LIVE Q&A: DOOM PATROL WRITERS Shoshana Sachi & Tom Farrell! Monday, April 6th @5pm PT/8pm ET

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:
:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:
There’s a few extra, enjoy!
8:08p

1 Like

Loving your profile picture Shoshana

2 Likes

I adore that they started from the bottom of the thread instead of the top! For some reason though, I feel like this will make @Applejack’s eyes twitch haha

5 Likes

Hey! thanks for sharing your story with us, it always means a lot to us when viewers talk about how Doom Patrol affected them or how they felt the show represented them in some way. We absolutely do as much research as we can, one of the books we use as reference also influenced Grant Morrison’s depiction of Jane. The Rabbit Howls, I believe it’s called? And some others. I also drew on some of my own experiences with depression/ anxiety when taking on some of story points of hers.

question 1: I don’t know what the Negative Spirit’s gender identity or sexuality is, or if those even exist to the NS. We’re still learning more about this interdimensional being.
question 2: I believe the NS is very sensitive to everything Larry does, and despite their odds in season 1, they have a connection. So I think the NS felt a sense of sadness, if not gratitude, which is why it returned to Larry.

6 Likes

oh shiiit. we n00bs sorry

6 Likes

There’s no wrong way!

2 Likes

What was the writing process like for the show?

2 Likes

This is all very naughty spoilery questions.
Please direct your request for 10 more seasons to the grand council of WB.

9 Likes

Absolutely believe the Negative Spirit could be non-binary! Though who knows…

I think The Spirit was touched by Larry’s offer to sacrifice himself for his freedom, and it was ultimately tempted by the offer. It’s important to remember that The Spirit is a sentient being in and of itself, so as much as Larry feels trapped with it. It feels trapped with Larry back. Ultimately, however, these two souls are intertwined, and The Spirit couldn’t stand idly by and let Larry die.

So thrilled to hear you approve of our portrayal of DID. It’s something we talk about a lot in the writers’ room and want to be incredibly respectful of. Grant Morrison talks about how he referenced the book When Rabbit Howls when he created Jane.

7 Likes

Thank you so much for replying :slight_smile:

2 Likes

There’s a fart machine taped to the back of Jeremy Carver’s chair if that gives you an idea of what the room’s like.

9 Likes

ah, a fellow person of good taste.

8 Likes

a lot of moving parts in that scene and I have found myself playing that scene over and over.

2 Likes

Working with a co-writer is great. It’s always nice to have someone to bounce ideas off of. Writing can be so solitary sometimes so it really helps to have someone to kick the tires with on certain ideas, concepts, lines of dialogue, etc.

When I’m blocked I usually do one of two things:

Eat.

Or I lie down either in bed or on a couch, I close my eyes, and I try to focus on the scene at hand as hard as I can. I literally try to watch the scene in my mind like a movie, and I try to imagine what feels right (or wrong), and how the scene can progress. Usually something presents itself that I can grab on and run with.

9 Likes
  1. Great! I think it’s helped me grow massively as a writer. This is my first show and my first go at writing with someone else, so it took a little getting used to, but everyone I’ve worked with has shown me immense respect even as a newbie. Often times now, especially after a season of work, we know who has a better handle on what kind of emotion/ relationship/ character portrayal and we can divide up the work that way. Sometimes for instance, if I can’t think of a good punchline for something and I’ve spent awhile scratching my head over it, I’ll ask Chris Dingess and he’ll come up with something in 2 seconds. Having a room full of different kinds of geniuses is kind of awesome.

2. Personally, I stop writing and go do something else. Anything else. Go workout, go for a walk, listen to music, play video games… etc, or just sleep on it. Get back to it the next day. Still blocked? I watch something that has similar themes to whatever I’m trying to crack. Or talk it out with my co-writer, or even my husband-- who’s kind of a genius. haha!

8 Likes

Yay!!! Doom Patrol is the BEST! So excited for Season 2. Is Mr Nobody gonna run for President?!? And can we ever expect to see Agent “!” who comes as no surprise?

3 Likes

Thanks @TomFarrell and @shoshanasachi!
I will try y’alls advice for writers block.
8:22p

5 Likes

In honor of our guests, we’ve added Doom Patrol emojis to our packs! To use, refresh your browser and type “:_dp” and you’ll see the 11 or so we have. Hopefully we’ll be able to get big eyes, puppets, cakes, and more soon!

:donkey_dp::flexmentallo_dp::mauralee_dp:
:rita_dp::robotman_dp: :negativeman_dp:
:cyborg_dp::chief_dp::crazyjane_dp:
Tried to do Danny, how do you do a Street in emoji?!
:dannythestreet_dp:

6 Likes

When writing Crazy Jane, how do you guys manage with all the 64 personalities? How do you determine which one works best or is needed in a scene?

2 Likes

wat

1. most of the time an episode gets either one or two writers. and we divide it up between ourselves either by act, or by storyline. Usually. Sometimes, a writer might feel like they really want to write a specific scene and we’ll work on dividing it up that way. Time: that depends on deadlines. I wanna say… a week, maybe less. But by then we’ve ironed out all the beats of the story and written an outline.
6 Likes