LIVE Q&A with Justin Halpern & Patrick Schumacker, HARLEY QUINN ANIMATED SERIES Showrunners! Mon 5/11 @5pm PT/8pm ET

this show has such an A-List cast of voice talent

2 Likes

I’d say this answer’s real… nice.

6 Likes

I’m just seeing this now, but thank you so much for answering! I can definitely understand the excitement, and can’t blame you for wanting to keep it a secret for too long :smiley:

3 Likes

We knew Penguin was your favorite character, and we thought you were having too good of a time, and needed to be reminded that much of life is pain and suffering. There’s a faint ghost of writing on a white board in Burbank with the words “Ruin Reaganfan78’s day by killing Penguiin.”

In all seriousness, Penguin was the sad choice we had to make, because we wanted to make a big statement at the beginning of the season by having Harley kill off a big bad. Luck of the draw…

As to BWL, I think that might be something way down the road. Like waaaaaay down the road. There’s decades of DC lore we haven’t mined, so newer creations aren’t the top of our list. (I say that even though we have Sy Borgman in the show.)

14 Likes

Batman who laughs needs metal. No one else would get it without metal event. No matter how cool he is.

1 Like

Not this season, but I would love to have Dick on the show.

10 Likes

The killing off of Penguin and Mr. Freeze worked, in a way, because it shows that no one is safe.

5 Likes

More so animated series like Archer, Venture Bros. and Rick and Morty!

6 Likes

shows been really bold about allowing characters to exit the story once it logically makes sense. If harley’s on a revenge mission in this show, casualties will follow. I love Afred Molina and was delighted to see him as Mr.Freeze and my god may be a 1-shot but an amazing 1 shot at that character.

2 Likes

I welcome any and all chances to do the sort of things you’re talking about in your post. Particularly in just giving more female characters (as antagonists to Harley) more screen time. And the fanboys were a bit of an experiment that literally came from feeling the need to introduce a Harley episode with no Harley in it, so that was a one-off for now. But we do have a later episode with Frank doing a recap, and a Frank monologue is a lot of fun.

11 Likes

I need to watch JLD Apocalypse!

7 Likes

You can find some pretty great interviews with Jefferson Friedman, our composer, if you look online. His words about his work are far more eloquent than mine. But Jefferson is a genius.

11 Likes

They’ll pop up here and there. They were on a corporate retreat when Joker’s tower blew up LOD HQ. Lex will be back in a somewhat significant way, and you’ll see others

11 Likes

Hopefully a soundtrack album for this show is in the near future.

5 Likes

So, you’ll notice subtle differences in the suit as the show progresses. We definitely wanted to imply that she was upgrading. It’s very subtle, though.

9 Likes

Will the Harley x Ivy romance be permanent or on and off?

Are you considering adding group characters like Teen Titans and The Green Lanterns?

2 Likes

Beyond the flashback episode, we don’t delve too much more into Ivy’s past this season. As to Wonder Woman… if I recall she was trapped in Queen of Fables book back at the end of season one. I wonder if that’ll play into season two somehow… hmmm…

15 Likes

I promise we’re not going to just keep killing off a bunch of major antagonists. But we really wanted to make a statement in the early episodes of Season 2. That anything could happen in the show. But now that we’ve settled in, starting with this week’s episode, we’re going to really start exploring Harley and Ivy’s romantic pull toward each other in earnest. And don’t worry, Bane will never die.

16 Likes

I would loooove to see this.

4 Likes

Thanks!
Loved how she went from the mask and moto jacket in her first appearance to full-on Batgirl in her second

1 Like