supposedly a world where aliens are not known to exist yet, right? The whole scooby gang just follows Naomi around getting involved in what’s supposed to be weird sci-fi stuff without even questioning what the heck is going on? Because they all just like her very much? If Naomi had that really cool relationship with her parents, why did she hide what was happening to her from them? What’s the point of D (Dee?) being so deliberate about what he shares with Naomi about her own heritage and nature?

I don’t mean to ■■■■ on the show. Like I said to begin with, I really want to like it… and there’s enough here to keep me coming back. Really curious to see how they’re going to reconcile the whole “superheroes are only in comic books” thing with Superman’s appearance and aliens actually existing in that world.

Three episodes in… not my favorite so far, but still passable enough to keep watching. Think I’m gonna read the comic over the weekend to see where this could potentially be going.

5 Likes

Why is it so bad that people are talking about a possible crossover? Sure, there’s definitely not gonna be one anytime soon, but that doesn’t mean there can’t be at any point. I just don’t understand why you seem so dead set on shutting down any conversation about potential future crossovers

5 Likes

I shut down conversations about crossovers because expecting them is completely unrealistic.

You wouldn’t watch Star Wars expecting a crossover with Star Trek, and you shouldn’t be watching Naomi expecting crossovers between it and any other DC TV series.

2 Likes

It honestly comes across as pretty arrogant that you’re trying to control the way people view this show. Makes it seem like you think people can’t have any sort of opposing view on something pretty innocuous in the grand scheme of things. It’s totally fine to argue why you think the show’s never gonna cross over w/ the Arrowverse, but this is too much

7 Likes

Agreed! Couldn’t have said it better myself.

5 Likes

I’m kind of in the same boat. I’m still gonna watch to see what happens and where this goes but it’s pacing is slow and as weird as this sounds, I think she has too many friends. It’s hard to get a sense of who they are as people.

3 Likes

Mutant? Is that even a thing in DC? Before Marvel, makes sense, Marvel copied a whole lot from DC.

3 Likes

I would rather come across as arrogant than face the incessant complaining when Naomi reaches its conclusion without ever overlapping with any of the other DCTV series.

If people stop expecting crossovers that are extremely unlikely to happen, Naomi’s overall success rate as a series will be improved in the long run.

2 Likes

So even you acknowledge that it’s not impossible at some point

I just think you’re getting wayyy too ahead of yourself w/ this. If Naomi really does end w/out having ever crossed over w/ any other CW DC show, then it’ll certainly be a more concrete discussion, but that’s probably years off. And it’s definitely far from impossible to think that a CW DC show could cross over w/ other DC shows on the same network at some point. Far crazier things have happened when it comes to TV crossovers before

2 Likes

Television crossovers between ongoing series that air on the same network but have completely different production companies have happened in the past, but they’re rare when you take into account the sheer vastness of the television landscape, making it highly irrational to go into watching a series expecting that kind of crossover to happen as a matter of course.

Also, just because something isn’t impossible (because nothing is impossible), you shouldn’t go through life believing that the lack of impossibility equals a realistic chance of possibility because you’re setting yourself up for disappointment.

2 Likes

This seems to be forcing a choice between 1 or the other, but there’s so much middle ground between these options. We can think that a crossover probably won’t happen, and certainly not anytime soon, while also still thinking that it’s possible and hoping for that. That’s how I’m viewing it and I’m sure plenty of us also see it similarly at the moment. But trying to shut down any crossover talk whatsoever just constitutes a complete lack of fun and imagination

3 Likes

Just because you can have that kind of mindset doesn’t mean that you should.

People should be focusing on the story that the Naomi series is presenting to us as it exists and not be thinking about or expecting it to establish connections with other external stories.

2 Likes

Well sorry not sorry to disappoint, but you can’t control how I or anyone else views the show

You do realize it’s possible to do both, right? That’s been exactly the case for this thread: people discussing/analyzing the show on its own merits while also speculating about a possible future crossover

6 Likes

Keep in mind Adam Blake was co-created by Julius Schwartz, who published the sci-fi fanzine Time Traveler with Mort Weisinger and Forrest J. Ackerman and was later an agent for such sci-fi writers as Alfred Bester and Ray Bradbury. This was all before he joined All-American Publications as an editor! He was then very familiar with the idea of mutants before he ever became an editor at DC.

4 Likes

Just read all six issues of the comic. Great series; well written and very lavishly illustrated. Funny that I found my own inquiries addressed there.

Annabelle’s reaction in the comic was actually similar, but was easier to believe. The town had literally just met Superman, who not only passed through there while fighting Mongul, but also came back after to help clean up the mess. Super powered aliens are not fictional in that world.

No scooby gang in the comic, at least not yet. Naomi has a good size group of friends, but the story focuses on a the few key players.

She doesn’t in the comic. Goes straight to them.

There’s actually a couple of very good reasons here, but potentially very spoilerific for future episodes. I say potentially because I’m not sure the show is going in that same direction. The events are unfolding quite differently, especially with Zumbado. Naomi’s powers seem different too, or maybe they’re just building up to the energy based stuff we see in the comics.

Overall, I think the show captures the feel of the book (which I think is great source material) but at a much slower pace, and a significantly larger cast. Some focus and more brisk storytelling could help it become great itself.

6 Likes

I really enjoyed the latest episode. Dee is quickly becoming my favorite character on the show. I have always liked Thanagarians anyway! I loved the fight between him and the bounty hunter. It was so cool that he could tell where the hunter would teleport next! I loved that they used a Turing device to decipher the writing! Alan Turing is one of my heroes, so I love it any time he is referenced on a TV show, in a movie, or in a book. And we finally find out where Naomi came from, Earth 29. I am thinking that it must be an alternate Earth. If that is the case, it brings two questions to my mind. Can Naomi be considered an alien? And given that we know doppelgangers can exist on the various Earths, does that mean there could be a non-powered Naomi somewhere on the primary Earth of the TV show?

4 Likes

No, Naomi can’t be considered an alien anymore.

3 Likes

It was nice to get some more breadcrumbs on Naomi and where she’s from. And I liked the dinner scene with Naomi’s parents and D.

Week by week I’m getting used to the fact this is a slow burn in terms of pacing. I’m really not interested in her friends, though.

3 Likes

Her friends bore me.

4 Likes

E4
Great episode

More and more with this mystery.

Naomi gets the disk. And figures it out. Meets with one of the 29 and finds out she’s from another earth. Interesting. Definitely more than just an alien.

The friends do there thing with her. Fun stuff she runs for prez and drops it and desires to go for live nice.

The dinner was definitely tense and D has been awesome™:+1:. Great mentor and great fight with the hunter.

Who’s going to hunt next? How with the relationship effect the friend group? What’s next with the Alien Task Force? All this and more Same McDuffie Time Same McDuffie Channel

3 Likes