LIVE Q&A: DOOM PATROL WRITERS Shoshana Sachi & Tom Farrell! Monday, April 6th @5pm PT/8pm ET

I love all my children equally. :joy:

But every time I sit down to write Rita, there’s pretty much always a huge smile on my face because she is just such a fun, layered, soulful yet hilarious character. It’s always a treat.

Truthfully though, I could say the same about any of the Doomies. I :heart: them all so much!

8 Likes

:rita_dp: Eeeeeeeeeee!

3 Likes

Jeez, everyone trying their hardest to make it spoiler patrol for season two up in here!

3 Likes

best not to fight against it!
Writers block is the fear of failure, once you tap into what’s holding you back and release it, things go smoother. Everyone gets it though.

8 Likes

Thanks @shoshanasachi.
8:27p

2 Likes

Aww… that is so sweet! Thank you for your response

2 Likes

Well, she’s not named Elastiwoman. She’s Rita Farr. That’s where we’re starting, and with our adaptation of the show, we’re trying to get to know who Rita Farr is, and following her as she embarks on this journey to adjusting to life as a meta-human/ super-powered person. To her, her powers are still ‘ugly’, and negative. So understandably, it’s taking her some time to get to a point where she can be fully realized as a “superhero”. We’ll hope you love Rita enough to stay and follow her journey.

11 Likes

There were a lot of moments from my episodes in Season 1 that really made my heart swell. The “People Like Us” musical number in Danny Patrol was certainly near the top of the list. Everyone’s positive reactions to Danny were so overwhelming and some people even said the episode helped them explain their own gender identities and sexual orientations to their families. As a writer, that’s the best kind of feedback you can possible get.

Also, Rita’s monologue in Flex Patrol to Ed (Mr. Nobody) about her dark past kills me every time I see it. April Bowlby worked so hard on it and it absolutely shows. She hit it out of the park.

9 Likes

For Paw Patrol, I drew the punk stuff from my own experience of being a teenager/ early 20-something, in a moshpit at an underground punk club in Hamilton, New Zealand. One of the underground punk clubs I used to go to was called Void-- the name of the club Jane goes to in Paw Patrol.

7 Likes

I gotta say, Rita Farr was the biggest surprise for me. Totally stole the show for me personally. My favorite rendition of the character by far.

Not a question, just a thank you.

8 Likes

|:| closest I can get to a street emoji. Yep trying to figure that one out over here, @Applejack.

4 Likes

Personally, I’m happy with the core team. I think they’re the heart of our show. BUT… I do believe that other characters will come into their lives and be a mainstay so-to-speak, but we’re always going to rely on our core team. We’re going to learn about and adjust to these new characters through their experiences-- their eyes.

8 Likes

Well done. Thank you for answering and I hope you have many more of these moments.

3 Likes

I love Rachel Pollack’s run. That’s about all I can give away.

7 Likes

(Now listening to “People Like Us” on repeat)

5 Likes

:negativeman_dp:

5 Likes

NAILED IT :robotman_dp:

2 Likes

I think our goal with the Doom Patrol is always to humanize them. These are real people, dealing with real struggles, who also happen to have superpowers. And that includes The Chief (minus the superpowers). In our minds, Niles is a complex, nuanced character and he only did what he felt he had to do. More specifically, he did the wrong thing for the right reasons. That was the version of Niles we were all the most excited to explore.

7 Likes

:crazyjane_dp:

3 Likes

Well, your response does indicate big things for season two. I for one hope she does use her powers more and doesn’t get pushed to the sidelines. In the Beard Patrol episode, I wondered why she didn’t stretch her arm and slug Beard Hunter during Cyborg’s battle with him. She came off too much as a stereotypical helpless female in that scene.

1 Like