Jon Kent Changes Starting to Make Me Uncomfortable

I think that Jon aged naturally but in isolation. I could be way off because that’s about when I quit. Spending years alone in a volcano would wreak havoc with social and emotional development so maybe that’s what people mean?

2 Likes

The unnatural thing isn’t from Jon’s perspective, but from ours. That 7 years was 7 years only for him. Nobody else experienced those 7 years. Clark, Lois, Damian, Wally, Kori… Everyone he knows are all still the same age. He went away and came back 7 years older. He has no place other than Legion anymore. He’s outside of Damian’s age group now, so he doesn’t work with Damian’s Teen Titans. Conner is in YJ, so he has no place there. He’s not like 30, so if Titans were reformed, he’d have no place there. His dad is in JLA, so putting him there would be redundant. Mark my words, when Legion gets canceled, it’ll be like Jon doesn’t exist. Conner will be the only Superboy. Bendis just destroyed him and made it where he only fits one place. Unless that crap is retconned, and we get ten year old Jon back, there’s nowhere for him to go. He’s a useless character now.

I meant natural like he experienced each of the days and aged rather than just a fast forward and he woke up older.

I think… everyone needs to get over the fact that Jon is older now.

4 Likes

Yeah, that’s never going to happen. People are still upset about things that happened to Wally ages ago.

1 Like

Whelp… I tried.

3 Likes

Your love of Kara is contagious, so I wish this would happen for you.

2 Likes

We will all get over it when Jon is written well. I have an idea for how to tell an older Jon story, and I actually wrote some of it in a Superman Fanfic. The basic premise is that John has spent so long superheroing that he has lost touch with the human side of him. He’s basically acting like a kryptonian and now he needs to find his humanity. Then it’s about rekindling lost friendships like Damian and finding a new place in his world. We can explore what he thinks being the “ideal human” is as he goes to 11th/12th grade high school and watch as he realizes what being human means.

1 Like

Maybe, Jon Kent as a college aged person could realize and mourn all the childhood he missed and maybe he could go back in time to stop Jor-el from taking Jon into space.

1 Like

We could have a story where Superboy-Prime hits Jon so hard the years just come off. I’m sorry I’m being flippant. I grow tired of changes. I’m just now losing my butt hurt from the New 52 treatment of Superboy.

Something about Bendis and the shield. If it’s Clark, Jon, Kon, or Kara… he just can’t make me happy with them. Superman has been fine, but he can’t write Kon worth a Krypto poopy, and Jon, well… Super Sons was about as fun as DC comics can get.

3 Likes

I just wish editors at DC heard us and understood how much we hate not only what Bendis did to Jon, but to everything in the Superman lineup. He’s ruined everything that Rebirth did to fix the New 52 crap.

3 Likes

I hate to be cynical, but I’ve felt creators have been disconnected for some time. People who were once fans themselves are in charge now. They have the toys now, and they are playing with them the way the want without caring that they’re messing with new America folklore. Our modern tall tales. Mythology.

I feel like most of them have forgotten what it’s like to be a fan (Bendis), or don’t care what fans want (Snyder). Of course, every once in a while someone who still gets us comes along (Simone).

P.S. I’m not defending everything Simone has done, but I think she legit cares about those who read her titles. It’s just an example, and I know there are more like her.

5 Likes

It is still uncomfortable in Teen Titans.

Personally, I don’t think so. I grew up caring for a very ill relative. It made me grow up fast. I had a fairly serious relationship when I was 13 with a girl who grew up in similar conditions.

I’d think Damian’s lifestyle and upbringing would make him very adult for his age. These characters are in very adult situations all the time. When I read Titans I never even see children because of the constant high risk situations they’re in.

Either way, when you have someone so young romantically involved with another character, it’s going to create a sort of subjective fan division. DC should understand this by now.

But that doesn’t help the understand their feelings. Not one bit. I can guarantee Damian learn anything about loving people from his mother, and his father definitely isn’t the best role-model when it comes to that.

I can understand maturity comes with harsh experiences in life. But that doesn’t mean that you should pursue a relationship 5 years away from the legal age to marry. They have it set at 18 for a reason. That allows young people the chance to learn about and understand their feelings. Even if you mature at a faster rate, that doesn’t mean you understand hormones and how to treat another human body with respect.

Damian grew up with the ability to take whatever he wanted. He had no respect for anyone when he came to his father. So getting into a serious relationship at his age isn’t such a good idea.

I understand the Genie girl is 2000+ years old. But that just makes it more creepy. People can pretend (not saying you do) that children are old enough to make these kinds of decisions. But they really aren’t. I know that from my own personal experiences and I’ve never been on a date in my almost 22 years of life.

I talk to actual kids who have been through the kind of hardship you’ve been through. Some of them have been tossed from home to home their entire lives and they learned a lot of things the hard way. But they weren’t ready to love someone in a way that mattered.

Just because there’s an attraction between two people doesn’t mean that it will work.

I may have gone way to far in explaining my view comic book and real life childhood romances. But I’m on lunch right now so I have a lot of free time.

2 Likes

What DC did to Jon and his family is disrespectful of the Superman legend (Are Ma and Pa okay with all this insanity?).

4 Likes

Just not my experience. If I was old enough to get my grandmother from a wheelchair to the shower/toilet, cook her meals, and give her injections of insulin when I was 13… I was more than mature enough to go to the movies, have (relatively) deep conversations on the phone until 2 am, and kiss someone. I was responsible. It was all talk and ended somewhere between first and second base.

I’m just saying that I don’t think that it’s weird for Damien. It’s actually weirder for Jon to be in a relationship even after they aged them up. To me. He developed a lot of his personality in isolation, and as far as it goes, I think that his situation would be a better example of not being mature enough to be in a romantic relationship. The genie girl thing is strange. From what I understand… it reminds me of Twilight. :grimacing:

At least it isn’t Tara Markov and Slade Wilson all over again!?

4 Likes

NEVER!! I tried writing “nevah!” to accentuate the just kidding but it wouldn’t let me post it.

For what it’s worth, I had a pretty healthy relationship when I was 13. I understood my feelings very well. I understood hormones. I understood all of it. Being young doesn’t make you a fool or stupid. I’m not advocating for either of these characters to have a relationship of any sort. I’m just saying that it should wait until 13 or so. It’s not that weird that way… Except in Jon’s case, because he was so abruptly changed, and many of us want him changed back. By the way, 18 is the age of an adult, so the military can have young influential soldiers. 25 is around where our minds and bodies are truly fully developed. That’s where we reach full maturity.

3 Likes

Oh thank gosh it isn’t. But a 2000+ year old Genie is creepy if she wants to date a child.

4 Likes