Last Chance & Coming Soon: December 2020

I know it was mentioned that the new comic service would be expanded to include some graphic novels and Black Label books. Has there been official word yet on what will be included? What about DC Universe related Vertigo like Hellblazer, Sandman and Animal Man? Will we lose access to Swamp Thing and Doom Patrol without the original shows they were added to support?

It IS true :grin:, you can reach out to Customer Support for additional confirmation if you would like.

1 Like

Good morning @TheDemonEtrigan!

We are still finalizing everything on the GIANT list of new additions to the DCUi library, but keep an eye out on the Watchtower for announcements regarding this. Please keep in mind that the offices will be closed for the Holidays, so the official announcements will probably come out a little closer to the launch. Hope this helps!

5 Likes

The service is going international, being offered in places where digital DC comics might not widely be available. If anything, that’s a swing towards the positive in new subscribers who have been looking to read certain stories.

6 Likes

1 Like

Marvel Unlimited begs to differ.

2 Likes

The other issue is assuming everyone would pirate the comics. That’s not the majority of fans. Most wouldn’t mind spending eight dollars a month to read comics legally.

Let’s use the British show Red Dwarf as an example. The newest episode The Promised Land came out this year, but sadly it wasn’t available here in the US. Now sure, I could pirate it, but number one, it’s a hassle and number two, it’s not really helping to support something I enjoy. Thankfully, there’s legal options. I could get it on Amazon or I could subscribe to Britbox in order to see it. The fact that it’s on Britbox along with the entire series makes me more likely to subscribe to it. I’m helping to support a service, I’m watching something I enjoy legally and it’s going to open me up to other things on the service I might enjoy.

It’s a similar principle with the comics here on DC Universe.

5 Likes

Oh man, I hope you’re right T.T This is by far my fav streaming service and i would be really sad if it flopped :frowning:

I don’t know any reliable statistics on whether the majority of fans would pirate or not, but I was just going off personal experience of people I talk to; I mean maybe me and my friends just suck and the other fans aren’t like that, ig it’s probably dependent on income and age group, too. It’s just worrisome that without the videos people might choose something more general like netflix or disney+ or hulu over something more niche like dc, y’know?
Plus pirating comics is really not much of a hassle compared with shows…like I could just google the title of whatever comic and easily find a good-quality leak somewhere on the first page of results, and it’ll probably have all the other issues of the title too. Most companies are much stricter about copyright infringement of audio-visual media rather than just visual media, y’know? Ofc I’d like to think the majority of fans usually don’t pirate but I have a hard time believing that’s really the case?? D:
And unlike Marvel, DC doesn’t really have a suuuper successful movie franchise to get previously more casual fans (or even a general mainstream audience) more interested in the comics…So I’m worried Marvel’s comic app isn’t really a fair comparison, either…:frowning:

Ah well, I suppose there’s nothing I can do about it at the end of the day, and of course it is great that we’ll be getting newer comics on here, but…I hope they at least announce where we will be able to stream all the shows at some point…I’m hoping they just all go to HBO since that’s where the live-action stuff has gone but it’d be sad if they ended up all scattered across different streaming services :confused:

1 Like

This service has been going on for two years. The change to DC Universe Infinite has more to do with AT&T and the pandemic more than anything. So I don’t think you have to worry about it flopping, thankfully.

3 Likes

Will this content be available elsewhere?

Hey,

A majority of the video content will be shifting to HBO MAX. We should have more specific details for this closer to the launch of DCU Infinite in January!

6 Likes

Thank you for posting this. It really helps me plan what I want to watch and when before it all goes away…from here at least.

Gotta finish the show I’m watching now and the documentary stuff on here before the 18th as it’ll be tough to find after that. Stuff like:

• Green Lantern: The Animated Series
  • DC Nation Shorts
  • Batman Tech
  • Dark Knight Unmasked: The Psychology of Batman
  • Science of Superman
  • Krypton: Making of a Legend
  • Watchmen: Under the Hood

Most of the other stuff I will either be able to find on HBO Max or my local library on DVD but it was sure nice logging on here and having it all on demand in one place for two years.

6 Likes

So is DCU shutting down or is literally everything just leaveing? (Both are soul crushing) :sob:

1 Like

Pardon?

Dcu is becoming comics only
All video is leaving

See

2 Likes

Hey,

DCU is changing! As of January 21, 2021, DCU will become DCU Infinite which will be a service solely focused on Comics and Comic related entertainment. There will be no video content on the service after this change. A vast majority of that video content will be moving over to HBO MAX by the looks of things if you would like to keep up with your favourite shows!

Please let us know if you have any more questions :slight_smile:

2 Likes

No question just wanted to say I was looking forward to more Swamp Thing. I would not mind if HBO max picked up it from the end with the same actors. I loved seeing the comics I grew up with come to life.

1 Like

I think that if DC has proved anything, it’s that there can always be more to the story!

We don’t have a direct line for HBO MAX, but maybe you can make this request with HBO’s support team and they can be found here.

Let us know if you need anything else! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello @Alec.Holland,
I notice HBO Max aren’t taking the old shows in December, do you know if it’ll get added in January?

1 Like

HBO hasn’t launched info on their releases for 2021, so don’t have any specific details to share for timelines or additions, but if we hear anything, we’ll let you know, @Scroogefan78! :slight_smile:

4 Likes