Jon Kent Changes Starting to Make Me Uncomfortable

I wasn’t trying to say stupid. I’m just saying kids don’t know what’s best for them at the age. I think it’s awesome that you were able to have a great relationship with someone at that age. But most of the kids I know at that age wouldn’t respect someone the way y’all do. So admittedly some kids can mature faster than others. But a lot of the ones I know who are mature for their age were not ready.

:exploding_head: WHAT?

I agree, I even have a fan story about how you could de-age Jon

I was bummed too, that they decided to “age him up” (what’s a good term for it? Hahhaha) but I never even thought about him doing it alone until I seen someone on here comment about it! That would be rough! Just a terrible way to grow up! What’s worse? Every once and awhile some evil version of your dad shows up to just have himself a little cry and then fly off! That would just be really weird!

He could be be Ultraman’s boy or something! Not really being Jon could be a Cool train of thought to follow!

1 Like

@RedHood1919 I 100% agree with you!!! We have missed on so much of Jon’s life and growth. Why? Lazy writing and poor storytelling.

2 Likes

You guys do know Bendis is a member of the community

1 Like

@TheRealDetectiveChimp I hope so.

Just don’t @ Bendis :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I understand the icky factor because he was just 10 then jumps to 17 like a snap and they messed a huge story of Superboy still being a boy but just aged rapidly. They could have even done a Superboy type Big the movie scenario but missed a huge opportunity. I think it would be awesome to show John a little pissed about the fact his super childhood was robbed from him and that it affected him in some way.

2 Likes

I enjoyed young Jon a lot, he was a fun character. I just think it was an odd decision, mostly because I really don’t think they’d come close to running out of stories to tell with him as a young kid.

8 Likes

I’ve been hoping he was going to go back to his original age. He and his parents missed so much.

5 Likes

Unfortunately, I think that’s never going to happen. Bendis just ruined everything good about him, because he wanted a toy to play with in Legion.

3 Likes

Especially with Damian as his partner.

1 Like

Jon Kent was 10 years old when he left home and due to some quirk in time/space returns to earth at age seventeen. Now if he had magically jumped from 10 to 17 I would say no, he can’t handle a mature relationship. But let’s not forget that while he was gone a short time for his parents, to him he was gone the whole seven years. Though much of that time he was a prisoner, of Ultraman, in a hole. The fact that he returned home sane and unbroken says something in and of itself. So we know he was never given a chance to develop mature social skills or even have “that talk” with his dad. I do not think he is ready for a teenaged relationship.

2 Likes

I don’t agree that it’s lazy storytelling. It’s not a device I agree with, but the setup took thought and planning. I don’t love it, but it isn’t the end of the world.

Jon has been around for about four years. If this was a major change to a legacy character I could see you getting upset. Maybe people were this upset when Jurgens made Superman blue/red energy, and I just didn’t know about it because there was no Internet discussion.

Writers come and go. If we don’t like it today…

3 Likes

Exactly, he didn’t give anyone the chance to get used to him at a regular age. Yet they’ve allowed Damian to remain 13 for over a decade. They should have done what they did with Damian, where it shows his possible futures. That would have been something people would like. But instead, he just got lazy and decided to remove the aging process. He admitted to doing that with Miles Morales over at Marvel as well. He says he doesn’t like to write about boring parts of people’s lives. So he skipped it.

2 Likes

That’s subjective for the reader. I’m just saying I don’t have feelings about it one way or another. After reading comics for four decades, I’ve learned to maintain a level of patience with these things. Comics are all about impermanence. Barbara suffered an injury that no human would ever recover from, yet she is swinging around Gotham again. Barry Allen, Hal Jordan and Wally West were dead, and aren’t now due to retcons. I mean, look at Jason Todd.

The point is, we’re supposed to just have fun reading this stuff. Sure, we might not like what is happening sometimes. I’m not loving what is happening in Young Justice and those are some of my favorite characters. I’ve also been here for a Crisis on Infinite Earths, Zero Hour, Infinite Crisis, Flashpoint, and Rebirth. Smaller events like Convergence even change things.

Every time one of these events happens, so much stuff gets erased or reset. It’s just not worth getting stressed over characters being different. Especially considering how quick to hit the reset button DC is.

3 Likes

I couldn’t have said it any better myself.

1 Like

I’m actually OK with Jon aging up because Clark and Lois are struggling with it just as much as readers. I thought this scene in Superman #23 was really powerful!

2 Likes