:00_dc_2016: Naomi Season 1 Discussion Thread :00_dc_2016:

OK, I am late to the thread and do not have the time to go back and immediately read all the posts before. Is anyone else as disappointed with the changes from the comics story as I am? I mean the whole Superman story is confusing, her origin seems to be getting changed completely, her dad is not seeming to be who he was in the comics, and Dee just seems wrong too. I loved the comic story and really wanted THAT story to be told. I am trying my best, but it is very hard to get into this show after loving the comic so much.

4 Likes

It’s too early to make calls as to whether - or to what degree - things may or may not have been changed from the comics.

3 Likes

Superman doesn’t exist on The CW Naomi’s Earth, but he does in the comics. I am still giving it a chance, but it is very different already…

4 Likes

I agree that it’s too early to tell just how much things will end up being changed from the comic, but it’s already pretty clear that big changes have happened just in general

4 Likes

People thought that Superman didn’t exist, but Dee has told Naomi that he does.

I disagree with this, but we’ll see.

3 Likes

He told Naomi he fought alongside Superman in a great war, but he didn’t say he exists on Naomi’s Earth. Also, it was a fake Superman and that was a terrible idea. Wasn’t Zumbado the one trying to kill Naomi in the comic? That alone is a huge change. Finally, for now, Naomi seems to be from another planet, not an alternate earth. That also is a big change.

3 Likes

I will admit that some of the things we thought were big changes are actually more faithful to the comic than we initially thought, like this. Naomi was presented as an alien from outer space, but the most recent episode confirmed that she’s actually from another earth instead, just like in the comic

What about the fact that this is a world where most everyone believes superheroes to only be fictional characters? I know it’s revealed that they’re not, but that’s already a pretty big change from the comic, which takes place in a world where everyone knows that Superman and other heroes are real. There’s also Zumbado being here from the very beginning, Naomi’s adoptive parents not knowing Dee before all of this, her adoptive father not being a Rann soldier, Port Oswego being a military base this time around, Naomi having any sort of love interest (let alone 3) etc. There’s a lot that is faithful to the original comic but also plenty that’s already been changed

3 Likes

When did they confirm this? All I saw was that she was found on the round platform.

3 Likes

Ah, that would be in last week’s episode. Sorry, I assumed you were caught up, but I should’ve put that behind a spoiler blur right away

3 Likes

I think the writers are trying to fill out a season of TV with stuff that wasn’t in the comic, like Naomi’s love interests and her scooby gang. It is an adaptation after all, and one that doesn’t have a ton of source material to draw from, so I’m ok with deviating. The last episode was somewhat better than the ones before it, with a brisker pace and better dialogue. It may be a case like Legends of Tomorrow, where the show needs some time to find its voice.

5 Likes

Unless Episode 4 contains revelations on these topics that I’m unaware of, there is not enough information to justify making these kinds of comments.

3 Likes

If Greg and Jennifer knew Dee before all of this, it would’ve been evident by now since Dee was over for dinner. But they were looking to get to know Dee, which showed that they didn’t know him already beyond surface details that anyone on the base would’ve known. And we’ve seen enough of the backstory w/ the parents now to rule out Greg having been a Rann soldier. It’s clear that he’s been on Earth this whole time, and if he was, why wouldn’t he have revealed it by now? He did so in the comic when they told Naomi about how she came to this Earth, but there hasn’t even been the slightest hint of that on the show

4 Likes

I can see him still being from Rann, but it is clear that he has not been in contact with Dee prior like he was in the comics. I must have stepped to the potty or something when they revealed Naomi is from another earth, but I did watch the episode. I’ll admit it is growing on me, which is why I continue to give it a chance. I would have given up on Black Lightning if they had not announced it was the final season, but I hope I get into Naomi, because I really enjoyed the comics.

4 Likes

It just seems incredibly unlikely given their commitment to honesty. I can’t possibly see him keeping that a secret from his wife, and if she knows, that means they’d both be deciding to keep it from Naomi as well. And given that they already admitted how they found her, I don’t see what benefit that could serve at this point. I guess it’s not 100% impossible, but I’d still be very surprised if it happened on the show

5 Likes

They could still be waiting for the “right time” which we all know never comes.

5 Likes

Logically it wouldn’t make much sense to wait since the “secret” of aliens is fully out there among the 3 of them, and they have to know that Naomi’s mature enough to handle a secret like that, even if it’d take her some time to adjust to it. But then again, this is the CW we’re talking about, and they do love their unnecessary drama. Even though it wouldn’t make much sense, I guess they could hold off on that for a future season so as to create and drag out more of that precious drama for them

4 Likes

To be fair, they have no more drama than any other comic based show. The Netflix Marvel shows were badly drug out too. Like I said, I’m giving it the benefit of the doubt, but my hopes are no longer high…

4 Likes

To me this comes off as a fun family show. That’s probably what’s “off” for so many people.

I really like this show and all the characters and the fight scene with D in episode 4 was AWESOME!

5 Likes

Is anyone else kinda giving up on the arrow verse

3 Likes

The love quadrangle is so stupid, but why have Naomi pick the most boring choice and someone who’s a jerk to someone else like Anthony? Thanagarians are not warmongers!

5 Likes