[Legion Fan Club] Five Year Club Anniversary Celebration! 4/13/24 Reading: Adventure #271

The [Legion Fan Club] is now 5 years old, congratulations, Legion Fans!

It all started with this “forbidden” thread on DC Community back in February 2019, Sign this Petition for Legion Comics on DCU , which was then followed in April 2019 with a Special Event Watch-Along: Justice League vs. The Fatal Five! (Tues 4/16/2019) that the new [Legion Fan Club] assembled in force to join in with (thread for this Watch Along no longer on DC Community).

From there, we had our first reading, April 20th 2019: Adventure #247 and giant-sized Adventure #300, at that time the earliest appearances of the Legion digitized on DC Universe (later Infinite).

This week, we celebrate a newly-available early Legion story, found here: Superboy: A Celebration of 75 Years (DC Universe Infinite Ultra)
Superboy: A Celebration of 75 Years Adventure Comics #370 (page 111 in the Superboy volume), “The Devil’s Jury.”

1. Who are your favorite Legionnaires in this early version of the team?

2. Do you like Lana Lang as Insect Queen?

3. How many outdated social norms did you see pop up in the story?

4. Rate the story plot 1 to 10, 10 being the best, and tell us why you give it this rating.

… … … … … … … … . Lana Lang Bzzzz … … … … … … … … …

Please share any favorite panels / front pages from this time around!

We’ll plan to do this again soon with the next Legion reading! There are more current Legion appearances brewing, we’ll be sure to check those out once they fully hatch!

Not a Legion Fan Club member yet? Crave a nifty gold ring for your icon? To join and get in on other discussions, our private Discord channel and our archives, click here: Legion Fan Club!

Long Live the Legion

Long Live the Legion

Long Live the Legion

@LegionFanClub

3 Likes

Was Lana Lang ever a Legion member at any level?

3 Likes

She was rejected for full membership as she relied on a ring for her powers. But after saving Superboy and helping out she was granted the status of Reserve Legionnaire. Superboy’s other Silver Age friend, Pete Ross, was an Honorary Legion member.

4 Likes
  1. Early version, all versions, Superboy and Mon-El will always be #1 and 1A. Lana Lang and Shadow Lass are near the top of the list on the distaff side. My favorites are overwhelmingly from the pre Shooter era.

2. I’ve always loved this. The vast VAST number of insects she can become makes for an interesting mix.

3. I am an outdated social norm.

1. The Mordru two parter is my all time favorite Legion story. Ever since I got this that reprinted the story in 1976.

Question: Shouldn’t Duo Damsel be from a planet named Xerox and not Mordru?

4 Likes

Ultra Boy, Mon-El, Phantom Girl-- though any Legionnaire can be a favorite in any story

Lana? Yes,

Like, every other panel…

Well, 10. Whether you think its good bad or indifferent, this two part is seminal, the inspiration to many fantasists for decades to come.

3 Likes

Limited Collectors’ Editions. Comic ambrosia.

4 Likes

First off, happy anniversary! I know I’ve been terrible at keeping up with this club, but I’m glad to see it’s still around and I’m going to try and pick up a little more. Here’s to many more! :smiley:

That said – did we read this story before? The whole thing of the Legionnaires stuck in Smallville and having to conceal themselves from Mordru sounded so familiar – and NOT just because I’m a Doctor Who fan.

1. Who are your favorite Legionnaires in this early version of the team?

That’s a hard one going by this story because there isn’t that much difference between them other than their powers, but going by later books I would go with either Mon-El or Shadow Lass.

1. Do you like Lana Lang as Insect Queen?

Not especially – I think when it comes to Legion and Clark, I like more what Geoff Johns did in the 10s where Clark’s childhood in Smallville is relatively normal, but he still had adventures with the Legion. And to go with that, I prefer Lana’s childhood to be a little more normal than having a crazy ring that turns her into different insects.

1. How many outdated social norms did you see pop up in the story?

Let me put it to you this way – if this was a drinking game, I wouldn’t be typing this because I would be too busy getting my stomach pumped. :rofl:

Seriously though, I think the most egregious one was at the very end when they make a joke out of the fact that the Legion in the 30th Century was “saved by a bunch of girls.” Like…hell yeah they were, some of the most badass Legionnaires are women, and I forget who said it but whoever it was should get a good thrashing from said women for that one.

1. Rate the story plot 1 to 10, 10 being the best, and tell us why you give it this rating.

Rating it on it’s own, probably a 6? It looks like there was an issue that came before it (maybe that’s what was read before?), but Mordru in this era just never grabbed me – like he should be a big time villain, but he comes across as a scrub, and a scrub is the kind of guy that can’t get no love from me.

3 Likes